• May 15, 2024, 08:22:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Zero DSR Real range uphill  (Read 1182 times)

gt13013

• View Profile
Re: Zero DSR Real range uphill
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 05:53:49 AM »

Biff is entirely right.

See also here: https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7325 where I gave a spreadsheet to make your own calculations. But I did not take into account the efficiency of the conversion from electric energy to mechanical energy estimated to 85%. So you have to divide the kWh given in the spreadsheet by 0.85 to get more accurate predictions.
I join an updated spreadsheet with this correction.
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 06:51:27 PM »

Nice, Thanks! I was sure there was a place to charge my bike at the destination but I phoned there and there is not... Without been able to charge there and start my trip back at 100% energy my adventure is paused until I find another solution :)
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 11:53:09 PM »

Nice, Thanks! I was sure there was a place to charge my bike at the destination but I phoned there and there is not... Without been able to charge there and start my trip back at 100% energy my adventure is paused until I find another solution :)
Always check Plugshare before using a charger. What location was that?

Plugshare has worldwide coverage and explains what you will need to know at each charge station.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 04:04:50 AM »

I am from Spain, here we have https://www.electromaps.com/ for that purpose, and although it says there is one charge point where I was planning to go I phoned them and they confirmed me that was an error :(
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2020, 04:08:40 AM »

There are some plugs on plugshare which are not public, very frustrating.

They really need tags like 'gated' 'pay garage' and 'private'

There are some I know which you have to walk up and ask, and some you get yelled at for walking up and asking unless you're already a customer for their other services.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2020, 04:51:58 AM »

There are some plugs on plugshare which are not public, very frustrating.

They really need tags like 'gated' 'pay garage' and 'private'

There are some I know which you have to walk up and ask, and some you get yelled at for walking up and asking unless you're already a customer for their other services.

-Crissa
That information is usually on Plugshare. That is why I say to use it. And if you notice anything that needs to be said there, then YOU be sure to put that info. on PlugShare, just as I do. Have you posted anything on Plugshare yet?  I check in at everyone I use as well as the ones I cannot use for ANY reason.  I normally upload photos as well.  You will see my Energica and my comments at almost every charge station I have used in this area of CA or near Reno.  Such as here at KingVale, CA and here at Grass Valley, CA.

Lately, I have been taking Hwy 20 between here and Reno. Much less boring than I-80.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2020, 05:04:58 AM »

I am from Spain, here we have https://www.electromaps.com/ for that purpose, and although it says there is one charge point where I was planning to go I phoned them and they confirmed me that was an error :(
Can people  "check in" on Electromaps  and leave info?  That is the most important part of PlugShare as if a station is down or cannot be used for any reason, somebody usually reports it.

Here is an example of a charge station that I could NOT use, I knew it before I got there, but I checked it out for myself anyway. Notice five  negative check-ins. That should convince anybody to not try to charge there.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2020, 06:01:23 AM »

Descriptions are not tags, tho, Don.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2020, 06:59:34 AM »

Descriptions are not tags, tho, Don.-Crissa
What do you mean? You say what you want to say on Plugshare when you check in. Have you ever checked-in on Plugshare?

You should be able to see what I said for the  Grass Valley DMV charge station, that the  "Gate is closed on Saturdays". If you didn't see that, you're doing something wrong.

The rest of the check-ins from the others all said they could not use that station. Seems nobody has ever successfully used it, by reading all the check-ins.

So I knew I could NOT use it before I rode up there just to see it for myself.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2020, 07:48:41 AM »

I think he's trying to say that you can't exclude from a search the stations that can't actually be used, instead you have to go through and read the reviews for each one. I can understand why it's that way, many of the issues aren't permanent or are specific and unique things that can't be boiled down to a simple tag or don't apply to everyone.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2020, 08:09:10 AM »

Yeah, but many boil down to 'hours' 'parking charges' 'ask first' and 'residents only'

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 08:57:32 AM »

Yeah, but many boil down to 'hours' 'parking charges' 'ask first' and 'residents only'
Yep, and that is exactly what you need to check on every trip at every location you want to charge at before you leave home!

For an example, there is a charger in Elk Grove that anybody can use. That is anybody ONLY  If you know the nine digits to enter on the keypad to start the charger. I got the code on Plugshare before I left for Elk Grove on my Zero SR.

"Code "12341234#" works for a free charge."

Just looking at where the charge stations are located is often just a waste of your time. I would not even bother to look at the locations  without reading about every one that I wish to use. And even for the next trip to the same areas.  Things change.

For an example, a charger was out of service the other day in Truckee, CA  because they had to repave around it. But only out of service for one day. The info. for that one day was on PlugShare. Before, during and after it was  again usable was all reported.

And if you find something inaccurate then you should post it on Plugshare. So far, I have only got what I expected at every charge station, not counting a temporary problem with getting one DC fast charge station to start! And that problem was reported by me and even mentioned in this forum. But I did get my charge even there. And that was when I met BigPappa from this forum who also had problems there. We were both trying to charge our Energicas. After around 20 minutes we somehow got it to start.

The mistake we made was to follow the instructions on the DC Fast Charger. The mistake was that the charger's firmware was recently updated, but not the instructions. The instructions said to "plug in first". But it would only work if we start the charger first and then plug in, as I found out later. And so I posted that on Plugshare so others won't have the same problem. At first, I was thinking it wasn't compatible with the bike. Later, I found out about the charger  FW change without anybody updating the instructions.

Another way we could have charged (as somebody explained in this forum) was to use the app to turn on the charger. But we didn't know that.

BTW, I would not try to charge there now. See here for why.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2020, 09:14:25 AM »

Yes, and when I go about San Jose, about half the chargers aren't public.

So yes, I have to read them.

But that's a heck of alot of wasted time searching for a working charger when I could just filter out all of the ones that are in apartment buildings and hotels that are not available.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2020, 10:02:20 AM »

Yes, and when I go about San Jose, about half the chargers aren't public.

So yes, I have to read them.

But that's a heck of alot of wasted time searching for a working charger when I could just filter out all of the ones that are in apartment buildings and hotels that are not available.

-Crissa
It never takes me more than a few minutes. We normally don't go all that far on electrics and only need to find a few charge stations in most cases.

BTW, on my electric bikes, each has a Garmin GPS. The  Garmin 395LM  that does everything, such as play MP3 music via Blutooth , and a built in TPMS and more. In these GPSes, I put in separate directories for slow and fast charging on my Energica, but  only AC charge stations  for my Zeros. I only add  the ones within range that are likely to work okay for me. But I normally check Plugshare to make sure the most important ones are up and running. For some  other areas, I can take my chances as there are many other chargers in those areas.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 10:56:44 AM »

I wanted to check out the one in Elk Grove. Unfortunately, Maps says it is 555 miles from my house and I have to work in the morning.  ;D
I try to check in when using Plug Share. Few others seem to here in Vegas though. I have ridden my SR to and From Los Angeles a
few times. At the time, there was nothing between Victorville and Primm. Had to resort to finding unused 110 plugs behind soda machines
at rest areas. A Little better now, but since Zero doesn't have LIII available, not a lot of help.
Pages: 1 [2] 3