• May 06, 2024, 09:33:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bay Area people- second meetup at Alice's, Saturday 20 August  (Read 2260 times)

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
Bay Area people- second meetup at Alice's, Saturday 20 August
« on: August 04, 2016, 06:52:39 AM »

People coming from Santa Cruz side, meet at Zero Motorcycles in Scott's Valley.  Plenty of charging for Zero customers. 

People coming from East, meet at Palo Alto Baking Co. near California and Birch in Palo Alto. At least ten J1772 charging stations nearby.  I'll be there early, charging up and having a pastry.

Kickstands up at 10 AM. People needing to charge, arrive in time to be charged by then. The rides should aim to arrive by 11AM to beat the lunch rush, park in a nice lineup for pictures.

One NEMA 14-50 and some 120V outlets are available for charging at Alice's.

Electric Terry and Charger should be leading the Scott's Valley contingent.

Last time we had three people signed up with 24 hours notice, left Palo Alto with five, found two more waiting at Alice's and were joined by two more and a dog soon after being seated.  It was a blast. 

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Killroy

• View Profile
Re: Bay Area people- second meetup at Alice's, Saturday 20 August
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 10:06:01 AM »

I'm in.  From Campbell/San Jose, I can get to Alice's without charging, but I am thinking of riding to Zero to get more or a ride with other Zero's.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »

I plan to be there again (assuming nothing else is going on with my life on that day).  Because I live up north, I'll meet you at Alice's.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 12:23:13 AM »

Plenty of charging for Zero customers. 

What are the charging options at Zero after hours?

Level 1?
Do they have Elcons powered up outside on the weekend?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 12:31:41 AM »

Level 1?

NEMA 14-50 and J1772, unrestricted. No Elcons are laying around.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 04:20:45 AM »

Level 1?

What about level 1 /NEMA 5? 

I don't have a power tank/ or a DigiNow or any J1772 adapters.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »

Meetup is next weekend!

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 08:24:38 PM »

Level 1?

What about level 1 /NEMA 5? 

I don't have a power tank/ or a DigiNow or any J1772 adapters.

Alice's has a 120V electrical outlet immediately behind their rear yard fence to the left of the realty office, which is located adjacent to the gas station.  There is also an electrical outlet located behind the gas station, adjacent to a concrete walkway that leads between the bathrooms and the realty office parking lot. But you will need a 25-foot, or longer, extension cord to reach that without blocking the walkway while parking in the lot. (Or like I did, behind a "no parking" sign on a raised planter, next to the gas station.)   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 04:51:25 PM »

Plenty of Level 1 charging at Zero! like 20 outlets all for motorcycle parking.

There are 4 level 2 J1772's also and a few 14-50's as well

See you guys Saturday around 9-9:30 to top off at Zero and we will leave Zero around 10 AM to head to Alices.

Get there anytime to start charging at Zero.  No restrictions. 

Terry
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 09:36:41 AM »

This coming Saturday!  Don't miss it.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 09:42:07 AM »

I'm meeting at Zero HQ. 

I did check out the charging situation at the HQ last week and its really good. ;D

Now I wish I had a Diginow fast charger.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »

I'm coming from santa cruz so with the Diginow I can top off in about 6 minutes using the J1772's at Zero which can do 10,000 watts.  I'll bring an adapter and extension to help charge other people too.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR

Farfle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 07:44:14 AM »

Ill be there around 9:00, with a Jplug to zero and a handfull of 110 outlets, as well as a small booster charger (6A DC)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »

Today's news.  I have seen this sort of thing before. It is going to be crazy up there. The cops will be really hungry to hand out as many tickets as possible to make their safety grant worthwhile:

The California Highway Patrol and San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office, with the assistance of the Burlingame, Brisbane and Foster City Police Departments, will be conducting a Saturation Traffic Enforcement Program (STEP), operation on Saturday, August 20, 2016, with focused enforcement on collision causing factors involving motorists, motorcyclist and bicyclists.

The focus of the enforcement will be in the unincorporated areas of SR35 and SR84, locally known as Kings Mountain, Sky Londa, and La Honda. The hours of this operation will be from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Extra officers will be on duty patrolling these areas where traffic collisions occur, in an effort to increase safety, lower deaths and injuries. Officers will be looking for violations made by drivers, motorcyclists and bicycle riders that can lead to serious injuries. Special attention will be directed towards drivers speeding, making illegal turns, failing to stop for signs and signals, passing over double lines, failing to yield to pedestrians in cross walks or any other dangerous violations. Motorcycle and automobile safety equipment violations will be enforced. Bike riders will be stopped and citations issued when they fail to follow the same traffic laws that apply to motorists.

The following safety tips can save lives and stop tragedies witnessed far too often in these areas:

Drivers should:
- Slow down.
- Watch for wild animals near the roadway.
- Not race.
- Watch for motorcycles and others.

Motorcycles should:
- Not pass illegally.
- Follow the rules of the road, SLOW DOWN, and obey signs and signals.
- Not race.
- Watch for wild animals near the roadway.
- Ride a properly maintained and equipped motorcycle.

