• May 04, 2024, 08:58:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Engine Failure Then Fire  (Read 1708 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Engine Failure Then Fire
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 03:11:18 AM »

The possibility of their motorcycles catching fire spontaneously is something extremely serious and should be investigated and addressed by Zero.

That is what i though. I live in the Netherlands. My Zero dealer and Zero Netherlands, the importer for whole europe, are known with my bike catch on fire but did no investigation or contacted me for information.

Zero HQ for europe is a 45 minute drive from where I live! Should be a easy one....

The last we heard from you was in this thread about your charger: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9483

Jumping on this thread for a problem you haven't previously reported is confusing at best, and doesn't sound like you're giving enough context for us to take your perspective seriously. Zero knows they changed out your charger, so they didn't exactly ignore you.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

RG2019

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 03:19:25 AM »

The possibility of their motorcycles catching fire spontaneously is something extremely serious and should be investigated and addressed by Zero.

That is what i though. I live in the Netherlands. My Zero dealer and Zero Netherlands, the importer for whole europe, are known with my bike catch on fire but did no investigation or contacted me for information.

Zero HQ for europe is a 45 minute drive from where I live! Should be a easy one....

The last we heard from you was in this thread about your charger: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9483

Jumping on this thread for a problem you haven't previously reported is confusing at best, and doesn't sound like you're giving enough context for us to take your perspective seriously. Zero knows they changed out your charger, so they didn't exactly ignore you.

There is really not more to say... Yes, the charger on my 2017 SR died. Yes, I paid the dealer 1400 euro to repair the charger/my bike. Yes, it went up  in flames while driving after it was repaired. And NO, Zero does not give a fuck. Luckily my insurance paid for all the damage. Bummer I just paid the 1400 euro for the repair. Offcourse that went up in smoke.

No contact from Zero dealer
No contact from Zero HQ europe
and no contact from Zero USA

That's quite bad if they know, like you just sad, that they have repaired my bike a week before.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 03:22:58 AM by RG2019 »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 03:23:00 AM »

Just so it's clear, if I were to ask Zero's service department about this claim, and I plan to, I'm expecting I'll hear a totally different version of this story. They know and track every destructive outcome of a Zero motorcycle. If they seem like they don't care, either you're projecting or you don't understand their response.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

RG2019

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 03:33:01 AM »

Just so it's clear, if I were to ask Zero's service department about this claim, and I plan to, I'm expecting I'll hear a totally different version of this story. They know and track every destructive outcome of a Zero motorcycle. If they seem like they don't care, either you're projecting or you don't understand their response.

Please do. I am happy to hear there answer. Because I don't know what there version is. Like I sayd before, the never contacted me, the owner of the bike. They are aware of the problem. I can give you some detailed info in private message if you like.

RG2019

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 03:45:42 AM »

Please do. I am happy to hear there answer. Because I don't know what there version is. Like I sayd before, the never contacted me, the owner of the bike. They are aware of the problem. I can give you some detailed info in private message if you like.

@Exile714 sorry for spamming your topic. Will stop posting. I am available by private messages if anybody needs something from me.

Exile714

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 06:35:04 AM »

This is probably my last post for a while, I don't think I'll be getting any new/relevant info for a bit.

Talked to Zero a few times today. I am very impressed with their level of concern. They are sending a technician to pick up the bike tomorrow and hopefully we'll learn that this was just a freak occurrence. They did confirm that my bike had been serviced under the recall so that issue shouldn't have been the problem.

All in all, I'm just glad I'm ok. I can't say the desire to own an electric motorcycle has died; it was an amazing bike while I had it. This does sound like a really rare thing from everything I've been reading.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2019, 05:57:20 AM »

It's always good to remember that energy can do this.

ICE bikes can and do catch fire all the time.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »

The recall of Zero motorcycles due to catching fire while charging was only for 2012 models. This is the first I have heard about the later models catching fire spontaneously.  Zero should certainly be notified of any such occurrence along with the appropriate government agency (such as the NTSA in the U.S.) in the country where you reside.  The possibility of their motorcycles catching fire spontaneously is something extremely serious and should be investigated and addressed by Zero.
Especially since my 2017 SR is probably the bike I ride the most.

I would like to know under what conditions the fire happened.

Scary.

-Don- Casa Grande, AZ (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »

It's always good to remember that energy can do this.

ICE bikes can and do catch fire all the time.

-Crissa
Nobody can tell me that this isn't a very hot bike.

I just thought I should post an example. I assume ICE bikes catch fire MUCH more often than electric.

-Don-  Casa Grande, AZ (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2019, 08:17:13 PM »

The recall of Zero motorcycles due to catching fire while charging was only for 2012 models. This is the first I have heard about the later models catching fire spontaneously.  Zero should certainly be notified of any such occurrence along with the appropriate government agency (such as the NTSA in the U.S.) in the country where you reside.  The possibility of their motorcycles catching fire spontaneously is something extremely serious and should be investigated and addressed by Zero.
Especially since my 2017 SR is probably the bike I ride the most.

I would like to know under what conditions the fire happened.

Scary.

-Don- Casa Grande, AZ (RV)

Me too, since my daughter has a 2014 S parked in her garage under the living area of her home. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »

I do not think it is spam more like hijack the thread.   Carisa's point I see being batteries being more like gun power or dynamite than gasoline, natural gas,  hydrogen, diesel to name a few is that one has everything needed and the other needs air or oxygen or in some cases nitrous oxide to a degree to provide the rotational force at the drive wheel, track, propeller or similar.  Sure the electricity is more efficient but the ratio by weight for gasoline to air is close to the psi of one atmosphere at sea level.  Remember the oxygen generators that catch fire if they are in an un pressurized part of an airplane.

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2019, 01:36:29 AM »

Headed out to install new smoke detector in the garage right now.

Exile714

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2019, 05:55:46 AM »

I think the scary difference between gas bikes burning and electric ones is you can kind of predict when a gas bike is going to burn. It happens right away when you crash, or there is an external ignition source. Maybe the batteries could ignite the gas?

My bike burned 5 hours after it broke down on the highway. I had absolutely no idea that was going to happen, especially since I chose not to charge the bike that night.

Smoke detectors in the garage are probably a good idea, generally speaking. If mine hadn't gone off, things would have been much, much worse (not that the smoke damage is going to be cheap to fix, unfortunately).

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 07:20:23 AM »

ICE vehicles catch fire hours or days after they were last touched.  It's what curned down the cabin kitty corner from mine.  It's something that happens.

ICE bikes catch fire from battery failure, wiring failure, spark arcing, oil or gasoline soaked material, or impact sparks.  EV bikes basically only catch fire due to the first two.  They by definition catch fire less often and less explosively.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: 1 [2]