• May 05, 2024, 05:26:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What kind of motor to use?  (Read 3317 times)

evopanop

• View Profile
    • Creative Desert Designs, Inc.
What kind of motor to use?
« on: April 24, 2009, 05:58:52 AM »

Hi everyone,

New here, first post. I'm planning on building an electric motorcycle - probably based on a Ninja 250R. The battery pack that I'm going to be using is the LiFePO4 variety, will be 96V / 20Ah, be approximately 12"x12"x7", and weigh approximately 45 Lbs.

What would be a good motor to use that has regen? Does anyone make a good brushless motor that has regen?

If possible, I'd like to get the range to about 75-100 Miles, and the top speed to about 100 MPH. If needed, I can always add a second 96V / 20Ah battery pack and run the two in parallel to get the extra juice needed.

Also, the spec on the 48V / 20Ah version of the battery pack is as follows:
    * Maximum discharge rate: 2C
    * Maximum charge current: 20A
    * Maximum burst of: 60A
    * Recommended charging rate: 0.3C

Thanks in advance, everyone!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 11:33:01 AM by evopanop »

Bogan

• View Profile
Re: What kind of motor to use?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:13:45 AM »

firstly, to get 100mph im fairly sure you would need to use two of the 96V battery packs (assuming the have the same current specs of the 48v 20ahr one).

as for the motor, ive had a breif look, but cant find anything suitable int that voltage range, i found this kit http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/ETK-ETEKBL250.html that runs at 48V, so if you got 4 of the 48V packs instead of two 96V packs (should be same watt-hr capacity and therefore size) it should work well. The controller support regen, and using LiFePO4 batteries should mean you can get great regen efficiency with the high charge currents they support.
Pages: [1]