• May 16, 2024, 04:16:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Who's taken the coldest Zero ride?  (Read 9443 times)

WindRider

• View Profile
Re: Who's taken the coldest Zero ride?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »

I feel for you guys in the cold temps. I went mountain biking today (see photo) in the Anza-Borrego Desert State park and tomorrow I'll take the 2012 DS out for a dirt ride. The temp today was 60 degrees and no wind. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

Trikester

Hey, nice Mtn bike Trikester.   Those are some fat tires.   

2 degrees here in Idaho this morning. 
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

cirrus pete

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »

It is cold here in the the metro NY area this week. I plugged my bike in last night and this morning it was clear that it had not charged, so I guess the temp regulator was doing its job...

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 12:30:34 AM »

Hey, nice Mtn bike Trikester.   Those are some fat tires.   

The Fatback bikes are made in Alaska for snow riding. I find that it is the perfect bicycle for the sandy desert washes. They build each frame to the person's body measurements so I was able to ask them for a slacker head tube angle to give me more trail for sand riding. They went to the maximum they could do, which was 67*. I can roll off of hard pack into soft sand without a single twitch from the front wheel.

I got all the lightest parts to end up with a 24 pound bike!

Trikester

swiftsam

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2013, 01:23:09 AM »

It is cold here in the the metro NY area this week. I plugged my bike in last night and this morning it was clear that it had not charged, so I guess the temp regulator was doing its job...

It must have been warmer by a few important degrees here in NC.  It got down to 18, but I was charged up in the morning.  It would probably have been finished charging by the time it got below 20.  All that meant was that I had no excuse not to ride in to work when it was about 19.

On a related note, the ignition switch was so stiff from the cold that I couldn't turn it with the key.  I had to get out a hair drier to warm it for a couple of minutes, but then everything worked fine.
2013 S ZF14.4

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2013, 08:11:40 AM »

It's 14 degrees here and my bike didn't charge after returning home from my commute.  Looks like it tried to, but then decided to wait until the temperature rises.  Should get up to 24 tomorrow, and my commute is short so it's no problem.  Good to know their temperature sensors work.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2013, 09:16:15 PM »

It's 14 degrees here and my bike didn't charge after returning home from my commute.  Looks like it tried to, but then decided to wait until the temperature rises.  Should get up to 24 tomorrow, and my commute is short so it's no problem.  Good to know their temperature sensors work.

Wow -- I am impressed that you rode yesterday, Ben.  I am going to wait until AM temps are at least 20.  I don't want to take a chance on the bike cutting out in the middle of the highway or something.

So you rode in the single digits yesterday morning?

--Karl

cirrus pete

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »

Rode my bike to the station this morning 9deg!!! Yesterday and today the bike has riding in "limp" mode I think as when I open the throttle the bike refuses to go above 25mph and generates some sort of mechanical resistance that limits the motor. I am showing half full on bars though. Interesting.

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2013, 02:35:39 AM »

Yesterday and today the bike has riding in "limp" mode I think as when I open the throttle the bike refuses to go above 25mph and generates some sort of mechanical resistance that limits the motor. I am showing half full on bars though. Interesting.

Glad I left the bike home.  "Limp mode" would not be pretty on I287 and the TZ Bridge.

-Karl

cirrus pete

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »

I brought my bike into my mudroom last night to charge as the unheated garage just wasn't going to cut it. Bike much happier this morning, no limp mode down to the station.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2013, 09:59:26 PM »

I have this feeling that Zero, at their relatively warm location in Scotts Valley, CA, never really figured that there would be anyone riding and charging the batteries of their motorcycles in single-digit temperatures.   :o  I know that when the temperature drops below freezing, I stay off two wheels and just wait until it warms up a bit.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

benswing

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2013, 05:59:17 AM »

kcoplan, the temperature when I rode was in the upper 20's, about 28, I think.  Also, my commute to work is about a mile, so there isn't much risk for me.  However, as much as I love riding, I tend to drive my gas guzzling Honda Fit when temps are below freezing overnight.  Mainly as a safety issue in case there is ice.

On another note I just drove home, with my Zero in tow, from a conference for NJ Environmental Educators and parked across the street.  I had some fun spinning the tires in the freshly fallen snow and managed to avoid being freshly fallen myself! 

Hope the weather gives us some better riding days again soon!
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2013, 07:38:42 AM »

I used to ride all winter but I had a few close calls on ice.   It is just to hard to dodge the ice and I would rather avoid breaking bike and bones these days.   I now cutoff riding at less than 38 degrees F to avoid ice in the shady spots of the canyon. 

Having said that, everyone should ride in a raging snowstorm at least once. 
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

dahlheim

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »

when i moved to colorado from new jersey, i was a daily rider 365.  i got stuck (quite literally) in snowpack four times before i put that behavior to an end.  now i pay attention to the temp and precipitation forecast and ride accordingly.

yes, everyone really should experience standing on icy pegs on a big gold wing with 1/2 inch of snow and ice on the windshield, with both wheels wandering about, on the freeway going through the mountains.  or, maybe not.  but it honestly was kind of fun.  i even got more funny stares from passers by than i do with the zero...
currently, 12 Zero DS ZF9, 07CRF450X, 03GL1800, 02R1150GS, 01XR650R, 00XR400R, 76GL1000

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2013, 03:43:59 AM »

I tell my coworkers that I'll take the car if ice is expected. So far we've been lucky - there's been one day where we had ice in the morning, but they opened our work site late and it was gone by that time.

I also got some funny looks riding back a week ago or so when it was snowing pretty heavily.. had to brush two inches of snow from the bike to leave. The parking lot was slick to walk on, but the bike had no problems with grip.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

benswing

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2013, 03:41:35 AM »

All this reading about Terry's ride across the US made me want to go for a joyride.  So, despite 29 degree temps, I hit the road for the hills of western Jersey.

Had a great 60 mile ride, but couldn't feel my feet or face for the last 10 miles.  Got a solid 7.1 miles per bar on the indicator. 

Also managed to find a road that was paved in parts and unpaved in other parts.  Had a blast going up and down the dirt sections on my Zero S, and learned a thing or two about controlled skidding.  The view was tremendous, and I saw some people ice fishing on a lake!  Gotta get a couple more pieces of gear so I can take that ride again soon.  Found some great twisty backcountry roads to carve up.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7