• May 05, 2024, 04:43:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Helmet Lock Installation on DSR  (Read 1326 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Helmet Lock Installation on DSR
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:20:21 PM »

I thought I would share my helmet lock installation on my DSR with others.  I located the lock on the left side of the frame and positioned it so that the chin guard on my full face helmet would clear the side rack and I would have access from the back of the frame to install and tighten the bolts.

I had to drill two small holes through the frame.  The metal is aluminum so it was very easy to drill.  I bought a cheap helmet lock on eBay for less than $10.  IMO, a helmet lock should have come standard from the factory, but it's really not that hard to add one.

Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Snow4us

• View Profile
Re: Helmet Lock Installation on DSR
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  I would like to do something similar.  Would your placement of the lock get in the way if you had a passenger?  Can't tell from the photo but it looks like it could rub on a passenger's leg.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:15:26 PM »

That's a good point.  It could.  I don't ever intend to ride two up on my DSR so it's not an issue for me.  I have a larger cruiser for that.  You'll just have to do a real life test fit first.

There's some room to be able to shift the lock forward or backward from where I mounted mine.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:19:06 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:41 PM »

There actually IS a helmet lock (of sorts) installed at the factory, but only if you don't install the Charge Tank or Power Tank.  I used it all the time but now that I do have the Charge Tank, I'm looking at some alternatives.  There is one that mounts behind the license plate with hooks for two helmets, but my experience with a 2000 Buell M2 Cyclone says that the extra weight will eventually fatigue the plastic "arm" holding the plate and it will crack eventually.

These look interesting to me:
https://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/locks-alarms/chain-and-cable-locks/mirrorlok.html
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 04:18:41 AM »

There actually IS a helmet lock (of sorts) installed at the factory, but only if you don't install the Charge Tank or Power Tank.  I used it all the time but now that I do have the Charge Tank, I'm looking at some alternatives.  There is one that mounts behind the license plate with hooks for two helmets, but my experience with a 2000 Buell M2 Cyclone says that the extra weight will eventually fatigue the plastic "arm" holding the plate and it will crack eventually.

These look interesting to me:
https://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/locks-alarms/chain-and-cable-locks/mirrorlok.html

I have the power tank and the lock used to secure the grab bag remained in place.  That could be used as a helmet lock, but it is not very easy to access when locking a helmet to the top of the "tank".  What I do is to use a removable "Helmetlok" (about $25 at most motorcycle accessory shops) to fasten my helmet to the passenger grab rail.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 04:20:43 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 06:13:41 AM »

I had that lock you're talking about on my 2016 S, but there wasn't any such lock on my 2018.  Does the power tank still have that thing installed, because the 6kW Charge Tank doesn't.

On the 2018, there were two small posts at the front of the storage area that are hidden when the lid is closed and locked.  The bike came with two small cables that you'd loop through the D-rings on your helmet, and then hang on one of the two posts.  Once you closed and locked the lid, your helmet(s) were secured.

I only used it when my top box was too full to fit the helmet; otherwise I'd lock the helmet in the top box out of sight.  Now I no longer have that option, so I'm investigating other alternatives.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 06:40:34 AM »

I finally remembered to add this to the unofficial manual as a reference:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Advanced_Modifications#Helmet_Lock_Relocation
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 07:18:06 AM »

I had that lock you're talking about on my 2016 S, but there wasn't any such lock on my 2018.  Does the power tank still have that thing installed, because the 6kW Charge Tank doesn't.

On the 2018, there were two small posts at the front of the storage area that are hidden when the lid is closed and locked.  The bike came with two small cables that you'd loop through the D-rings on your helmet, and then hang on one of the two posts.  Once you closed and locked the lid, your helmet(s) were secured.

I only used it when my top box was too full to fit the helmet; otherwise I'd lock the helmet in the top box out of sight.  Now I no longer have that option, so I'm investigating other alternatives.

My 2018 S with Power Tank does retain the lock. I just checked.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 08:39:44 AM »

I use one of these to make it more useful.
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/210719.html

I know it's not much, but it only really needs to slow someone down.  Looping it through the arm of my jacket make it a bit more obvious and slower to dig into.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »

This 3-year-old thread just came back as new, so it must have been edited.

Anyway, my solution is to have a small padlock and a cable that loops through itself. I lock the helmet through the padlock and otherwise the padlock just hangs there and the key stays on the keyring.

It's a small cable and lock, so it's only a deterrent. But any lock is: my friend dared to park his bike at a Caltrain station in SF and some moron actually cut off the D-rings.  :-\

Zero version:

The KTM version is minimal with a tiny luggage padlock:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:20:44 PM by Curt »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 03:32:10 PM »

Yeah, I've only been riding since the beginning of September but I've ridden my bicycle for years (and across SF a couple times).  Most of the damage it sustains is just stupid stuff:  Stolen magnets, reflectors.

Children carved graffiti into my car's windshield, even.

Who steals reflectors?  Why?  Human magpies?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 08:14:50 PM »

In an area where you might be concerned about high theft and you need to leave your helmet with your bike, you should either place it in a locked top box, or run a locked cable around the passenger grab handles, or middle of the handlebar, and run the cable through the chin bar of your helmet, assuming that you have a full-face helmet.  If you have an open-face helmet then you should purchase one of those helmet-carrying backpacks and take it with you.  Cutting the securing straps is just too easy for the depraved with nothing better to do with their lives.   >:(

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 10:15:32 PM »

YEARS ago I had a custom-painted BMW System II helmet with an electrically-heated face shield (anti-fog).  One day when I came back from a day of sailing with my friend, I found that someone had cut the neck strap from my helmet and made off with it.  The System II did not use D-Rings, it had a seat-belt style fastener, and that buckle was just lying on the ground.

My first thought was that I hope whoever stole the helmet was wearing it when he got into an accident and the helmet would fly off his head and he'd be killed INSTANTLY.  Then, I thought better of that.  Better that he lived in a world of pain for the rest of a very very long life.

Yeah, I was PISSED!!!!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1]