• May 05, 2024, 04:23:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Would you be interested in purchasing a compact lightweight 3.3kW charger for USD700?

Yes, one charger for USD700 sounds great, I want one
- 25 (42.4%)
Yes Yes, I'd take two chargers for USD1250
- 12 (20.3%)
No, I need a charger that is waterproof/dustproof
- 14 (23.7%)
No, I'm happy with my current charging setup
- 4 (6.8%)
No, that price is too high for me
- 1 (1.7%)
No, I just love filling out polls
- 3 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Compact lightweight up to 8kW fast charger for under USD1600 delivered  (Read 17179 times)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Re: Compact lightweight 3.3kW fast charger for USD700
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2017, 05:46:25 PM »

Yeah!
That sounds like a great touring this summer!
I'll get a double pls!

You're welcome to place an order at http://evtricity.com.au/shop/ to reserve your place in the queue for the production units but please be aware that:
- final product finish (paint/anodising) has not been confirmed;
- Europe and USA testing will only start in the next 7 days; and
- overseas charger deliveries won't commence until June subject to the outcome of the Europe and USA testing.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »

I am considering to purchase the double and single charger. The double charger can charge through the chargeport, the single through the controller.
My question:

Is it possible to supply the single charger with a charge kabel with connectors to connect to the controller, as show here?: http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Advanced_Modifications#Charging_Through_Sevcon_Controller

I mean instead of the brown Anderson connector.

Second question:
I want to put the chargers in the rear case. What is the length of the charge cables?

In regard to connecting to the controller, the single charger has a short (20cm) DC output cable with an SB50 connector. To be able to connect it into the controller terminals you can make a DC cable using at least 6mm2 gauge wire with an SB50 on one end and suitable sized ring terminals on the other end. Rather than making a cable that is long enough to have the charger permanently connected to the controller while riding, I'd suggest you make the cable from the controller short and add a boot and cover to the SB50 connector for weatherproofing and tuck it out of the way when riding. When stopped, you can pull out the SB50, remove the cover and then connect a DC extension cable from the single charger to the short cable from the controller. While technically, yes, we could make the controller cable and the extension cable to suitable lengths, we have not tested the chargers permanently connected to the controller and so don't want to give the impression that this configuration is supported when we haven't tested it.

The standard DC fast charge cable with SBS75XBRN connector is 1 metre long (noted in the User Manual). We can make a longer cable, say 2 metres if desired. Just add a note to your order or email your requirement to support@evtricity.com.au.

I will connect the cable fixed to the controller and keep the other end of the cable with the SB50 connector under the seat (I have a quick removable seat).
I dill not always need the quick chargers, only when I am on a longer trip. When I make a longer trip, I can take the topcase with the chargers with me and connect these when I have to charge.
It would be great if you can make these ring terminals to the cable as I don't have a crimp tool. Iw ill contact you later with the details.
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2017, 11:20:26 PM »

I've added a stub for this to the wiki aftermarket page. It'll benefit from some details:

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#EVTricity_Fast_Charging_Kit
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2017, 06:09:41 AM »

I've added a stub for this to the wiki aftermarket page. It'll benefit from some details:

http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Zero_Aftermarket#EVTricity_Fast_Charging_Kit

Thanks Brian. I've updated the wiki aftermarket page with more details. Will add photos when the anodised/powdercoated cases arrive.
2013 Nissan Leaf

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2017, 11:57:32 AM »

An update on progress. We have units in Europe and US being tested as the moment and reports back are good so far. We'll be continuing to work with our fabulous testers over the next 3 weeks as they try out the chargers at different locations including domestic and public charging and J1772 and Mennekes stations.

We've received our sample black finishes for the charger cases. They look great and we'll be looking to proceeding with a gloss black anodising for all cases going forward.

We expect to ship the first production units in the w/c 12th June with deliveries to customers arriving in the w/c 19th June in Europe and the USA. Thank you to those how have pre-ordered so far. We'll get your charging kits to you as soon as we can, subject to the anodising and locale testing.

Here are some photos of the chargers in the black gloss case. Hope you like them!
2013 Nissan Leaf

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2017, 02:34:53 AM »

AWESOME !
Thanks a lot for making this and sell it, thanks thanks thanks !

Of course i need one. I have just few questions before checkout.

About mennekes adaptor :

- Just seen answer about my first question : need a 3 phase station (11kW i suppose, to have 16A by phase). But you speak about 20A for the 2 C19. Does it mean 32A station ? (22kw) ?

- Does it work with 11kw and 22kW station ? (3 phase, 16A or 32A each)

- How will it work will 32A monophased station (7.6kw) : Not at all ? Just 1 of the 3 output cable ? All 3 output but limited to 32A ?

