• May 08, 2024, 03:21:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: consider old new stock 2011 XU  (Read 1098 times)

fullmetalscooter

• View Profile
consider old new stock 2011 XU
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:28:26 AM »

I ve consider buying a old new stock zero 2011 xu that being sitting in a shop for 4 grand.    Next to demo rides it's not being use all that much.  2 year warranty still    From what I can tell from reading  the draw back to the xu is  20 miles range .   When the battery pack goes it's a hassle to get replace or built .      Top speed is around 51 MPH.      Chain drive instead of belt drive.     
Anything else is the way of issue that make it not worth getting ?    Also I  ride 300 days out of the year  so how long would the battery last before failing ?    I drive about 23 miles a day  max .       

rollandelliott

• View Profile
Re: consider old new stock 2011 XU
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:08:40 AM »

i doubt you will get 20 miles out of it
zero specs say
Range
Maximum   30 miles (48 km)
EPA UDDS   25 miles (40 km)

you are likely to get about 15 miles out of it if that if you drive combined city/highway.

the batteries will last a long time, as long as you charge them every day, hundreds of cycles.

ReeveSteves

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »

I put a thousand miles on a NOS 2011 XU before buying my SR. I never got less than 10 miles out of a charge, but often close - in decent weather expect 12-15 if you never go above 35. If you go above 35 you will get perilously close to 10 miles before you run flat. It does run at full speed right up to the last block of power.

Are you looking at the one at Lynnwood Cycle Barn? If the XU does meet your needs my 2011 is up for sale. It's covered by the factory warranty until next April and I can do much better than their price on it. PM me.

ReeveSteves

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:21:16 PM »

That said if you can opportunistic charge you can do quite well with a 2011 XU even if you put more miles on in a day. It charges quite quickly because the battery is so small, always in less than two hours.

BenBrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:11:03 AM »

If you have No hills on your ride, if you don't rapidly accelerate, you may get 18 miles per charge and that IF you plan on exhausting the battery.  This is not advised if you plan of keeping the battery healthy long as possible. 

I own a (dealer "new") 2011 XU and have had pretty serious problems.  I bought it 2013.  The Zero dealer and Zero took my motorcycle not long after i bought it, for more than two months out of our six month riding season to fix it, but that left me with no transportation and payments.  Multiple XU owners have had bugs with that model's battery management system. 

It is rough stopping dead in the middle of oncoming traffic or to have your motorcycle just die on you.  Right now I'm dealing with sustained acceleration after backing off the 'accelerator' and constant jerking if I try to main a constant speed.

i sincerely doubt Zero or my dealer will quickly fix it or offer me a loan.

If you are committed to buying this bike at this price, get a separate in writing statement from the dealership stating they will buy it back to you at full price and interest if this bike has any of the above mentioned problems.

Zero told me if I could sell my 'new' bike after they fixed it, for $2,000.00, they MIGHT offer me the next upgrade at a slightly reduced price.

The dealer said it was the information Zero sent and wasn't their fault.  Zero said it was the dealer who was responsible.  Cool game, they both win and in my case I totally lose.  If Zero only thinks a repaired dealer new bike is worth $2,000.00 that tells you something.  Unlike Zero, I can't ethically justify selling this bike.

Better to go Brammo if you can swing it.

fullmetalscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »

I wonder about lemon laws were you live.     Thanks for the help but I think I ll wait 4 years when this type of bike is starting to be common place.    Ether that or I ll go back to WW2 tech and run an old bike off a gasafirer  ( Wood smoke )   .  You ve got to get at least 20 Mile per wood plate that you use.  LOL .    Electric motorcycle will be come common when gas etc make so that the cheapest why to ride without spend 10 plus grand on a new bike.    5 grand might just be the sweet spot that people will buy one at. 
Pages: [1]