• May 08, 2024, 04:50:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anyone Have a DSR + Power Tank?  (Read 1123 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Have a DSR + Power Tank?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 10:12:35 PM »

When I got back, I left the bike in the parking lot and went in to talk to the salesperson.  As I was leaving, almost to my truck, I thought, I should feel how easy it is to push around.  So I went back and grabbed the DSR+CT and pushed it around the parking lot a bit.  I couldn't believe how heavy it felt.  Riding it made it feel like a very light bike, but pushing it by hand all the sudden made it feel much heavier than expected. 
Same goes for my SR with PT. Seems very light and not top heavy while riding. Not even when riding very slowly. Trying to move it up a slight hill by pushing it by hand is a MUCH different story.

But my little DS 6.5 with no tank of any type is easy to push around.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 10:14:16 PM »

Just got off the phone with Zero.

They said a DSR+PT feels pretty much like a DSR+CT.  And even though there is a SR/F-specific assembly line and an "everything else" assembly line, it might be a few weeks before I see the DSR due to the demand the SR/F is putting on them.

He also mentioned to be careful with the throttle on the DSR.  During the test ride I tried to get the rear wheel to break loose a bit, but was unsuccessful.  I did several straight line full power hits from a dead stop and couldn't get it to spin.  I admit I was a bit careful getting on the throttle in corners, but towards the end, I got a little more aggressive with it and still couldn't find a rear wheel spin.

I wonder if the combined weight of me and the CT take kept the rear wheel more planted.  Hoping that was the case, at least.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 10:15:59 PM »

Same goes for my SR with PT. Seems very light and not top heavy while riding. Not even when riding very slowly. Trying to move it up a slight hill by pushing it by hand is a MUCH different story.

But my little DS 6.5 with no tank of any type is easy to push around.
That's good to hear.  My FX is easy to move around as well.  It's light enough that I can grab the rear rack and pick up the back of the bike and slide it over when its in the bed of my truck.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:17:53 PM by Jarrett »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »

Quote from: Jarrett link=topic=9005.msg77410#msg77410
That's good to hear.  My FX is easy to move around as well.  It's light enough that I can grab the rear rack and pick up the back of the bike and slide it over when its in the bed of my truck.
What I really like about my little DS 6.5 is how it can use its own power with me walking with it up the hitch mounted motorcycle ramp on my RV. So easy to get up the ramp compared to ANY ice motorcycle.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 10:42:13 PM »

What I really like about my little DS 6.5 is how it can use its own power with me walking with it up the hitch mounted motorcycle ramp on my RV. So easy to get up the ramp compared to ANY ice motorcycle.

I like that about the FX as well.  I actually put it in 0% torque mode and just gently walk it up the ramp into the back of my truck.

I don't think getting the DSR in/out of the truck will be as easy. 

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 11:00:56 PM »

I like that about the FX as well.  I actually put it in 0% torque mode and just gently walk it up the ramp into the back of my truck.

It should be just as easy, just let the bike do the work and be careful to not make and sudden movements (in either direction) on the throttle. I simply keep my DS 6.5 in the eco mode when I bring it up the ramp because the  very slow speed throttle response is excellent as is.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 11:15:52 PM »

It should be just as easy, just let the bike do the work and be careful to not make and sudden movements (in either direction) on the throttle. I simply keep my DS 6.5 in the eco mode when I bring it up the ramp because the  very slow speed throttle response is excellent as is.

-Don-  Reno, NV
I've noticed during my test rides that Eco mode on the DS models is much difference than Eco mode on the FX models.  The FX has much more low end torque on tap in Eco mode than the DS models do.  That's why I made my custom setting 0% torque on my FX.

When I test rode the DSR, I put it in Eco for a split second and it was so sluggish, I immediately switched back to Sport mode.

The Eco mode on a DS/DSR might be perfect for loading/unloading. 

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 02:45:51 AM »

I've noticed during my test rides that Eco mode on the DS models is much difference than Eco mode on the FX models.  The FX has much more low end torque on tap in Eco mode than the DS models do.  That's why I made my custom setting 0% torque on my FX.

When I test rode the DSR, I put it in Eco for a split second and it was so sluggish, I immediately switched back to Sport mode.

The Eco mode on a DS/DSR might be perfect for loading/unloading.
OIC.  FWIW, in the eco mode, my DS 6.5 has a lot more guts than my SR. But that changes to the opposite in the sport mode.

Since I ride much like a little old lady, at least 95% of my riding on either  bike is in the eco mode. I normally take slow but shorter ways (when possible) to go places when I am on my E-bikes. Perhaps that's why I am always happy with my range on these bikes. I often do better than Zero's city spec for range on a charge.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 02:59:02 AM »

I would probably be happier with the range on mine if I rode like that. 

