• May 07, 2024, 05:12:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Got my new SR! But it's a little sick :(  (Read 3142 times)

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
Re: Got my new SR! But it's a little sick :(
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 01:13:58 AM »

Do you have a photo of the back of the bike pillion seat area, with seat and panels off, I want to make a custom luggage rack and need a photo of rear sub frame.
My SR wont be delivered until March or April.
When I visited Intermot in 2012 and 2014 I made some photos of the stock luggage rack, maybe they are useful to you.
You can find them via below links:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjCo6T4N

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk4cJfdC

Once you go EV, gas is history!

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 01:21:59 AM »

FYI, I know the 2015 racks "have been redesigned" which is why I am still waiting on mine, so that picture might be a bit out of date.

And also, I've never seen OEM racks without some ridiculous weight limit of "two kittens and a feather" which is annoying as I depend on my bike to get groceries home, so I usually ignore it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:23:51 AM by CrashCash »
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 02:14:26 AM »

That's all for now...  I haven't decided what the next step is.  I'm waiting on a response from Zero.  I'm currently just under 300 miles.  If they're willing to send me a DC-DC converter, I'll probably go that route.  If not, I guess I'll be making an extra trip to Austin, because it'll take me weeks to hit 600 miles at this rate, and I won't be getting full enjoyment out of the bike in the meantime.

Jason,

No need to wait on any response from the factory.  You should get your motorcycle to your dealer as they have the training and tools to diagnose and get this resolved quickly.  I found your customer information in our system and am creating a Technical Case to track the work at AF1.  I'll send you the case number via PM.  And I'll have one of our Customer Service Technicians look this over and reach out to AF1 to make sure they are looking for you.

Sorry you are seeing this problem!
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:43 AM »

Hi Aaron,
Thanks for the response, but I have called the factory and left a message, so it seems worthwhile to see what they say... Unless you're responding to that call here.

While I absolutely agree that getting the bike to the dealer is the ultimate answer, you may have noted above that I live in Houston, and the Dealer is in Austin.  With a 350 mile round trip involved, I'd like to minimize the number of trips I have to make :-D 

Part of that means delaying until I take it there for the 600 mile checkup, if possible (my commute is 50 miles a day, if I can ride it, so it won't take long...), and part of that means making sure they have the parts on hand to fix it when I bring it in so that I don't have to drop it off and come back some other time to pick it up again...  Waiting overnight might be doable, but only if I take a day off work, since they're closed on Sundays, as is usual for MC dealers.

UPDATE on the topic, for those interested.  Following up on my recent suspicion that the temperature may have something to do with the problem, I parked the bike on the heated side of my garage (the "shop") today, and left it there while I went to work.  When I came home, I turned the key, got headlight flickers immediately, vs. the lack of response I've typically seen the last few days.  I'd say that's good news.  Except that it means duplicating the issue may be tricky if the weather takes a turn for the warmer...

Jason
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 08:00:05 AM »

He responded here for you, what I got from it. Arron  is in charge of after sale service, so he is the top of the department.

To me it doesn't sound like the dc to dc

I hate to say it but I think dealer is your best option.
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 12:16:29 PM »

Hi,
Haven't posted an update here in a while because I was riding... :)

I determined that by parking in the heatable (shop) side of my garage at home, and near some A/C units that are IN the parking garage at work, the bike stays warm enough that I can either turn the bike on and enjoy working 12V, or have working 12V after 10-60 seconds of flickering.

With that in mind, and some "Long Way Home" rides home, I managed to get to "approximately 600 miles" by Friday of last week, and put it in the truck Saturday morning and drove it 175 miles west, back out to Austin for its 600 mile check up and to get the 12V system fixed.

Had a brief chat with Brent, demonstrated the problem, and explained that if he kept it warm he may not be able to duplicate the problem.  I hope to hear tomorrow that they've identified the problem and ordered whatever parts are needed.  I'm betting the gas money to drive to Austin that it's a DC/DC converter... Oh, wait, that money's been spent.  Damn.

Well, hopefully it's sorted in time for me to pick it up this weekend, but if not, probably the week after.

Otherwise...  I've been commuting to work on it, obviously.  It's about 25 miles each way, mostly highway, and since I take the HOV lane (car pool lane), it moves pretty fast most days.
I have the PT, for a total of 15.3kwh, or whatever it is (something like that), and I have been making it into work with about 65% remaining.  Generally, I get home with somewhere around 30% remaining.  There's a bit of power available where I work, but not exactly where I like to park (and certainly not near those AC units that enable me to make it home with 12v working!)  I'm OK with that - that's why I bought the Power Tank. 

