• May 04, 2024, 07:33:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: RIP Zero MX  (Read 4204 times)

zap mc

• View Profile
RIP Zero MX
« on: November 06, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »

Interesting to note that the Zero MX does not feature in the model range now.
looks like a gap in the market for BRD to slot straight into now Brammo have also dropped the Encite

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Zero MX
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:47:19 PM »

It seems that the stealth dirt-bike market would be compelling, but I imagine it's just not that big relative to the development investment.

zap mc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »

I would have thought it was an easier market to serve in may ways as the bikes don't have to be road legal or homologated.
Zero started off in this market with the old Zero X ( again RIP )
you would have thought people would want to ride a dirt bike without annoying their neighbours, what ever happened to "Brammoparx" ?

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 02:10:51 AM »

Many people who would find the MX acceptable can't afford it.  People spending over $10k on dirt bikes probably wouldn't find the chassis acceptable.  Electric is absolutely the future of off-road, especially with environmental concerns closing in, but even just on merit of what it can be with an electric powertrain.
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:22:39 AM »

If they stuck a zero powertrain into a CRF250 chassis it would probably do great if it was cheap enough.  Modern MX bikes take massive amounts of abuse which the X chassis was never able to cope with.

zap mc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »

If they stuck a zero powertrain into a CRF250 chassis it would probably do great if it was cheap enough.  Modern MX bikes take massive amounts of abuse which the X chassis was never able to cope with.
That reminds me, has anyone heard of these guys?!
http://www.evdrive.com/company/who-we-are/

They do exactly what you mention, but as usual the offering is not "cheap"
The more I look at it, the price is the factor that is holding this industry back from widespread acceptance.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »

I suspect the cost of batteries has a lot to do with that.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Tudor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »

Look at the press images - the MMX specifically, a stripped FX with knobbies and chain drive.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/press/

Image: http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/press-2014/small/mmx/studio/2014_zero-mmx_studio_lp-wbg_1680x1200_press.jpg

skeezmour

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 02:10:26 AM »

That reminds me, has anyone heard of these guys?!
http://www.evdrive.com/company/who-we-are/

They do exactly what you mention, but as usual the offering is not "cheap"
The more I look at it, the price is the factor that is holding this industry back from widespread acceptance.

I have ridden the development bike. It ROCKS! These guys are pros and the CTO is one of the nicest people I have ever meet in the EV world. Very professional and if I had the funds I would purchase one in a heart beat.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »

Electric is absolutely the future of off-road, especially with environmental concerns closing in, but even just on merit of what it can be with an electric powertrain.

I agree! Electric power has such huge advantages over IC on dirt in a number of ways but high torque over a broad range of speeds without shifting certainly tops the list. I've told a lot of dirt riders that if they ride an electric in the dirt they will not want to ride gas again.

I have no desire to ever take a gas bike onto the dirt again. My FX will do 70 to 80 miles of out and back (most dirt rides are out & back) of rough dirt and I'm ready to get off of it by 50.

Trikester

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 08:12:52 AM »

I think that the MX failed because of the price and the lack of a racing class.    Serious MotoCross and Enduro riders want a bike that they can race and the MX was more costly than ICE counterparts and there is no racing class to compete in with it.   

The FX has a much larger market appeal as it can do trails, commuting, or pure street riding.   

I think that the MMX will be marketed directly to military or fleet opportunities rather than sold through the dealer network and that is why you still find it in the marketing literature but not on the main page where different models are listed.

My local dealer did not even bring an MX model in to floor as they thought that they could not sell such a high priced dirt only bike that did not fit into any racing class.  I think they were right.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7
Pages: [1]