I'm always like, 'let's see if we can get the front wheel up again!"  :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 07:36:18 AM »

I'll add my 2c:

I own a 2016 DSR with PT. I've spun up the rear wheel on my 2013 DS, but not the DSR, partly from experience and partly because I use a crampbuster to help me stay aware of the throttle position and not accidentally torque it too much. The PT is indeed pretty hefty and does make the bike harder to lift if you drop it, but handling is fine. I always ride in Custom mode (100% torque, 0-20% coasting regen, 100% brake regen).

My bike also has a Hollywood Electrics fairing, a Corbin trunk for the Concours 14, 5 DigiNow units (3 in the pan and 2 on the side), and a reverse mode switch. My range varies between 100 (cold day into a heavy headwind) and 135 miles (warm day with no adverse winds or rain). My range is at least 150 miles at about 45mph.

I've logged about 40,000 miles now on the DSR, with 26,000 miles on the 2013 DS.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 07:43:43 AM »

Just got off the phone with Zero.

They said a DSR+PT feels pretty much like a DSR+CT.  And even though there is a SR/F-specific assembly line and an "everything else" assembly line, it might be a few weeks before I see the DSR due to the demand the SR/F is putting on them.

He also mentioned to be careful with the throttle on the DSR.  During the test ride I tried to get the rear wheel to break loose a bit, but was unsuccessful.  I did several straight line full power hits from a dead stop and couldn't get it to spin.  I admit I was a bit careful getting on the throttle in corners, but towards the end, I got a little more aggressive with it and still couldn't find a rear wheel spin.

I wonder if the combined weight of me and the CT take kept the rear wheel more planted.  Hoping that was the case, at least.

That's interesting because my dsr with no ct or pt will spin-out everytime I want to from a start, even when i punch it at 30mph, and I'm pretty heavy at 220 pounds. It doesn't spin out nearly as much since I switched tires to Bridgestone Battlax Adventure 41f, but still does. I'm pretty sure Zero doesn't allow full torque from a stop for safety reasons and maybe the programming is different between 2017 and 2019, retarding the torque even more. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:39:30 AM by alko »

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 07:47:56 AM »

I'll add my 2c:

I own a 2016 DSR with PT. I've spun up the rear wheel on my 2013 DS, but not the DSR, partly from experience and partly because I use a crampbuster to help me stay aware of the throttle position and not accidentally torque it too much. The PT is indeed pretty hefty and does make the bike harder to lift if you drop it, but handling is fine. I always ride in Custom mode (100% torque, 0-20% coasting regen, 100% brake regen).

My bike also has a Hollywood Electrics fairing, a Corbin trunk for the Concours 14, 5 DigiNow units (3 in the pan and 2 on the side), and a reverse mode switch. My range varies between 100 (cold day into a heavy headwind) and 135 miles (warm day with no adverse winds or rain). My range is at least 150 miles at about 45mph.

I've logged about 40,000 miles now on the DSR, with 26,000 miles on the 2013 DS.

Just out of curiousity, how much does your bike weigh with all that extra stuff? And how fast can you drive to get that 135 mile range? I wish I can do that?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 08:22:04 AM »

I'll add my 2c:

Just out of curiousity, how much does your bike weigh with all that extra stuff? And how fast can you drive to get that 135 mile range? I wish I can do that?

I think it’s just shy of 500lbs. Each charging unit weighs about 7lbs, and the 44lb weight of the PT is noted above. Add in the case and structural bracing for it and the fairing and the pan should add up at or near 500lbs.

It should have a larger fairing on it which would definitely push it over 500, but I have to rework my mount for that to accommodate the charging pan and side units.

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 08:46:55 AM »

Looks good!

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2019, 06:19:21 PM »

Thanks for the additional info.

I have to say I'm hesitant about spending $20k on a bike that I might low side at any point.

I have been watching Pinaero's youtube chronicles about his DSR.  During his 8,000 mile review, he posted that he low sided his bike in the way that most people report it.

From a stop, accelerating through a left turn, rear tire spun up unexpectedly and down he went damaging himself and the bike.  It seems to be a recurring theme with the SR/DSR bikes.

I don't mind stories about people low siding them on a demo ride.  The reason this story stuck with me is he has been riding this bike for 8.000 miles and knows what to expect from it at this point, but lost focus for a second and down he went.  Which means you can never really get comfortable with the bike and cut loose on it, it sounds.  Always have to keep that power in check by either wrist control, cramp buster, custom low torque settings, etc.

It makes me wonder, why buy it if you can't use it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3