• May 18, 2024, 07:40:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Holding out hope  (Read 8225 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Holding out hope
« on: March 22, 2023, 07:41:08 AM »

I have access to a track video of the Hypersport but it's unlisted and I don't know if they want it posted.

The bike looks nimble and hits over 128 in the straight but if the business side isn't there someone else will have to pick up where they leave off if they can't continue.

There is supposed to be news in April but with Zero's layoffs, Lightning's "stock" options, Energica's parent company being overvalued at a dime a share and who knows what's going on with Sonders and Stark it just looks like maybe the world isn't ready for mass electric motorcycles yet.

We'll see. 

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Holding out hope
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 08:59:32 AM »

At least Energica is delivering and making good on warranty items etc.
That's something isn't it?

Id buy that for a dollar.

Aaron

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 10:05:36 AM »

I have access to a track video of the Hypersport but it's unlisted and I don't know if they want it posted.

The bike looks nimble and hits over 128 in the straight but if the business side isn't there someone else will have to pick up where they leave off if they can't continue.

There is supposed to be news in April but with Zero's layoffs, Lightning's "stock" options, Energica's parent company being overvalued at a dime a share and who knows what's going on with Sonders and Stark it just looks like maybe the world isn't ready for mass electric motorcycles yet.

We'll see.

Shouldn't there be some sort of dig thrown at LiveWire too?

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 10:11:02 AM »

There's a 5 snark limit per post in this forum.  Maybe next one it'll be squeezed in.

Aaron

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 11:19:13 AM »

We'll see.

I'm sure Energica is on the way to introduce mass market models. I think they're already expanding manufacturing facilities. Zero hopefully will pick up the pace. We certainly need healthy competition from passionate companies making electric bikes. Unfortunately Damon was all talk and no product. Making a good product is hard work and bringing it into production is even harder. Esp when it's as challenging as an electric motorcycle 🙂
Just my 2 cents..
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 02:48:52 PM »

it just looks like maybe the world isn't ready for mass electric motorcycles yet
What? The world already has mass market electric motorcycles. Zero and Energica are doing a great job. It's just Damon that were an obvious failure/scam right from the start. Everyone but you could see that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 02:51:10 PM by Fred »
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

princec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 03:54:21 PM »

Relatedly, the LW1 is finally available in Europe now, and it's priced about the same as its two main competitors so there is now a real choice of bikes. If you're well-heeled, at least.

Cas :)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 08:00:50 PM »

We'll see.

Nah they have a rich dad it doesn't matter what they do.
There's a 5 snark limit per post in this forum.  Maybe next one it'll be squeezed in.

Aaron

No limits but I just said the truth it's only snark if someone feels that it shouldn't have been said.
it just looks like maybe the world isn't ready for mass electric motorcycles yet
What? The world already has mass market electric motorcycles. Zero and Energica are doing a great job. It's just Damon that were an obvious failure/scam right from the start. Everyone but you could see that.
Ah my favorite poster.
Zero still suffers from the same problems it had since the start.  Snapping belts dieing chargers and batteries and DC converters.  Firmware that makes the bike almost unusable aka magic charging.  Now everyone is beating the CCS or die drum.  Maybe they right the ship maybe not.

I tend to agree with ol Electric Terry when he said Energica makes a great bike but has to lose money on each one.
There is an end to that road no matter how nice the scenery is.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:29:50 PM by NEW2elec »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 08:02:59 PM »

Aaron

;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

CagivaRider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 01:00:18 AM »

Hypersport on a test track. Can any of you figure out which track it is? This video is on the page with my Hypersport order information.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 01:05:12 AM by CagivaRider »
2021 Zero S
2019 Zero SR
2015 BMW F800GT
2001 Moto Guzzi V11-Sport
1987 Cagiva Alazzurra 650
1985 Yamaha RZ350

CagivaRider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 02:35:52 AM »

We'll see.

Nah they have a rich dad it doesn't matter what they do.

Aaron

No limits but I just said the truth it's only snark if someone feels that it shouldn't have been said.
Ah my favorite poster.
Zero still suffers from the same problems it had since the start.  Snapping belts dieing chargers and batteries and DC converters.  Firmware that makes the bike almost unusable aka magic charging.  Now everyone is beating the CCS or die drum.  Maybe they right the ship maybe not.

I tend to agree with ol Electric Terry when he said Energica makes a great bike but has to lose money on each one.
There is an end to that road no matter how nice the scenery is.

