• May 19, 2024, 06:23:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2016 Zero S completely dead  (Read 1209 times)

HMBAtrail

• View Profile
2016 Zero S completely dead
« on: April 13, 2022, 04:27:07 AM »

Hey there gang.  I'm sure this has been answered before but I'm not entirely sure what the correct terminology is so I'm not confident on what to search for.  But here's the situation:

My 2016 Zero S ran beautifully when I rode it last December.  However, while it was in the garage the ignition key was switched on (I suspect from one of my inquisitive nieces) and left on pretty much all Winter and Spring unnoticed.  No, the bike was not on a charger.  So the battery is quite quite quite dead.  Attempts to charge it from either 110v or the 220v charger won't work.  Zero charging.  No amp draw via the level 2 charger in the garage.  Dash won't light up, lights won't come on, nothing.  Nada.  Zilch.  Under the plastic tank cover is, well, I'm not sure what the hell it is.  But it is a rectangular box and has a fan mounted on it.  When I plug the bike in to charge, that fan spins for about half a second and then stops.  There is a red light on the top of the box flashing.  I've never known a flashing red light to ever mean anything good.  Checked all the 12v fuses and they are good.  Checked the two high voltage fuses I could find and they are fine too.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

rgutt

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Zero S completely dead
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 05:19:17 AM »

The battery voltage probably went so low the BMS cut out. Assuming the battery isn't already a paperweight, you could either go to a dealer and hope they can force the contactor to close so the battery can take a charge, or you can manually close the contactor and hook the battery up to an external lithium battery charger long enough to get the voltage back up. Really, if you open up the pack to get to the contactor, you could just connect your external charger directly to the pack on the other side of the contactor and not bother with trying to close it.

Before you do all that though, there is a pin on the main battery connector that is always at battery voltage. I'm not sure which one it is off the top of my head. If the voltage you measure is less than about 70 volts, the battery is toast no matter what you do.

TEV

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Zero S completely dead
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 03:53:30 PM »

Check/reset the BMS lights on the battery https://zeromanual.com/wiki/BMS_Reset_Procedure
With the key on, and no activity, the Zero it's turning off after one hour, so the key on shouldn't be the culprit.
Can you post a picture or video of the box with the fan and blinking light? I don't believe that is a Zero OEM part, maybe is an aftermarket charger?
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS
Pages: [1]