• May 05, 2024, 10:29:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charge cycles to high ! - calculating cycles help  (Read 1238 times)

toinet75

• View Profile
Charge cycles to high ! - calculating cycles help
« on: December 08, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »

Hi everybody,

I am a new Zero SR2016 for 2 months now. Location: Paris, France.
Nice bike, big pleasure to drive !

I am in need of your knowlege, you, the old and experimented electric bikers ! :-)

I recently watched the number of cycle charge on the IOs App. It's written: 124.

My bike has 1200 Km (745 miles) and I am very anguish by this High Level of Cycles !!!
If the max number of the cycles of the battery is around 2500, it gives me a max of 24.000 Km (15.000 milles) before battery reaches it's 80% level...

I always take care to charge the bike after each trip. Never got back under 60%, mostly 80%.

If I calculate 20% of charge after each trip, it gives me 5 charge before "Full Charge Cycle" number is increased by 1, right ?

I do only city trip, 4 times a day. And charge twice a day (2x20%)=40%  .

So assuming I have done this for 2 months (60 days) , I should be around (60x0.4)= 24 cycles.... Is my calculation right ?

Last thing, sorry for annoying you: I have noticed the number of cycle charge increases from the start of a trip and the end of the trip: do you think the regen is the responsible ( I do a lot of regen, riding in the city).

Should I reduce the regen ?

Thanks for your lights !

Antoine

Electric Terry

• View Profile
Re: Charge cycles to high ! - calculating cycles help
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 04:46:03 PM »

No need to stress or worry Antoine you're gonna be just fine! Charge cycles on the app doesn't matter.  A charge cycle is measured from 100% to 0% and then 0-100% usually at 1C and 25 degrees C.  So charging from 20% to 80% you could 10 times and not add a real battery "cycle" the way its tested at the battery factory.  And the app itself can have reporting errors and bugs.  One of my fields became negative, and I just ignore it.  Also the 2500 (full) cycles is not the max cycles anyway, that is the estimated cycles to reach 80% capacity.  Chances are they way you ride you will never notice a single mile of range loss in the time you own the motorcycle.  So no need to be concerned about this.  Just ride the bike and plug it in, and don't even look at the battery page on the app if it bothers you so much.

So there is nothing you need to do to the phone or the app or the bike.  Don't reduce your regen.  Put it as high as you like.   I would however recommend tho perhaps to increase the milligram dosage on your Xanax for a few weeks until looking at the phone app battery page doesn't try to give you a heart attack.  ;) Just kidding.  Well that is of course unless you do take Xanax for anxiety, in which case, yes, perhaps ask your Dr. to increase your prescription for a bit.

Above all, ride your new Zero and enjoy it!  The 2016 is an amazing machine!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:56:02 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »

However, do keep in mind that cold weather will drop your range and how fast the battery pack discharges as a percentage on the display screen.  Don't let that worry you. It is just the battery pack reacting to cold temperatures. Once the weather warms up again, your usual range will return.  I have noticed that my battery pack is showing about a 10% increased power usage over my usual trip as the temperature has dropped into the 40's F (5 degrees C).
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »

I agree with Terry, but I'd add a couple of things: First the bike doesn't calculate partial charge cycles like you did. Every time you recharge it from less than full, it simply adds one. So your five short cycles add up to five, not one.

But it's okay, because as Terry points out, "2500 cycles" refers to FULL cycles, from full charge to full discharge and back again. That's pretty much the WORST thing you can do to a battery, other than overheating it. What you're doing, short cycling, is much more gentle on batteries.

When the Toyota Prius first came out, people were very concerned about the cost of replacing the battery, saying it was going to cost a fortune every 50,000 miles. But the engineers designed the system to only charge the battery to 60% of capacity, and only discharge it to 40%. That only gives you 20% of the capacity of the battery to use, but it extends the life of the batteries immensely. There are many Priuses running on their original battery packs with 500,000 miles on them, still working perfectly. Don't be afraid to use the full battery capacity, but if you want to extend the life of the battery, short cycles (and managing temperature) are the way to do it.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

toinet75

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 04:12:53 PM »

Thank for you answers making me more confident about my concern !

To submit:

- I don't take care of the number in the IOs app, which displays the number of time i plug my bike, whatever the loading amount.
- I Continue to charge it the way i'm doing, without changing the regen settings
- I Donnot worry about the reduced range caused by the cold temperatures
- I keep in mind that my battery will last longer than my smoking person
- I the figures still anguish me, I consult a psychoanalyst rather than a mechanic

Right ? :-)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 08:03:57 PM »

- I the figures still anguish me, I consult a psychoanalyst rather than a mechanic

LOL

If everyone on a motorcycle forum did this... 90% of the topics would disappear!

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »

Quote from: toinet75

I lolled, and got some funny looks from my colleges ;)

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 11:24:29 PM »

Thank for you answers making me more confident about my concern !

To submit:

- I don't take care of the number in the IOs app, which displays the number of time i plug my bike, whatever the loading amount.
- I Continue to charge it the way i'm doing, without changing the regen settings

Right ? :-)

Hahaha exactly!!  I would agree with all of those! ;)
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 10:07:56 AM »

Those are some great guidelines, but I think you're forgetting the most important one, which comes in three parts:

1) Ride
2) Recharge
3) Repeat as necessary

Enjoy riding and trust the machine. She'll take care of you.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: [1]