• May 08, 2024, 04:42:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Zero DS battery replacement  (Read 5883 times)

stanelie

• View Profile
Re: Zero DS battery replacement
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2022, 08:11:45 AM »

Ground.

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 12:53:28 AM »

Is 'throttle 2' on the old Alltrax the Ground?
Also, here are the screenshots of my Kelly controller settings. I appreciate your help getting them adjusted correctly.

stanelie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 07:36:35 AM »

Hi.

I don't know when I will be able to look into this, but in the meantime, here is a picture I took a while back of the connection I made with the Kelly cable and the zero. I hope it helps.

stanelie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 12:25:37 AM »

Well, I tried to connect to the controller today and it did not work. I think I recall reading something about Kelly Controller that it won't connect to serial if the motor is hooked up to it.
In about two month, I will retire this bike for the winter and I also plan on enlarging the battery, so, I will disassemble it and try to connect to it then.
Sorry for the wait.

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 11:54:19 PM »

I finally got the wires all connected. Turned on the motorcycle and got a solid green light on the controller. Twisted the throttle and nothing happens. Not a peep.

stanelie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2022, 11:59:54 PM »

Is the throttle sensor type set to 0-5ko? This is what I used.
Throttle starting effective position set to 4 or 5,
ending position at 90%,
control mode to torque,
power on high pedal disable to "enable",
releasing brake... to "disable"...

Those are the settings I used, from memory...

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 05:33:27 AM »

The throttle dropdown box didn't have an option for ohms, so I left it on 0-5 V.
I have the "Releasing Brake High Pedal Disable" set to 'Enable', which I interpreted as meaning it's enabling the disabled feature. Really confusing. I kind of wish they'd just left everything in the original Chinese instead of doing a half-baked job of translating it all into English.

I'll try accessing the controller again, but it's really hard to reach that RS-232 plug while everything is wired up, so it's going to be awhile before I get a few free hours to try it.

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 06:11:44 AM »

OK, I changed the settings to match what you said earlier and still got a solid green light, but nothing happens when I twist the throttle.
  The one setting I didn't change is that throttle from volts to ohms. Are you sure your controller had an ohms setting? When I click on the dropdown box, I get 2 choices: "0-5V" and "1V-4V"

stanelie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2022, 06:25:28 AM »

No, I'm not sure. But it might have been 0-5 volts. I am sure it was not 1-4 volts though.

Are you able to talk to the controller with the Kelly config program while it is hooked up to the motor? I was not able to yesterday...

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2022, 07:53:12 PM »

You and the manual both said that the controller can't be accessed while it's hooked up, so I didn't even try. Anyway, I can't access the communication port while all of those wires are in the way. It was easier to just remove the controller and take it into the house than to take my laptop and power-supply out to the garage.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2022, 10:03:09 AM »

Looking through the Kelly programing info you posted I see 3 things* that might be preventing the bike from working.
* All assumptions are based on my understanding of terrible Chinese to English translations.

PowerOn High pedal Disable - Sounds like this option will prevent the bike from working if the controller senses voltage on the throttle circuit during startup. Might want to try to disable it but keep your finger close to the kill switch. Looks like you can use the "Throttle effective starting position" slider if you need to add a dead zone to the throttle.

Releasing Brake High Pedal Disable - Not sure if this option requires you to hold the brake lever when starting the bike up or if it will disable the throttle when the brake circuit is enabled. I would turn it off.

Forward Switch - Just to confirm do you have a switch that completes this circuit? Based on the description if the wires for this switch are open the throttle will not work.

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2022, 11:52:14 PM »

Stanelie,
  I emailed with somebody from Kelly Controllers, and he said that the 0-5kOhm option is there, it just doesn't show up in the dropdown list. In order to select it, you have to scroll down. Sure enough, there it was! I did that, reattached the wires to the controller, and still nothing.
 Here's yet another thing that's confusing me: when I connect my laptop to the Zero's Main Bike Board and look at the inputs, it shows this (my hand was twisting the throttle at the time):
  - Raw Throttle0 Position    :  513 ADC
  - Raw Throttle1 Position    :  1021 ADC
  - Normalized Thr Position   :  705 ADC
  - Final Throttle Position   :  68%
  - Throttle Out              :  1684 mV (345 ADC)

Notice that the Throttle Out setting is given in millivolts, not in ohms. Does that mean the Kelly Controller's throttle input should be in volts rather than in ohms?

Demoni,
  Thanks for your help in this. I, too, and really confused by the poor Chinese-to-English descriptions in the settings, so I'm just guessing on several of them. I'll try your settings.

stanelie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2022, 12:00:57 AM »

A resistance can never be read directly. If we take a pot, for example, one would connect the resistance to ground and V+ rail, and the wiper would swipe between those, outputting a variable voltage. The way I understant it, the MBB emulates this voltage output. So, it is still correct to attach this to the "resistance" reading of the kelly controller. The difference is that the V+ voltage that would normally be attached to the pot is not there, as the voltage is supplied by the MBB directly.

I will confirm this soon, but I am pretty sure I set my controller to "0-5Ko" input mode, even if the MBB outputs a voltage, and this works for me.

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2022, 12:35:20 AM »

Stanelie,
  I measured the two (throttle + ground) wires that plug into the controller, and it's definitely a range of voltage from 0V to 2.95V as the throttle opens.
  I started a new discussion post on that a few minutes ago. It seems odd to me that:
1) the maximum output is only 2.95V, not 5V, and;
2) it reaches 2.95V at around 40% throttle, then the voltage just levels off and stays there for the rest of the twist.

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2022, 12:56:47 AM »

Here are my latest settings on the Kelly Controller. Most of the confusion is on page1.
Forward Switch: I interpreted this to mean that if there's no distinct switch present, then the throttle itself acts as the switch when you twist it. But I disabled this anyway.

Throttle Sensor Type: I had this on 0-5k Ohms, but it wasn't doing anything, so I changed it back to 0-5V, even though the throttle wires going into the controller only have a range of 0V-2.95V.

Throttle Effective Starting Position: I have this set at 2%, but I have no idea 2 percent of what? Is it 2 percent of the maximum 5 volts? Does that mean that if the controller detects 0.1V at start-up, it will error out? Or does it mean that as I twist the throttle, nothing will happen until I've twisted it enough to have 0.1V running to the controller?

Pages: 1 [2] 3