• May 05, 2024, 07:32:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Touratech Boxes on a 2016 DSR  (Read 1718 times)

Ethestral

• Plugged in at the 10kw array inverter
    • View Profile
Touratech Boxes on a 2016 DSR
« on: January 15, 2019, 06:29:36 AM »

I have just about wrapped up mounting boxes to the 2016 DSR, this has been in the works since I bought the bike new! First plan was to weld up a custom frame. Then life happened.

You can find the SW-Motech rack listed here twisted throttle:
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-quick-lock-evo-side-carriers-to-fit-many-side-case-types-for-zero-dsr-15-17

20181101_114733 by Ethestral, on Flickr

I had to drill two new holes to get the plate adapter to mount properly.
20181101_105213 by Ethestral, on Flickr

20181101_112403 by Ethestral, on Flickr

I already had the Touratech boxes (bought for the custom build) so I didn't buy the SW Motech boxes. It did mean I had to adjust the mounting hardware to get them to mount properly. I will still need to add a 1/8" spacer to keep them from rattling as the SW Motech rack is just that much smaller than the Touratech rack system.

20190113_125607 by Ethestral, on Flickr

Here you see the turn signals relocated, I scratched my head about where to put them as the rack install instructions include zip tying the extended leads to the narrow plastic piece that holds the plate from the factory. Using 14 ga wire (4 strands), adding a cable keyway (one already present for the plate light) and enlarging the weep hole at the base of the license stalk assembly I was able to extend the wires inside factory body work for the relocated turn signals.

20190113_130318 by Ethestral, on Flickr

20190113_130235 by Ethestral, on Flickr

These are the large boxes, big enough to fit a large full face helmet. I have no idea what it will do to my efficiency yet but I can say I am happy to have them on the bike for sure. Aside from drilling some holes there are few tools needed to install this system. Additionally it uses the same strong points I planned to use. I had planned to use the passenger peg mounting bolt locations but the clamp style seems to work alright.

No these boxes will not survive a Dakar rally, but neither would I.  Let me know if there are questions.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Touratech Boxes on a 2016 DSR
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 06:37:16 AM »

Nice! Some advice:

- Keep your highway speed down to avoid range loss *and* excessive motor or battery heating. This has happened to another Zero DSR rider with adventure cases.
- For others considering the SW-Motech rack, they make good racks, but their Zero rack doesn't work with the Zero top rack (which is the only top rack for Zero bikes!). I tend to recommend the Happy Trails rack which is also much sturdier.

I wish we had a set of side cases we could install on Zero's that wouldn't impact range. SW-Motech Aero cases are pretty good but are only 25L (31L for the older models I had for a while). A teardrop-shaped narrow and tall set of side cases would be ideal, especially if they could get close to 40L of capacity per side.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 05:06:15 AM »

Nice!   I tend to recommend the Happy Trails rack which is also much sturdier.
Do you know if Happy Trails racks will work on an SR with the Zero top-rack installed? (I wrote the company and they replied, "don't know")
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 10:12:55 PM »

Nice!   I tend to recommend the Happy Trails rack which is also much sturdier.
Do you know if Happy Trails racks will work on an SR with the Zero top-rack installed? (I wrote the company and they replied, "don't know")

Yes, and Togo has done this.

The side rack is a very tight fit around the foot peg brackets and rear shock cylinder, but does work with the top rack.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]