Shared with all areas in County of San Mateo in Crime & Safety

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »

Today's news.  I have seen this sort of thing before. It is going to be crazy up there. The cops will be really hungry to hand out as many tickets as possible to make their safety grant worthwhile:

The California Highway Patrol and San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office, with the assistance of the Burlingame, Brisbane and Foster City Police Departments, will be conducting a Saturation Traffic Enforcement Program (STEP), operation on Saturday, August 20, 2016,

So this is really unfortunate to hear.  It sounds like there will be 5 departments, looking to justify their efforts to their superiors so they can financially justify future STEP programs today.  And although I will show up at Zero to help charge anyone, I feel I should not go because of past experiences.

Each and every time I travel through a new town I end up getting pulled over for my dog, Charger.  Let me say it is not illegal to carry a dog on a motorcycle.  In California alone there has been unanimous judicial verdicts allowing owners to ride with their furry friend.  However it is uncommon enough that the police enforcement units are not aware of this.  They see something different and they instantly start following, and before they know what law they think is being broken they initiate a stop.

I have a friend at the dog park who works in the call center for Santa Cruz PD and they said they had a meeting about me, as well as Scotts Valley and the Santa Cruz Sheriffs office and the Freedom Blvd CHP to explain to their officers that it was legal to carry a dog, not to harass me, and to explain nicely to 911 callers that are concerned about a dog on a motorcycle that it is under control and not to send police in route.

Had I known it was going to be such an issue I probably would have not gotten a dog.  I am a lifelong motorcyclist and I do not drive cars.  So that leaves me with a dilemma. 

Here's the problem.  Police officers aren't paid a lot.  Those who could make more money either choose a different profession or get promoted.  The ones who remain on the street are there for a reason.  And for those who have had the interactions I have found that there is an ego issue, and they don't like it when they are wrong.  And the problem is they have the ability to use their emotion to do whatever they want, and you are left to fight it later.  If the salaries were higher there would be competition to hire good people, and those with behavior issues would be fired or not allowed to be on the street.  It's hard to clean house when you are scraping the bottom of the barrel to hire anyone you can.  Most rational people would not choose that job at the pay it gives as they have other options.

After hundreds of times being pulled over in the last year, I ask why I'm being pulled over, they almost always laugh and point at Charger and say "why do you think?" and I explain that I am not breaking any laws and have every right as a motorcyclist to be a man and ride with mans best friend.   I have the general statute of California showing it is not illegal to carry a dog and show it to them.  I then ask if I am free to go.  about half the time or more they tell me no, visibly upset for being shown they are wrong.  I have about 20 tickets in the past year for failure to signal, unsafe tires, improper mounted  license plate, touching the double yellow, or other things I may or may not have done, but the point is the officer did not see my slightly worn tires or anything else while I was riding.  He wrote that ticket or lied about what he saw me do because he was mad.

A couple months ago I'm riding with my friend Sean McLaughlin on Zero's from Scotts Valley to ChargePoint for a meeting we are on time for and we are riding the speed limit and not breaking any laws.  But CHP starts following us, and slowly gets wedges himself between Sean and I in a very unsafe manner and gets himself 5 feet from my rear tire for a minute trying to make me do something wrong which I don't but yet turns his lights and siren on anyway. 

I show him the papers, he doesn't like it, and he decides to just hold me while he tries to write a ticket for something.  After 15 minutes Sean tells me he has to go as now he is late for the meeting too and realizes the cop is just being a serious asshole.  Finally after a half hour the CHP wrote a ticket for failure to signal. And I asked when I failed to signal, and he said it was when I was pulling over on to summit road.   I only did that because he was pulling me over!!  These guys are just a waste of oxygen.

I've hired lawyers and they can get all these things dropped appropriately but it costs time and money.   They use the motion to suppress evidence saying it was an illegal stop and my tires or license plate mounting or anything else I've been cited for should have never occurred.  But the burden is on you to show the officer was incorrect over and over and over and over.  If you ignore it, you get in trouble although it's not your fault.

It's a fairly sensitive issue to me and I still have outstanding tickets I have to appear for the stupidest things that would have never happened had I not had a dog with me.

I've explained this to my lawyer and after he understood the issue again and again and again, he said "in not so many words" to try to "avoid" them being able to pull you over if you can do so safely and without breaking any laws.  He's basically saying try to lane split or move expediently to take random turns and park to avoid the hassle of being pulled over.  Basically because he agrees there is nothing you can do once they pull you over if they are having a bad day.  You can't argue with them on the spot.  They will win, even when they are wrong.  The only thing you an do is not let them pull you over to begin with by doing whatever you have to.  Many times I just plain out run them by splitting lanes at a higher speed than they can safely go and then take an exit once I know they are far enough behind.

I really wish there was some government grant that would help pay for schooling so these officers could get higher education and then real jobs that benefit society, instead of having one designed to encourage them to make peoples lives miserable and having the authority to do whatever they want.  They are in control.  After Ive shown them it's not illegal to carry a dog and ask if I can go, and they say no, there is nothing you can do.  One human being with an attitude problem has been given power over another.  I can say "sorry but you are incorrect, I am leaving" and speed off.  But they will feel the need to chase after you and I'm sure they would then somehow justify shooting me or something.  It's sad.  But I do everything possible now to avoid dealing with these complete morons.

Luckily all the cops around here know who I am and know I'm not breaking any laws and some even stop at lights to say how they love how happy my dog is or to ask questions about how I trained her to ride so well or just give me the thumbs up.  That's the thing.  Some cops are cool people and good at heart.  It's just that 99% of them give the 1% a bad name.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 09:17:39 PM by Electric Terry »
Pages: [1] 2