• May 04, 2024, 12:29:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Long distance, go slow  (Read 1583 times)

deckofficer

• View Profile
Long distance, go slow
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:29:01 PM »

As we all know, speed kills range. On the highways you don't have a choice, but on waterways you do. I used to be a sailboat cruiser 25 years ago and always thought electric propulsion is a good fit for slow sailing speeds. First test of this theory was a kayak I set up with 64 lbs of LiFePO4 cells.

Put together (2) 12 volt, 100 ahr packs, one used as outbound battery, the other for my return leg.

An electric kayak is so quiet, and at a slow cruise speed of 4.5 mph, I have an unreal range of 80 miles, good for the entire 75 mile shoreline of Lake Tahoe.

Next project for the water is to scale things up a bit. Bond Yachts from Poland make a perfect candidate for electric propulsion. It is a 30' catamaran power cruiser that is so light and has such an efficient hull that a pair of 50 hp gas outboards can push it to 25 kt. Their designers have the same idea as me and have run some early tests with electric propulsion. 1500 watts gave an impressive 5 kt of speed.

If folks here are interested, I'll keep you posted.

Bob

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Long distance, go slow
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:00:55 AM »

When I was down in Key West they were converting one of the old yachts that does tourist trips to electric.  I thought then it was an ideal way to compliment the quiet cruising of a sail.  I will see if I can find which boat it was.

I would definitely be interested to see how your project progresses.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Pages: [1]