• May 13, 2024, 12:22:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Would you be interested in purchasing a compact lightweight 3.3kW charger for USD700?

Yes, one charger for USD700 sounds great, I want one
- 25 (42.4%)
Yes Yes, I'd take two chargers for USD1250
- 12 (20.3%)
No, I need a charger that is waterproof/dustproof
- 14 (23.7%)
No, I'm happy with my current charging setup
- 4 (6.8%)
No, that price is too high for me
- 1 (1.7%)
No, I just love filling out polls
- 3 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Compact lightweight up to 8kW fast charger for under USD1600 delivered  (Read 17233 times)

skoleskibe

• View Profile
Re: Compact lightweight 3.3kW fast charger for USD700
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2017, 04:29:18 PM »

MUST HAVE!!!!!!!

Just wonder, if i Order a 6.6kw/h charger by the end of this week, when will it be shipped? I live in denmark, if i matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »

MUST HAVE!!!!!!!

Just wonder, if i Order a 6.6kw/h charger by the end of this week, when will it be shipped? I live in denmark, if i matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expected delivery to Denmark would be June 19-23 (if ordered by June 7th).
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2017, 09:29:17 PM »

Your shop is blocked by the firewall of my company :(
will wait this evening to order !

New question : With 8kW quick charge (1.3 onboard + 6.6 external), how hot is the battery ?

I've read somewhere here that heat lower the lifetime of the batterie and need to know if i will have to add fan when i use quick charge.
Zero S 11k 2016

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2017, 11:18:34 PM »

Some clarifying information regarding the Mennekes charge stations in Europe:

-the official documentation differs in between 16 and 20A, however they are basically treated the same. Charge points are either 11 kW (16A) or 22 kW (32A) as those are the most common power sources
-if a plug (i.e. evtricity's) ask's for 20A with the 680 ohm resistor, the station will answer how much it can provide and the vehicle needs to adapt to it. As the plug just contains resistors and no further intelligence, it's necessary to make sure not to draw more than 16A (i.e. chargers are set to 16A max)
-you could use an arduino to read the stations power signal, but in most cases you won't need it, as you take care of the current yourself
-if you want to differ in between one phase (i.e. 7.6 kW, 32A) and three phase charging, you need some relay's to switch the chargers from one phase to another. I'm actually doing this with my flatpacks to be able to charge from a usual plug with about 3.5 kW

To sum up:
-with a usual Typ2-plug with resistors in it, it will work fine on nearly every station
-for evtricity's charger: get an additional "household-plug" to C19, so your able to do one phase charging (1.3 or 3.3 kW) or three phase charging (4.6, 6.6 or 8 kW)
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2017, 11:50:14 PM »

-for evtricity's charger: get an additional "household-plug" to C19, so your able to do one phase charging (1.3 or 3.3 kW) or three phase charging (4.6, 6.6 or 8 kW)

Why ? Evtricity said before that it's ok with one phase station, 1 of the 3 plugs will work (1.3 or 3.3kw)
Zero S 11k 2016

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2017, 02:18:14 AM »

Last saturday I was doing a 250 mile trip, and the battery reached 40 celcius when charging at 7kW with an ambient temp of about 26 celcius.

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2017, 02:57:51 AM »

Why ? Evtricity said before that it's ok with one phase station, 1 of the 3 plugs will work (1.3 or 3.3kw)

That is correct. However you might want to be able to charge faster from a household plug in the case of a charge point not working or if you got stranded. Such a cable is not very big or expensive, so I would carry it as an additional reserve.
Zero FXS 6.5 MY16

Wolfsbane

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2017, 04:56:34 AM »

How well does the charger tolerate vibration?

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2017, 05:50:55 AM »

Your shop is blocked by the firewall of my company :(
will wait this evening to order !

New question : With 8kW quick charge (1.3 onboard + 6.6 external), how hot is the battery ?

I've read somewhere here that heat lower the lifetime of the batteries and need to know if i will have to add fan when i use quick charge.

My experiences on battery temperature and charging:
- none of our testers have ever experienced battery overheating from charging at 8kWh
- hard acceleration makes a huge difference to battery temperature, charging not so much
- when battery temperature is above 40C and ambient under 25C, the battery will drop in temperature about 2C per hour
when charging at 4kW.
- when battery temperature is above 40C and charging at 8kW the battery temperature doesn't increase more than 1C per hour

You can't really cool the battery to any meaningful degree with fans - believe me I've tried many ways and missed many end of day track sessions due to the battery overheating from too many fast sessions.

In Summary
8kW charging shouldn't result in pushing battery temperatures above the Zero's thermal limits. These limits are that the bike won't let you charge if the battery temperature is above 50C and shuts down if temperature is above 55C. However, if your riding - track, highway and/or hot conditions drives higher battery temperatures (40+C), you need to be mindful that the battery won't cool when charging at 8kW and your next ride after charging may see you having to slow down to avoid overheating the battery. In these circumstances just keep an eye on battery temperature via the Zero app and keep it under 50C at all times.
2013 Nissan Leaf

grandpa

• View Profile

Very interresting point.
So, you can charge slowly and miss last track session because no more battery, or fast charge and miss last track session because too hot battery -_-

For the battery cooling, someone tell me that he use cryo ice. Seem extrem solution, but if you tell that fan is useless...

Have you tried fan with small cooling system (like air conditioner, or with water evaporator) ?

Zero S 11k 2016

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY

No, the battery overheats because of too many minutes of hard riding. Battery temperature goes up about 3C every 4 minutes on the track.

Fast charging at 8kW doesn't increase battery temperature more than 1C in 60 minutes!
2013 Nissan Leaf

grandpa

• View Profile

yes yes, but if you charge slowly, battery temp goes down 2°C. (and probably more if you charge slower again, or dont charge at all).

Anyway, i only have a zero S, so i will probably dont have temp problem ;-)

Just a good point to know before purchase of a 2018 SR !

Double Charger ordered :)
Zero S 11k 2016

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY

Yes, if you didn't charge for an hour then the bike would be maybe 3-4C lower. At track speed that gets you maybe 5 minutes to get the temperature back to where it was in your last session and then you have no battery left to ride anywhere as you didn't charge after the last session .

You should not have battery overheating issues from riding on the street even with an SR unless you're riding in extreme temperatures and/or illegal speeds for extended periods!
2013 Nissan Leaf

MrDude_1

• View Profile

You should not have battery overheating issues from riding on the street even with an SR unless you're riding in extreme temperatures and/or illegal speeds for extended periods!

Clearly you dont live in the American West. Where 80mph speed limits, and triple digit temps(in F) are normal.

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY

I would consider triple digit Fahrenheit temperatures
to be extreme temperatures for motorcycling in and we had a 46C (115 Fahrenheit)  day in Sydney last summer so we experience conditions like the American West, we just don't consider them normal,  as they are from a global perspective, extreme.

I stand by my comment that on the road you need extreme (>100F) temperatures to overheat the battery or very hard/fast riding. Judging by comments across these forums there are very few people who experience battery overheating in their Zeros on the road and if they do,  it occurs in the conditions I've already stated.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:36:58 PM by evtricity »
2013 Nissan Leaf
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15