• May 09, 2024, 08:07:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: electric motorcycle (FX/FXS) beginner questions  (Read 979 times)

Alpharesearch

• View Profile
electric motorcycle (FX/FXS) beginner questions
« on: May 11, 2018, 01:57:39 AM »

Hello,

I (male/6'1"/210lb) did do a 2-day motorcycle training class with license test in 2011, but I just never had time or resources to get started. So I'm pretty much a total motorcycle beginner, but I think with an electric motorcycle I will be fine. I believe the ECO mode or some other custom mode for the beginning and not having to shift plus the ABS should all help. Do you think that is a true assessment?

I was looking at the Zero FX/FXS 2017 or 2018 model with the small battery for commuting to work (10mi daily at 35mph-45mph) on good days and also just for fun. All the other models look pretty good too, but I was looking at the most economical way. Did I overlook something?

I like how the FX model looks, but I think to have road tires is better, so the FXS would be my first choice. Or are there other considerations that I'm overlooking?

I like how clean and easy to maintain the electric types look like. However, there is still maintenance I cannot do my self. It looks like the next Zero dealer is still 2 hours via Interstate. To me that looks like a big issue, what do you think?

I do have a minivan and if I put all the seats down it has nearly a 4x8 foot area. Is it possible to transport an electric motorcycle like this or will it leak some kind of break or hydraulic fluid? I do have a hitch, I guess there are trailers as well. But this would be another expense to explain to my wife... 

The weather is not to bad in northeast Tennessee, only a few days below 20 F. I guess for the real cold days the battery could be stored inside the house (if it is removable). Any thoughts about this?

I don't have a garage and to keep the bike out of the rain I was thinking to add a 3x6 or 8x4 "lean-to shed" to my house. I only see a wheelbase measurement and there is only a seat height on the Zero motorcycles web site. What is the area and max height I need to account for?

Thanks,
Markus

Fred

• View Profile
Re: electric motorcycle (FX/FXS) beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:12:59 AM »

It sounds like the bike should suit you fine.

There is almost no maintenance required on a Zero apart from things like tyres and brake pads that any bike dealer can do.

I ended up bringing my FXS home in my VW Transporter van as I hadn't got it registered yet. No problem with that. Make sure you tie it down properly though. You don't want it falling over and getting damaged before you even ride it!
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

gregoryjward

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 03:26:45 AM »

Hi Markus,

The main maintenance you'll need is tires and brake pads as they wear out.  If you're not used to motorcycles, you'll be shocked to learn that 6000-8000 miles is doing pretty well for tire wear before you need to replace.  It's not a do-it-yourself operation for me at least, although I could probably handle brake pad replacement if I applied myself.

If you get an FXS with removable battery/batteries, it still weighs over 200 lbs without batteries installed.  You need two buff guys to lift it into a van, based on my experience.  You shouldn't have any leaks with it on its side, because the hydraulic brake fluid is in sealed reservoirs.  There are no other fluids on the bike.

Seat height is about 33 inches according to the specs <http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/>, and the handlebars are probably another 10 inches above that.  The mirrors stick out pretty far to each side, and ride above the handlebars as well, so a lean-to would need to be pretty wide at the top to work.  You can also get a motorcycle cover, which I would recommend in any case.

Bringing the battery/batteries indoors is a good idea for cold weather.  I bought an outboard charger and connector, which makes it all a little more flexible.

-Greg

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 04:37:54 AM »

Get the FX/FXS with both batteries. You'll quickly realize that you've got the most amazing toy ever, one that makes you feel like Superman every day, otherwise you'll sit there wishing you'd ponied up instead of having hobbled its range.

Even the FX comes with road tires. If you wanted to ride dirt, at the risk of damage to your beautiful commute bike, you'd want to switch to a chain and install knobby tires. The large front wheel makes handling worse on pavement but adds versatility and hooligan appeal. If you have no interest in any of that, then the FXS would be right for you.

For transport, since you have a hitch I'd recommend a hitch hauler like this (example only), which will be useful for a trip to the dealer every once in a while and doesn't require the expense and storage space of a trailer.
https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-400/?CID=PSC-PLA-Google-AMC-400-motorcycle-carriers&st-t=google-motorcycle-carriers&vt-pti=352854064045&vt-k=&vt-m=&CAWELAID=820562990000010230&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=54453591997&CATCI=pla-352854064045&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28_XBRDhARIsAEk21FgMrWa4N3yx4diToUAzEmT9be5A63hxcVStmyIsJtInmCy9A-bZBTUaAhHGEALw_wcB&ppcsclkid=TcNRAe15siH7&ppcstrkid=1069721600&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqlusist

Outdoor storage is punishment for a motorcycle and encourages rust, dust and infestation. But since you have to do it, get a high-quality cover of non-permeable, woven material. A proper storage area would be 4'W x 8'L x 6'H so you can push the bike in and out and accommodate future accessories (my top case makes it around 5'H).

Other than that, there are a few critical things new riders should take to heart.  Be careful with acceleration during turns, including out of parking lots, because the engine is powerful enough to spin up the rear wheel and cause a low-side or high-side crash. Be careful about applying too much front brake, especially while turning because you may wash out or fall in. Always use both brakes and get used to their different aspects. And on an e-bike, ride defensively as if you're silent and invisible, because you pretty much are (that is one of the joys of it).

Alpharesearch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 06:22:41 AM »

Fred, Greg, Curt:
Thank you all so much for answering all my questions.

I never knew something like a hitch hauler existed, I'm glad I asked the experts. This looks like the right approach.

I'm glad to hear most maintenance can be done locally.

I appreciate the safety tips, when the time comes I would like to attend a safety class.

I really would like the larger battery, but at the same time I would like to be able to store the battery inside when it gets really cold. But maybe I can insulate the shack and keep it over a certain temperature. In the end I need to calculate what is more inexpensive and convenient.

I only discovered this community a few day ago, but I did read many threads. This is a great place, thanks again.

willbrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 03:19:31 AM »

I have a hitch hauler from harbor freight for hauling my FX with my minivan.  I remove the modules from the FX to lighten the load on the hitch. 
1980 Honda CT110
1981 Honda CM400
1995 Ducati 900SS
2020 Zero SR/F Seabright Blue Standard
I am a Zero Motorcycles employee, but I speak only for myself
Pages: [1]