• May 07, 2024, 09:53:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Charge Tank Prototype...  (Read 5260 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Charge Tank Prototype...
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »

Color me interested too, Brandon! The "gas tank" area seems like prime real estate on these bikes, and higher-capacity charging seems like a better use for that space than a few more batteries. Sweet solution; do you know where the price points are going to be? I'd want as much horsepower as would fit in the available space.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 03:20:15 AM »

Cowboy, what input voltages will be supported?

I'd be very interested in the 2kW unit and I'd probably add a toggle switch for slow (stock charger), fast (tank charger) and faster (combined) charging selection depending on the infrastructure available...

On your 2013 it will slide right down in there perfectly. You'll need a little better securing than 2014 & newer models as the basket gives a perfect secure fit.

Cowboy, what input voltages will be supported?

I'd be very interested in the 2kW unit and I'd probably add a toggle switch for slow (stock charger), fast (tank charger) and faster (combined) charging selection depending on the infrastructure available...

What voltage do you need? Right now we have 116-118v support but can support a wider range if needed.

Color me interested too, Brandon! The "gas tank" area seems like prime real estate on these bikes, and higher-capacity charging seems like a better use for that space than a few more batteries. Sweet solution; do you know where the price points are going to be? I'd want as much horsepower as would fit in the available space.

Price points aren't set yet. Give Harlan a call about them. Totally agree about better use of space. Charging faster is so much better than a few more miles and a longer charge time, for me anyway.

-Brandon

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 04:10:47 AM »

Would be great to have a 240V AC version for Europe, Australia, Asia, Africa, etc
The toggle switch idea is great idea too.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 04:28:16 AM »

Would be great to have a 240V AC version for Europe, Australia, Asia, Africa, etc
The toggle switch idea is great idea too.

Yes, indeed we can take just under 100v to just over 300v. On the original tank, I would bring an extra bike to the race and use it to charge my bike through the chargers from my power tank. I would remove them for the race but still use them at the track for charging. Was very handy incase I had a nema 14-50 or RV plug.

-Brandon

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 04:48:39 AM »

I don't know, but I would think the problem with those chargers for use outside of North America is not to do with input voltage, but with the power connector.  One would have to have a Mennekes inlet on the charger to work with common European car chargers, for example.

That is one great thing that is unique about CHAdeMO, it uses the same connector/inlet form no matter where you are on Earth.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »

Changing the input AC connector is easy, and like Doc and Burton do, you want to be able to make adapters to suit what is locally available.
Australia has 240Vac 10A domestic and 240Vac 15A at caravan parks and also can be installed at home or work for high current loads like electric welders.
public charging is very rare, but it slowly happening as a few Nissan Leafs and Mitusbishi imev and Volts are sold. Tesla will also start sales soon.
No Governemnt rebates or incentives, they get too much tax from fuel to encourage not to use it. :(

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 01:52:40 AM »

Any prices??

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 06:20:22 AM »

I would prefer to have a secondary charger that can be quickly mounted when needed or removed when not. I would hope for recharge time (20-80%) of one hour. I would really like a rear-fender rack that could hold a secondary charger for weekend rides; weekdays the rack could hold my lunch bag.

Waiting for the DSR with onboard level 2 charging. I'm patient.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 07:23:14 AM »

I would prefer to have a secondary charger that can be quickly mounted when needed or removed when not. I would hope for recharge time (20-80%) of one hour. I would really like a rear-fender rack that could hold a secondary charger for weekend rides; weekdays the rack could hold my lunch bag.

Waiting for the DSR with onboard level 2 charging. I'm patient.

I completely agree. 6.6kw is overkill to always have on the bike. I would like to see the quick charger be removable and be an accessory. This would help lower the baseline price of the Zero. Most of the time I would not have it on the bike. But it would be nice to attach it for a road trip.

Using the current onboard charger is also easier on the battery. I would be curious to know how much extra life could be squeezed out of the battery if the bike is charged at only 1.3 kw for its whole life as opposed to 6.6 kw for its whole life.

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 08:30:14 AM »

Is there anything out there that can replace the stock charger with something faster?  I am not sure if it's impossible to fit, say a 2500 watt charger in place of the 1300 but if we could come up with something like that I would be really interested.  I am growing to like the storage of my tank bag.  If I had to go with the tank charger I would like something that is removable as well.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 08:36:32 AM »

I am growing to like the storage of my tank bag.

If you like the tank bag, I have two words for you: Trunk. Okay, I have one word for you.

Seriously, the trunk is far larger, easily and quickly lockable (I hate that stupid tank bag lock), and just generally far more useful. I'm a big fan of Electric Cowboy's tank charger, though Doctorbass has me seriously considering rolling my own now. Decisions, decisions.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »

Yeah I guess I just don't really want a trunk at this point.  I like the clean look the way the bike is.  I agree the tank bag is cheap and should have a hard locking lid but I do like having a small spot for storage when other similar bikes do not.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »

Fast charging is not an issue, what kills li-ion is charging to full. If you don't charge to full battery life improves greatly. Also less time getting to full is better.
At full charge lithium metal and other cell impurities is deposited on  the carbon electrode. This reduces electrolyte access to electrode, it eventual forms a barrier and loss of  electrode use.
This is why EV never fully charge and discharge to cell  limits, but some % like 10% to 90% of cell capacity.

Video below explains how li-ion cells die and also how chemical additives improve cell life and efficiency.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:54:29 AM by firepower »

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 09:41:46 AM »

For me, the ideal set up would be:
  • A 2500W tank charger with a J-plug that also allows the onboard 1300W charger to connect for total charging speed of 3.8kW.
  • Plus an extra 2500W (Elcon?) charger that is removable for longer trips, which would bring the speed up to 5 kW or 6.3 kW

The way I see it, the big advantage of the tank charger is not only to reduce the "stock" charging time by a factor of almost 3, but also to give the option to use level II chargers when needed, and all that without having to add and remove anything to the bike.  But then, when going on a longer trip, that's when I'd add the extra charger...  That's almost like having your cake and eating it too.  ;)
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 01:02:46 PM »

A Mennenkes style plug and faster charging is becoming a must have item for me.

I'd happily have one of these tanks and refit the J1772 plug (which have been phased out in the UK) for a type 2 plug (which are J1772 compatible).
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900
Pages: 1 [2] 3