• May 15, 2024, 11:40:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Intermittant "stalling"  (Read 1681 times)

Galactus-X

• View Profile
Intermittant "stalling"
« on: March 01, 2023, 08:14:07 AM »

Hi folks,

I've had this problem for a little while now, where I put the key in the bike (2016 DSR), it looks like its going to show the green center circle meaning its ready to go, but then it switches to the red flashing triangle (slow flashes, like its a turn signal).

At first I thought it was just because its been cold and wet outside, and when it got warmer this would go away (since it happened before, and this is what happened).  But now it has been warm outside for some time, and this happened when I was on a busy onramp going home, where the bike was going fine, then it just shut off and the triangle flashing showed up (slow, steady flashes, like the kickstand is down).

This happened a few weeks ago, and after I turned the key off and on for a while, it eventually went back to ready and drove all the way home, no problem.  Basically, this is what happened tonight, but it just shut off on a busy onramp!!!  Took about 15 minutes of turning the key on and off to get it to be run-ready. 

I don't like taking it to the shop, since they ripped me off for a big ticket repair that turned out to be unnecessary at one point, and they like to charge $700 to replace a belt, so now I buy belts for $50 and do it myself in 15 minutes....

I'd like to fix this myself if I could, but I need to know whats wrong.  No problem turning a wrench to fix things.  Any help is appreciated troubleshooting and fixing!!!

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Intermittant "stalling"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 01:25:02 AM »

I would note the exact times this happened. Then, using your Zero app, download the bike logs and email them to yourself. Then, using Greg's parser, upload them here: https://home.hasslers.net/zerologparser/

Look at the MBB and BMS logs for the time the incidents occurred and see what sort of errors the bike is reporting. Even if you don't necessarily know what you're looking at, you can report back here what you find. Could be as simple as a loose connection, but the logs may give us an indicator of where to look.

Galactus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 03:08:28 AM »

Logging seems to have stopped in December.  I'll see if I can download again.

Galactus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 03:08:59 AM »

battery

Galactus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 03:16:04 AM »

The second downloads are just the same.  Data stops in December, no current logs.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 03:31:51 AM »

The bike should be making logs constantly, I can't think of any way that it wouldn't. Like it's an inherent function of the MBB. We also can't really tell anything without having a time for when the fault occurs, it could be something that otherwise appears to be normal such as the killswitch being on or the kickstand down.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 03:35:07 AM »

Yeah, this is why I asked that you please take note of when the faults occur and then line them up with what you see in the logs. I'm not parsing your logs blindly, my dude.

Galactus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 05:00:13 AM »

I understand.  I'm just curious why it stopped logging after December, or I could line up a time for you from yesterday.   Maybe I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take this in to the shop.  I think they charge me big $$$$ thinking I'll upgrade to a newer year if its high enough, as if I have money to do that.....

But thanks for offering.  Must be some kind of major fault that's making it so the logs aren't recording data.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 05:13:26 AM »

Could it just be that the timestamps are off? Like the most recent odo reading in the logs is 20,769km, does that sound like what you had back in late December or could that be current?

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 12:17:08 AM »

Configure your dash to display real-time fault codes.

I’m curious as to we’re you find $50 belts & even more so fascinated how you manage to change a belt in 15min.   
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 12:33:56 AM »

I’m curious as to we’re you find $50 belts & even more so fascinated how you manage to change a belt in 15min.   

It's easy, you just cut the old one and tape the new one to it, hit the throttle and it spools the old one off and sucks the new one right on.  Tighten the nut and it's a done deal!  A little belt dressing and the lump where you melted it back together, you can hardly feel it anymore!  8)  :P  ;D

Aaron
Pages: [1]