My ride is about 19-20 miles highway (out of 25, each way), with average speeds ranging from 65-75 mph, with brief bits down to 55 or up to 80/85.   Mostly in the high 60's, low 70's. All speeds are indicated.  I haven't compared with a GPS to see if the Zero suffers the wild optimism that all my other bikes have suffered.  Anyway, I'm going with the flow, not crouching, not streamlined, with no windscreen, and I can make it back and forth to my workplace on a single charge and no real reason for range anxiety (other than an efficiency OCD).  Oh, and the temperature has been cool.  Cold even, depending on your definition.  I'd say some days were in the 40's in the mornings, and only one day was warm enough in the afternoon that I would have been comfortable without my Aerostich.  I'm looking forward to what warmer weather does for my range, and confident I could make it even on really cold days (I don't ride in freezing weather if I think precipitation is a real possibilty... This is Texas, not Montana!)

On my Long Way Home days, I got to about 75-80 miles of mostly highway, with speeds tapering off toward the tail end to make sure I made it home.  I've made it home on those days with 4-7% SOC remaining. 

In this temperature, without crouching, I'd say the 94 miles at 70mph is not possible, but I'd be willing to believe that in warmer weather, crouched, it may be doable.  (Keep in mind, about ten of those 75-80 miles were at 'city' speeds, not 70 mph)

All in all, really enjoying the bike, and looking forward to what comes of the recent chatter about Vetter making a fairing for the Zero SR.  My goal (probably not too useful) would be to fair it in a way that preserves classic motorcycle looks - and hoonability* - as much as possible, while boosting range as much as those constraints allow.  I've been looking at pictures of cafe-racer-style fairings, and trying to imagine them applied to a Zero, with concessions for comfort (i.e. no race crouch).

*hoonability - maybe not a word, but I like the feel of this small, light-ish, naked bike.  I like how agile it is at low speeds, and how much easier it is to work in downtown traffic than my sport-tourer BMW R1150RS.  I'm not really hooning it, but it feels like it when compared to the Beemer and the Super Hawk I also had until recently.

Jason
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 09:33:25 PM »

Jason, out of curiosity, how long does it take for your bike to recharge when you run the battery down to near empty?  When I ran my battery to empty, it took 15 hours to fully recharge back to 98%.  (Somewhat more than what Zero claims in their ads.)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 11:09:33 PM »

Cold and wet in a lot of Texas today. Even I am not riding.

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 02:31:14 AM »

Jason, out of curiosity, how long does it take for your bike to recharge when you run the battery down to near empty?  When I ran my battery to empty, it took 15 hours to fully recharge back to 98%.  (Somewhat more than what Zero claims in their ads.)

I haven't run it down 'all the way' (it wasn't even showing signs of reduced power, though I wasn't taxing it much as I got close to home), it was back to 100% by the time I needed it to be, probably 13 or 14 hours later.  I don't know how long it took to get to 100%.

You said 'fully recharge back to 98%'...  Does yours not reach 100%? Ever? I'd guess there's a problem if that's true.
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 02:33:14 AM »

Cold and wet in a lot of Texas today. Even I am not riding.

I managed to beat the rain this morning.  We'll see how I fare on the way home!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:27:12 AM by JasonS »
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 04:07:20 AM »

I haven't run it down 'all the way' (it wasn't even showing signs of reduced power, though I wasn't taxing it much as I got close to home), it was back to 100% by the time I needed it to be, probably 13 or 14 hours later.  I don't know how long it took to get to 100%.

You said 'fully recharge back to 98%'...  Does yours not reach 100%? Ever? I'd guess there's a problem if that's true.

My bike stops charging at 98% then 24 hours later it turns back on by itself and continues charging to 100%, at which time the Zero app says that I have 13.34 kWh of power in my battery pack. That works for me.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 06:31:15 AM »

Wrapping up this thread, I got the bike back from AF-1 Racing last weekend - it was in their care for three weeks to have the 600 mile service done, and to replace the DC-DC converter.  There was no charge for the visit, which I appreciated.  I get the feeling that it took so long because Zero wasn't exactly responsive to AF-1's calls on the topic of the converter, and the amount of time it took for the new converter to arrive.  I think it was actually ready on a Tuesday or Wednesday, but I wasn't able to get back to Austin till the following Friday, so, from that perspective, it was only two and a half weeks.

Since then, I've been enjoying it in some 'brisk' weather.  Last week, I commuted twice when the weather was in the 30's.  The first time I made it home with 17% power left (that's a 50 mile round trip).  There was a heck of a headwind on the return trip.  The second time, I made it to work with 55% power remaining...  That is, it took 45% to go 25 miles.  I had a bit of a headwind (but not as bad as the previous evening), but I think it was a touch warmer (maybe 37 degrees?).  Considering the trip home the previous day took 50-55% power, I called chicken, and found an outlet to plug into.  I wasn't sure I'd make it home otherwise, without taking it really slow.

I'm not regretting getting the extra power capacity.  For the record, my speeds on those trips were in the 60-75 mph range, on the HOV lane.  I may have had brief bits around 80, but there were also bits below 60 (not to mention the bits on surface streets)

I'm looking forward to milder weather, and think my battery pack is too! :)

2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX
Pages: 1 [2]