• May 09, 2024, 12:54:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Running 2010 Zero again after parked for 11 years - getting random 8 blinks  (Read 841 times)

udracing

• View Profile

I've bought the Zero in 2010 and didn't manage to put more than 600 miles on it. The bike stopped working in 2012 after a day riding in the dirt. Never got around fixing it - but at least I kept it plugged in.
Now 11 years later the battery showed a full charge and after fixing a problem with dirt in the kickstand sensor it ran again. I got up to 13 miles of range out of it ...
However, the bike does cut out sometimes with 8 red blinks (throttle enable from BMS is inactive -> low power pack, charger connected, bad connection between BMS and main board.
When it cuts out the contactor is off, the red light blinks 8 times, then another 8 times, then the contactor clicks on again and I can drive again for a short distance before it cuts out again ...

I thought that maybe the voltage would drop too low during riding and that would cause the error. I attached a volt meter to the motor controller and the voltage never dropped below 42V, at that point the controller makes some noise, seems to be limiting the power. Btw, with a full charge I get 57V.

I have not been able to find the conditions that cause the cutout. It doesn't just happen when I use full power, it seems more likely with half throttle. Sometimes the cutouts will go away and I can keep riding afterwards for miles.

I have not been able to get to the BMS-MBB connections. Do I have to remove the entire battery for that?

Any other ideas what could cause this?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 10:19:50 AM by udracing »

Specter

• View Profile

LI batteries, used or not, do NOT like sitting for long times, they have a shelf life, regardless of their use.
If it sat for 11 years, even though you kept it charged up, chances are the capacity of those batteries is single digit percent of their original.

Aaron

Alan. Yes THAT Alan

• View Profile

"... at that point the controller makes some noise..."

What kind of noise? It wouldn't be a faint hum/soft groan, would it?

udracing

• View Profile

I was able to fix the problem by disconnecting the Anderson connector between the BMS and the battery. It seems that for whatever reason during the ride the BMS would send a signal to the MBB to shut off the bike.
To charge the bike I have to plug it in of course. I could probably just cut the green (signal) cable but haven't done this yet
Pages: [1]