• May 04, 2024, 04:29:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Question for the technically minded: 12KW charge tank in future?  (Read 310 times)

bobbyperu

• View Profile

Hi guys, this question has emerged from the interesting chats I have had on other threads, and from reading and learning a lot over the last weeks (from a starting point of nothing!)
So, I am really in a dilemma on whether to buy a 2021 DS 14.4, available here in Spain to ride with a standard driving licence (I need this factor, which rules out the more powerful new bikes).
The main reason for the dilemma is that I have a strong sense we are at the end of a 4 yr period of not much innovation in terms of range and charging time for these batteries, and indeed the battery manufacturer that Zero works with has just announced a couple of weeks ago a bit of a jump forward in potential range and charging time, which seems likely to filter down to zero bikes by 2022, especially since the Zero CEO says they expect to innovate every 2 years on batteries and, like I said, it has been 4 yrs, so it is overdue. https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/26/new-farasis-battery-cells-offer-25-more-range/
So basically I am hesitating to blow all my budget on a bike that is essentially the same as the previous 3 models, and probably the end of a cycle before a major jump in innovation.
However, there are no used bikes available here in Spain and the current model would suit my needs if the charging time could be a bit closer to 1C for the 14.4 battery. There is no shortage of 22kw charging stations near me. So, a 12kw charging tank from zero, backwards compatible with the 2021 bikes, if it came out in the near future, would be great, and if I knew such a thing were possible, I would buy the 2021 model right now.
So my question for you tech and electrician types out there, is how feasible do you think this would be? I know they have previously jumped from 3kw to 6kw with the charge tank product, and that the new cypher 3 based premium bikes have 12kw charge tanks installed. Is there anything inherent in the design of the 2021 DS 14.4 bikes, that would prevent a 12kw charge station being launched in future, which could be attached to these bikes? Thank you very much in advance!

dalamario

• View Profile
Re: Question for the technically minded: 12KW charge tank in future?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 03:52:57 PM »

Why you say "12kw charging tank from zero, backwards compatible with the 2021 bikes"? All charge tanks from zero are 6kw chargers. The new bikes (SRF/S) with 12kw configuration have 6kw charge tank + 6kw onboard chargers. The SRF/S charge tank is the same of the one you can find on S/SR/DS/DSR.

And up to now, a 12kw charge tank does not exist due to size constrain, with actual tecnology a 12kw charger is two time the size of a 6kw charger.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 05:00:26 PM »

Bobbyperu, look I get what your dilemma is, but that's just technology man it keeps getting better.
No one can answer as to if Zero will make a 12kw charger or if it can be retro fitted.
There are people who work for Zero on here but they wouldn't be allowed to say either way.

Even if a new bike comes out at the end of the year that is a great improvement over current models, they will be nothing compared to the bikes in 2030.
You've just got to take a deep breath and accept that fact.

Let me sum up my advice to you as a 2 Zero owner.

Go on a test ride to make sure you like how it rides.
You can get the bike as is and live with it for a while and see if you really feel you "need" (not want) faster charging.
Again note, though some charging stations are free right now, I doubt that lasts much longer and it will cost more than your home power.
The CCS or "DC" charging cost as much or more than gas for the same miles.

Good luck, but you have to make the call to wait or not for yourself.

bobbyperu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 05:26:17 PM »

Why you say "12kw charging tank from zero, backwards compatible with the 2021 bikes"? All charge tanks from zero are 6kw chargers. The new bikes (SRF/S) with 12kw configuration have 6kw charge tank + 6kw onboard chargers. The SRF/S charge tank is the same of the one you can find on S/SR/DS/DSR.

And up to now, a 12kw charge tank does not exist due to size constrain, with actual tecnology a 12kw charger is two time the size of a 6kw charger.
Thanks very much for this explanation. So i guess my question is, are there technological reasons why a 2021 DS could not be fitted in future with a 6kw onboard charger plus a 6kw charge tank?

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 06:19:20 PM »

If I recall correctly, the current 6kW Charge Tank is two 3kW units bundled together.  I don't think there is room to add ANOTHER two 3kW units on the Gen2 platform.  The Gen3 bikes (the SR/F and SR/S) were designed at the outset for the extra capacity.  Note that the premium versions of both models can have EITHER the 12kW charging capability, OR the Power Tank, but not both.  The Gen2 bikes can have either the 6kW charge tank OR the Power tank, but not both.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

bobbyperu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 06:44:29 PM »

That's exactly the sort of info I was hoping for to help me make an informed choice, many thanks!
Pages: [1]