• May 04, 2024, 01:40:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I expected more on the software side of my electric motorcycle  (Read 1120 times)

MajorMajor

• View Profile
I expected more on the software side of my electric motorcycle
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:26:03 PM »

First of all, I am super happy with my FXS for everything except for the range (I enjoy riding it so much that I'm exceeding my initial expected range).

I feel like we're missing out on a lot of the benefits of using a software controlled motorcycle.
Considering how expensive the bike is, especially the changes which are mostly software based could give a much more luxurious feel to the bike without too much additional cost.

1. Reverse
2. Adjustable regenerative braking (instead of instant full on) - also a form of combined braking with regenerative on rear and mechanical on front.
3. Customization (power curve, regenerative braking, profiles) could be much better
4. Brake lever for rear brake instead of foot brake (regenerative only?)
5. Security system (no start without bluetooth connection to phone or anything else)
6. Keyless start via phone
7. Valet\Garage mode
8. Cruise control
9. LED lamps with blink patterns for emergency braking.

Am I asking for too much or should I be asking for more?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: I expected more on the software side of my electric motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »

Here's what you're paying for: a $6.5k motorcycle with a $3k battery. That's how this works.

Some of that can be had with the third party market. But the integrated electronics requests are not OEM supported yet, although an enterprising dealer like Hollywood Electrics can work them out for you.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:06:33 PM »

FXS is 11K

Yes, a huge chunk of that is the battery.
Just to reiterate my point again, the software tweaks are what I'm interested in.
The changes wouldn't be free but they are a fraction of the hardware costs.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
I expected more on the software side of my electric motorcycle
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »

Word from the manufacturer is that the drive train tweaks would not fly with regulators, or have not fit into development budgets yet. (To their frustration as well as ours.)

I'm hoping we can scale expertise like Hollywood Electrics to at least a few other businesses or hobbyists to implement some of them. One issue is that Sevcon makes the controller and charges $900 at least for the software to work with it, and even then Zero has software customizations which make some work hard to carry out safely without dealer licensing.

Blinking tail lights is a relatively solved accessory problem, by the way, and mods have been made for the brake lever ideas. I have blinking tail lights, mechanical throttle lock, and am working on a reverse throttle mode for backing up downhill gravel etc.

See: http://zeromanual.com
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:33:43 PM by BrianTRice »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 03:31:13 AM »

BMW will be offering a "blinking" taillight for their some of their 2017 motorcycles that will apparently blink at different speeds depending upon the amount of deceleration (as I recall from an article a few months ago), but it will not be available in the U.S. as so far our regulators are not buying into that technology.    ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 03:49:34 AM »

You can ask for anything and much of what you asked for has already done by myself and others and documented on this forum but the challenges are:
- most users don't want or need most of these items
- you can't necessary do it all at the same time

