• May 04, 2024, 06:51:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ZERO FXS 2020 odometer and polaroid glasses  (Read 325 times)

PeterdeBruin

• View Profile
ZERO FXS 2020 odometer and polaroid glasses
« on: May 29, 2020, 02:40:39 PM »

Hi all,

About a month ago I got my new FXS.
Great fun, now the weather is getting sunnier I got myself some polarised Ray Bans.
When I look through, my odometer seems all washed up in colours.

I attached two pictures, with and seen trough polarised glasses.
On youtube I found that this effect can be caused by uneven transparent surfaces.
I think maybe a proctection sheet? (I cannot see it..)

Anybody know this issue?

Regards from the Netherlands,
Peter

KuRi

• View Profile
Re: ZERO FXS 2020 odometer and polaroid glasses
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 03:45:31 PM »

It is very common... I have this problem with mobile phones, dashboards, and bicycle cycle computers when wearing my polarized sunglasses. I won't buy polarized glasses again :(
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

PeterdeBruin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 05:25:22 PM »

Ah...  thanks Kuri

Glad I did not try to peel of  non existent  "protective covering"  ;D
Well I think I can live with it no big deal ....

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:14:28 PM »

I first noticed that effect while riding my 2012 Zero S. In general, I believe that riding a motorcycle while wearing polarized glasses is not a good idea since they would obscure shiny areas which might indicate a potentially slippery oil, coolant or water area on the pavement.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 11:38:42 PM »

If I remember correctly this happens when you place a transparent object between two polarisers, in this case your glasses and the polariser in the LCD (there's actually two in there and are essential to its function). It shows the internal stresses in the transparent object by the minute variations in refractive index, it probably wouldn't show anything if the dash had a glass cover as it would be stiffer and not be bent simply by being mounted in the case.

Another problem that can arise from wearing sunglasses is you can black out the LCD completely if you tilt you head, a 45° angle will usually do it. This is because the light being reflected off the back surface of the display and back out to your eyes is polarised as it passes through the second polariser, and sunglasses block polarised light at certain angles. Line up those polarisers and no light gets through.

By the way, if you want to see stresses in larger object your computer monitor should work too, just open a blank white page and then place the object in front of the screen. Works well with injection moulded items like plastic forks and CD cases.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 02:14:10 AM »

Yeah, with polarized lenses you get magic powers of seeing which pieces of plastic are pieces of crap and which are actually any good ^-^ It's fun when looking for new sunglasses and having that ability.

Fresh (or fresh enough) oil gives a rainbow sheen while old or cold tar snakes are just flat black.  You get colors instead of bright highlights, tilting your head will change the angle and which light is blocked.  My favorite part is that most of those bright advertising screens are polarized opposite my glasses so I get auto-muted ads while wearing them.

I haven't had that much rainbow on my instrument panel.  Probably varies by when they were made.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]