While there may be people on the Zero EMF who have had problems with their bikes, my wife and I have used our Zero S and SR as our daily riders for many miles. No belt snapping, charging issues or brake problems. The Zero forum is fascinating to follow. There are some very technically knowledgeable people who have updates and issues way beyond the typical owners' comprehension. I find it fascinating and highly recommend folks on this forum to take a look.

I will reiterate that like many forums for many products you tend to hear about failures much more than folks like me who are happy with our bikes.
2021 Zero S
2019 Zero SR
2015 BMW F800GT
1985 Yamaha RZ350

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 06:55:11 AM »

Cagivarider I've had ongoing back and forth discussions with some of these guys for years now.

Most of them were Zero guys, I still have 2 myself. I'm glad yours are good but both of mine needed new batteries chargers and DC converters and people report the same with the Gen 3 bikes.
Now most are Energica super fans which is fine but they also have it in their heads that no one can make a bike that's better. I followed and cheered Energica from when they first came out as a $38k 15kWh 600 pound sport bike.  I called them out when they came out with the Eva which was a weaker Ego with more upright seating that they still wanted as much as they charged for the Ego.  They dropped the price down a year or so later (not because of me but it was crazy to buy the Eva at the time) and they have been picking up speed since they went down to the 25k range.

Damon at least wants to address the need for level 1,2 (full 7kw) and 3 charging.  Trying to make a gas level powerful bike at a lower weight and get more range with better aero.  The warning system (oh and that's all it is/was not something that controlled the bike for you) and shift were just add-ons.  I see on FB they are asking people if they really even want those things or not and most don't care.
about them.

Most people on here didn't like Jay.  They felt he was cocky without a huge tech back ground.  I was banking on Derek from Alta to get the thing going not Jay so he didn't concern me.  I guess Dom did leave which both sucks because he was very likeable and could very well show things aren't working out money wise or in development.

What they are trying to do is damn hard but there has been so much effort and work put into it that I reject a "scam" intent from most of the Damon team at worst.  Iow most were/are trying to make the bikes the best they can be fail or not.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 09:09:42 AM »

I'm all for technological leaps and improvements in the industry, but they have to be based in reality. Before the LiveWire came out, little was known about it. It's no secret that I took some pot shots at it and didn't give it a chance. When it came out, a couple things happened that were very sobering for me:

1.) I got a chance to ride and study one up close for several weeks.

2.) An unnamed person quite involved in the design of the bike reached out. Not only did he let me know how hurtful what I was saying was with the amount of effort he personally had put into this project, he went above and beyond to explain a lot of the technical hurdles and how they overcame them. Without breaking any confidentiality agreements, he answered my questions and corrected a lot of misconceptions I had. I've experienced this before, from certain engineers at Zero.

I was wrong. I admit it, and I ended up making a very positive video review of the LiveWire and still, to this day, I speak very favorably of the bike. Any parsing of my post history here or any other social media platforms will reflect this. Since then I've decided to be a lot more careful. When Damon showed up we had questions. Lots of questions. The claims made were outlandish. Didn't seem real. But I didn't want a LiveWire v2. I asked questions and dug around as much as I could. The answers I was given were, at best, unsatisfactory and, at worst, bullshit. I know how to run basic numbers on bikes and components. I reached out to various industry professionals and contacts and, without bringing up Damon's name, asked what they thought of a claim of X, Y, or Z components with this capability at this weight and these dimensions.

Universally they all either rolled their eyes or just straight up laughed at the absurdity. Over time I was able to relay some of these questions even to Jay himself and he would respond with a straight-up lie. More than once. Repeated lies over a dozen different topics. This is me being a lot more careful because I don't like being wrong; no one does. I'm sorry; there are far, far too many red flags. I am being MORE than fair about this.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 07:54:36 PM »

In my case, I have been tainted by the years-long Lightning episode(s) and Damon was sure starting to sound like another Lightning (which even claimed to have a factory in China). Plus, both the technology and specification claims, along with their various amazing features were way too extreme to design and manufacture for any reasonable amount of money in my opinion. I continue to believe that Damon is never going to be able to mass produce a consumer product with a lot of those unusual features that were originally advertised at a price that the market will bear.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

CagivaRider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 08:52:42 AM »

Running the test mule through its paces

2021 Zero S
2019 Zero SR
2015 BMW F800GT
1985 Yamaha RZ350
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8