• May 04, 2024, 06:03:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Installed my SuperCharger V2!  (Read 9352 times)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Installed my SuperCharger V2!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 11:27:52 PM »

What's that little box thing on the left side handle bar?
I noticed in Chicamungo's pics that he has Oxford Heaterz heated grips installed.  I think you are talking about the control pad to adjust the temp which he has installed next to his left hand grip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »

Thanks for the great write up. I've got a PT so will be charging with charger off bike or in top box. Nice to see the total weight of your UPS package was 17.5lbs, that means the charger and cables don't weigh too much. I already ride overweight 2 up so adding extra weight is an issue for me.  Was planning to cut back on the donuts but won't have to now. <evil grin>

Just be aware that this is only for the 3.3kW. You have to almost double it if you're going for 6.6kW. With that said, I sincerely hope that it won't cut in to your donut intake. I would never wish that upon anyone!

The extra HK-J charger weighs about 8 pounds (going from the 3.3 to the 6.6).
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »

Mine arrived to the doorstep yesterday, a 3.3 kW base install with the modular J1772 plug system for L14-50 and Tesla HPWC compatible.

Unboxing:
Connections:

There's 10ft+ of snow everywhere here. Maybe I will try to install this week but it won't be easy to get the bike ('16 Zero DSR) to and from its parking spot to the street for testing.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 10:54:19 PM »

Great work on the videos Shadow.  I would love to see an in depth install video if your up for it.
Sorry about the snow, come down south its warm here :)

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 12:09:47 AM »

As you can see on this photo there's gray Anderson connector in zip bag and the other side of AUX cable (cable that you plug into Zero AUX charger port, has brown Anderson connector and black/red wires) is just crimped.

I believe the reason for this is to make installation easier, as you can feed crimped connectors through bike's internals more easily than if you'd have grey Anderson connector installed  :)

So what you do is take that connector out of the bag and slide both wires into it, where they lock in place.

What I didn't realize however is that those crimped ends are not exactly symmetrical top/bottom. They have slight bend that helps locking them in place. I locked one of them upside down which meant it wasn't sticking out as far enough as it should've been and therefore SC didn't work in my previous test.

Once I fixed that, I was able to charge at 4.75 kW (Zero app reported it as 4.4 kW):

Brilliant!

Now I just have to wait for PowerTank plastic to arrive to finish my install :) Even though PowerTank plastic should be way easier to install, it's also $300 more expensive, so I figured I'll take cheaper approach for now.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:23:50 AM by anton »

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 01:24:57 AM »

As you can see on this photo there's gray Anderson connector in zip bag and the other side of AUX cable (cable that you plug into Zero AUX charger port, has brown Anderson connector and black/red wires) is just crimped.

I believe the reason for this is to make installation easier, as you can feed crimped connectors through bike's internals more easily than if you'd have grey Anderson connector installed  :)

So what you do is take that connector out of the bag and slide both wires into it, where they lock in place.

What I didn't realize however is that those crimped ends are not exactly symmetrical top/bottom. They have slight bend that helps locking them in place. I locked one of them upside down which meant it wasn't sticking out as far enough as it should've been and therefore SC didn't work in my previous test.

Once I fixed that, I was able to charge at 4.75 kW (Zero app reported it as 4.4 kW):

Brilliant!

Now I just have to wait for PowerTank plastic to arrive to finish my install :) Even though PowerTank plastic should be way easier to install, it's also $300 more expensive, so I figured I'll take cheaper approach for now.
Awesome work on the video shadow! Anton I'm so glad you were able to figure that out!

So for the Tesla connector we have primarily tested it on destination Chargers. These are the public Chargers that Tesla sells to hotels and other businesses to expand their Network. I'd love to see a video with it charging at a home-based high-powered wall connector if anybody has time to get around to that.

I can only imagine how cold it is where you are, riding from Mexico to San Francisco right now, and it drops into the thirties to forties at night and that is freaking cold!
Mine arrived to the doorstep yesterday, a 3.3 kW base install with the modular J1772 plug system for L14-50 and Tesla HPWC compatible.

Unboxing:
Connections:

There's 10ft+ of snow everywhere here. Maybe I will try to install this week but it won't be easy to get the bike ('16 Zero DSR) to and from its parking spot to the street for testing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 01:34:01 AM »

Brilliant!

Awesome work on the video shadow! Anton I'm so glad you were able to figure that out!

So for the Tesla connector we have primarily tested it on destination Chargers. These are the public Chargers that Tesla sells to hotels and other businesses to expand their Network. I'd love to see a video with it charging at a home-based high-powered wall connector if anybody has time to get around to that.

I can only imagine how cold it is where you are, riding from Mexico to San Francisco right now, and it drops into the thirties to forties at night and that is freaking cold!

Unboxing:
Connections:

Also just in case anybody was wondering the potting on both the control board and in the Tesla plug is a two-stage potting. The first stage is a more solid epoxy like sealant followed by a more flexible silicone type of potting. This gives us a firm fit which is secure and waterproof but flexible at the top where the cables come out.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 12:13:29 PM »

This is showing the connection to the auxiliary charging port under the seat. Hard to get a good shot of this, so it's blurry :(

@Chicamungo @Electric Cowboy Is it safe to assume that this AUX connector can stay plugged in while riding?

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 01:49:51 PM »

This is showing the connection to the auxiliary charging port under the seat. Hard to get a good shot of this, so it's blurry :(

@Chicamungo @Electric Cowboy Is it safe to assume that this AUX connector can stay plugged in while riding?
Yep

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 06:16:14 AM »

@Chicamungo @Electric Cowboy  Was mounting hardware included for the J-inlet?

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 06:17:31 AM »

Depends on what you mean by mounting hardware? Mine got fasteners and the inlet itself.

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 06:48:52 AM »

Kind of? The 4 screws on the inlet have washers underneath. So what I did was drill a couple of holes in my power tank cover and then run the screws through and threaded the washers underneath. So the entire inlet is being held up by those two screws. If you want some better pictures and/or descriptions of how I drilled holes in my cover, I can try to provide some.

It looks like all four are used if you have a charge tank cover though. I don't have one though, so I can't say for sure.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 06:58:13 AM »

So the entire inlet is being held up by those two screws. If you want some better pictures and/or descriptions of how I drilled holes in my cover, I can try to provide some.

Why only two and not four?

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 07:00:36 AM »

Ah, yes I'm referring to the fasteners, see my unboxing video. Were they already on the inlet or maybe in some parts bag I missed?

@Chicamungo it would be helpful if you could write more about where to install the inlet, and any idea you have for mounting two inlets.  I talked to Brandon and two or possibly three of the 3.3kW modules can be mounted in the cowl area, there is no 6.6kW unit which I said I was expecting to add to the 3.3kW unit.  I will try to make a video for installation with your advice.

anton

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »

Ah, yes I'm referring to the fasteners, see my unboxing video. Were they already on the inlet or maybe in some parts bag I missed?

In my case, fasteners and washers were already on the inlet.

I'll make photos of install too when my power tank cover arrives next week.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5