• May 09, 2024, 04:21:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: An electric Ural sidehack prototype  (Read 433 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
An electric Ural sidehack prototype
« on: November 10, 2018, 09:15:30 PM »

Now here is something a little different. An electric Ural sidehack. Who knew such a thing could exist.    ;)   And one that can actually exceed freeway speed limits.   ;D  https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/09/ural-electric-prototype-review-first-ride-918273/

More information here.  It appears that the electric Ural will be displayed at the Progressive Motorcycle Show in Long Beach next weekend:
https://electricmotorcycles.news/the-ural-all-electric-prototype/

Note that the Ural was developed with Zero electric drive components and likely with help from the factory.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: An electric Ural sidehack prototype
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:29:18 PM »

The motor looks better positioned for cooling than on the Zero.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 09:33:01 PM »

The motor looks better positioned for cooling than on the Zero.

I agree. Plus it fits nicely into a shaft-drive motorcycle.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

caza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 01:13:27 AM »

I really like the way it looks. Very nice blend of modern and classic.

Lack of 2WD is a noticeable downgrade from the gas urals.

I feel like sidecars are meant for a long adventure, meaning you're going to need a lot more range and faster charging than a Zero.

Would love to see nearly double the capacity of the zero and with that bigger pack compatibility with DC fast charging. I would imagine you can fit a second monolith under the passenger seat, even if it eats into the trunk space a bit.

This of course would make for a very expensive bike though.
2015 Zero SR + Power Tank

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 04:37:45 AM »

Definitely looks interesting, but I wonder at the sales potential (don't know what  current Ural sales are, but definitely a very large part of the appeal is that they are cheap)...
The factory was basically fully amortized before a single Ural was made  ;D, because the Soviets stole the design from BMW and reverse engineered molds & dies from several bikes they smuggled out of Sweden.

With a 20kWh battery, this won't be cheap, but I hope it does end up getting produced.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 08:50:08 AM »

So I got my motor commissioned today at Blue Moon Cycles which is a unique dealer to say the least.
Packed with vintage sidecar equipped BMW's, Harley's and a lot of bikes I've never heard of.
They are a Zero dealer and also a Ural dealer with about six of them on the floor.  I asked the sales lady if she knew about the electric one and she said she missed the dealer meeting where they showed it off but hoped they would make them for sale.
On a side note while talking about the Zero's (they had a 19 SR and DSR) she said a lot of riders were put off by the seat height.
Maybe a three brick monolith with the forth brick in the power tank spot to lower the seat height in the forth brick's void?
Pages: [1]