So to your points:
1. Reverse
- already done by forum members but unnecessary for a 120-180kg motorcycle and would make potential buyers baulk at buying one because they would ask why it needs it when few if any 120-180kg bikes have reverse
2. Adjustable regenerative braking (instead of instant full on) - also a form of combined braking with regenerative on rear and mechanical on front
- The front brake lever already incorporates combined rear regen and front mechanical braking as the regen comes on when you first pull the front brake lever
- Variable regeneration lever (left hand rear brake). Done - and it's awesome for the street but on the track overheats the motor when the bike is already at its limits with heat from accelerating without decelerating heat adding to it.
- Left Hand rear disc brake. Done
But you have decide whether you want a left hand regen or mechanical brake! Most riders are expecting a rear foot brake so even though it is an anachronism tied to the fact that a gas bike has clutch and gears and the only spare limb was the right leg you are going to upset people if you remove it and put it on the left handlebar!
3. Customization (power curve, regenerative braking, profiles) could be much better
- you can custom program all this with the right cables and software as many have done but you'll void the warranty and some setting changes will make the bike dangerous so I can understand why Zero wouldn't want to offer more control in this area.
- How much better could it be? I have access to modify all these things and there is little that you want to change that isn't already available. The power curve is the maximum torque the motor supports at each rpm (without risking power cutouts) and you can dial this down in custom mode. The throttle mapping is linear to torque and I don't know why you'd want to make it anything different - turning the throttle and getting a disproportionate response from the motor is very unnerving and dangerous if you give your bike to a friend to ride. The only item that I would agree on is adjustable regen by way of a left hand regen (brake) lever and that is why I built one and it's awesome for the street. The adjustable regen lever also allows you to have much more powerful regen too, as you don't want strong regen when it's either full regen (neutral throttle/ first front brake lever pull) or acceleration as its is with the stock Zeros.
- see point 2 above
5. Security system (no start without bluetooth connection to phone or anything else)
- RFID key access done but what value is this security anyway. The bikes can be picked up into a van in less than 30 seconds. A key is fine for dumb thieves.
- RFID already done but again, for what value and if your phone battery is flat you're trucked.
7. Valet\Garage mode
Custom mode already exists and allows you to set torque etc and although I've never heard of valet motorcycle parking for those few places on the planet that offer it there are much more powerful bikes out there that they can attempt antics on.
8. Cruise control
The Zeros are not touring bikes so cruise control would get minimal or no use by the majority of customers. You wouldn't get far on a FXS at freeway speeds in any case.
Maybe but this really isn't a software thing (without an internal gyro or something like that) as emergency braking will be mechanical and not tied to the motor

2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 03:52:36 AM »

FXS is 11K

Yes, I'm sure you paid that. For what it's worth, I extrapolated based on the list price since they (or I) don't know your fee/tax structure. Noting the difference between the 3.3 and 6.5, that yields basically a $6500 motorcycle with two $2250 battery units (and yes that ignores the federal tax rebate that they roll into the list price on the page).

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 04:26:22 AM »

Personally, I'm glad my Zero has a foot brake. It makes it very easy to hold my bike on a hill while I use both hands to get out and then put away a card that I must swipe to open a gate.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 08:19:42 AM »

The changes which are mostly software based could give a much more luxurious feel to the bike without too much additional cost.
1. Reverse
2. Adjustable regenerative braking (instead of instant full on) - also a form of combined braking with regenerative on rear and mechanical on front.

These are the next two customizations I want to do on my '13 DS.  Unfortunately, although it's already been done by a few people on the forum, it requires a level of expertise that is far above the average (or at least mine), and equipment that is hard to come by (sevcon cables, software, and passwords).  So I wouldn't call it "done".  A dealership or third party solution would be really nice, but a stock solution would be even more appealing.  I would seriously consider buying a new bike if these were implemented at Zero...
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 08:28:53 AM »

First of all, I am super happy with my FXS for everything except for the range (I enjoy riding it so much that I'm exceeding my initial expected range).

I feel like we're missing out on a lot of the benefits of using a software controlled motorcycle.
Considering how expensive the bike is, especially the changes which are mostly software based could give a much more luxurious feel to the bike without too much additional cost.

1. Reverse
7. Valet\Garage mode
8. Cruise control

Am I asking for too much or should I be asking for more?

I think these things will come. I think the next steps are ABS on all models, and then traction control. Maybe the software and brake options could be done quicker, but remember the third party people can go faster with less regulatory and development issues. It'll be a while before these things are factory standard or options.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 01:29:51 AM »

I think Zero have achieved nothing short of a miracle, all things considered. It's all too easy to expect bikes to have the same features as cars, but it's an entirely different ball game. It's such a small market and resources for development are extremely limited.

I've been guilty of wondering why certain features aren't already available. Having gained some idea of how much time and effort it can take to develop and bring things to market, I now have very few expectations. Any improvements Zero manage to rollout each year deserve a massive pat on the back and much celebration. If Zero can keep improving quality and reliability whilst chipping away at cost, then that's fantastic. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

I've no doubt that Zero are keen to implement some of the features mentioned and I'm sure they'll happen. They still have a great product without them and I really want to see more and more people getting an opportunity to get one.
Pages: [1]