• May 08, 2024, 01:29:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: dead zero model S again (2014) - lurching, solenoid clicking, noise  (Read 2116 times)

tico

• View Profile
Re: dead zero model S again (2014) - lurching, solenoid clicking, noise
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 03:16:20 AM »

.. Called into the dealer again, and they're still unable to troubleshoot the problem. Zero apparently asked them to re-time the motor, and now the software that the factory sends out to the dealers is unable to reconnect to my bike.

I was hoping for a christmas miracle, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. It's now 18 days since I first sent in logs when this problem started, and there's no diagnosis yet, so who knows when they can begin repairing it.

I went ahead and called Zero and spoke with Lydia, who promised that someone would call the dealer to help them with this, and then call me back with updates.

We'll see what turns up.

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 11:51:44 PM »

Well, yesterday evening I heard back from Nicholas over at Zero, who said he'd spoken with their techs and the guys at the dealership, and after running a bunch of tests, the problem came down to a loose connector under the seat that seems like it was the cause of the canbus communication errors.

The dealer left me a voicemail as they were closing last night so when I called back I couldn't speak to either of their mechanics about it, but just now when I called them again they said that my bike is ready to go again.

The dealer said that they were waiting for callbacks from Zero, and Zero was saying they were  waiting on callbacks from the dealer, so I'm not sure who dropped the ball. However, it looks like despite my griping that Zero pulled through and was able to get this bike working again!  :)

Lessons learned: take copious notes of every little problem with dates and times, and communicate with both the dealer *and* the factory as soon as a problem occurs *and* at every step along the way so no one drops the ball.

Problem started December 4th, getting a working bike back today, December 23rd.

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 02:02:21 AM »

That's good news! Good to know that eventually, it turned out to be a small problem from a technical point of view.
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 04:38:47 AM »

Yeah! I'm definitely glad to get my bike back :) -- I've already been riding all around running errands today before the holidays.

I haven't looked at the connector that caused the problem, but I'm hoping it's a latching type, so this problem doesn't come back from the daily vibrations of driving.

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 01:07:43 AM »

If you can . . . please find out a bit more regarding the problem and what they did to remedy it - maybe even an image of the problem child.

Many Thanks

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 01:23:35 PM »

I will tell you what I know--
I already have the bike back in my posession (and reassembled of course, so no chance to ask them to take a photo of anything while it was in non-working condition).

They said that the problem was a canbus communication problem, and one of the connectors in the path to the MBB under the seat had the weather proofing seal on it *not* remain attached to the connector when they separated the connector to run a test, and that therefore they concluded that it must have not been sealed well previously and some moisture/vibration caused the intermittent faulty connection of one or more pins.

The repair order / receipt that I got from the dealer just lists 1.25hours of labor and a description of my original problem (basically what I said at the beginning of my first forum post on this thread) and no other details.

Sorry that I couldn't be any more helpful. When I speak with Zero after the holidays, if I hear any other details I'll let you know.

Cheers!

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »

I hope they got it but the "May Not" have been sealed is bothering me, it doesn't sound conclusive but for your sake I hope I'm wrong. Anyhow ride safe!

tico

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 10:10:52 PM »

Yep, I agree that it's not a very satisfying conclusion since they couldn't reproduce the problem when trying to troubleshoot it (besides just observing the problem the first couple of days it was in their shop), so it's pretty hard to be *sure* that this connector was the cause of the problem and not just a *possible* cause of the problem.

Regardless, it's been nice to be riding around again, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Low On Cash

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 05:32:49 AM »

Just be careful in a steep lean or starting out with a bank - if that thing quits, it will take you by surprise.

Ride it like its gonna quit! LOL

Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:30:09 PM by Low On Cash »
Pages: 1 [2]