- Does the plug have electronic to "discuss" with the station ? Some station require a "car ready" signal to start deliver power, and a "car charging" signal to continue after start.
This one do it : http://eauto.si/metron-shop/?product=adapter-type-2-3-x-schuko-16-a (look at the 2 grey buttons on the mennekes gun)
Not mandatory for some station, but required by other... Could be nice to have it on yours because your version have the good plugs (avoid to add again adaptor...)

- What is the length of the 3 cables ? Seem very very short on the pic. As the station plug is generaly at 1 meter from the ground, seem very hard to plug them to the charger with theses cables ! Or is it designed to be used with another mennekes<->mennekes cable ? (or with 3 C20/19 long cables)

- You speak about 3 C19 plugs, but our bike have a C13. You speak about a C19>C13 adaptor. Is it included ?

About the 6.6kw charging kit :

- I've seen in documentation that it come with "Double DC fast charger cable included (2 x SB50 to SB120 + SB120 to SBS75XBRN)"
I'm lost with all theses conectors ! The final connector included is the "anderson brown" conector to plug on the "aux" bike conector ? No other adaptor to buy ? (just to be sure !)

I have a givi topcase on my bike. I plan to buy another to mount the charger inside. need a model compatible with my givi monokey plate. Any advise ? (size, form factor, compound...)
Zero S 11k 2016

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2017, 05:05:23 AM »

Lots of good questions and thank you for the positive feedback.

Please see my response below in orange italics

AWESOME !
Thanks a lot for making this and sell it, thanks thanks thanks !

Of course i need one. I have just few questions before checkout.

About mennekes adaptor :

- Just seen answer about my first question : need a 3 phase station (11kW i suppose, to have 16A by phase). But you speak about 20A for the 2 C19. Does it mean 32A station ? (22kw) ?
Our Mennekes adaptors have 20A rated IEC C19 plugs and AWG12 cables. That higher limit is to support users who may want the maximum charger limit of 20A (above the more common 16A most in Europe would want for versatility). To ensure we follow standards we add in the correct resistor level to tell the charging station that the adaptor (extension) may draw up to 20A. With this setup the station may need to be 32A - see below.
- Does it work with 11kw and 22kW station ? (3 phase, 16A or 32A each)
Yes, it will work with 22kW Mennekes stations - both standard Mennekes and Tesla (Mennekes) stations
For 11kW stations, with the standard adaptor and 20A spec resistor (680 ohm) I'm not sure whether it will work at 16A stations (none in Australia) as the EVSE may not accept that the adaptor draws more than 16A. The standard has a resistor level for 20A, but I don't see one for 16A. If there is such a resistor level to state that we will pull 16A then I can create and adaptor with that resistor in it.

- How will it work will 32A monophased station (7.6kw) : Not at all ? Just 1 of the 3 output cable ? All 3 output but limited to 32A ?
Yes, it will work but only on phase 1 i.e. one output cable limited to 20A (the cable/adaptor limit).
- Does the plug have electronic to "discuss" with the station ? Some station require a "car ready" signal to start deliver power, and a "car charging" signal to continue after start.
This one do it : http://eauto.si/metron-shop/?product=adapter-type-2-3-x-schuko-16-a (look at the 2 grey buttons on the mennekes gun)
Not mandatory for some station, but required by other... Could be nice to have it on yours because your version have the good plugs (avoid to add again adaptor...)
Yes, there is a switch on the handle that when off is in EV Charging Ready and when turned on signals EV charging state. This allows you to turn off power to the charger at any time during charging and to allow you to disconnect from the Mennekes station.
- What is the length of the 3 cables ? Seem very very short on the pic. As the station plug is generaly at 1 meter from the ground, seem very hard to plug them to the charger with theses cables ! Or is it designed to be used with another mennekes<->mennekes cable ? (or with 3 C20/19 long cables)
Yes, the three adaptor cables are very short ~30cm. This was by design to suit tethered stations like Tesla provide. For non-tethered stations, the buyer will need to to purchase 3 x C20 to C19 extension cables of a suitable length, at least 2 metres each.
- You speak about 3 C19 plugs, but our bike have a C13. You speak about a C19>C13 adaptor. Is it included ?
Yes, we include a C20 to C13 adaptor with the Mennekes adaptors so that you can plug into your Zero onboard charger.
About the 6.6kw charging kit :

- I've seen in documentation that it come with "Double DC fast charger cable included (2 x SB50 to SB120 + SB120 to SBS75XBRN)"
I'm lost with all theses conectors ! The final connector included is the "anderson brown" conector to plug on the "aux" bike conector ? No other adaptor to buy ? (just to be sure !)
No, you don't need to buy any DC cable. However, you need to purchase a suitable AC cable for your country that has a C19 end to plug into the charger (2 cables for the double 6.6+kW charger) if you want to plug into domestic sockets e.g. Schuko.
I have a givi topcase on my bike. I plan to buy another to mount the charger inside. need a model compatible with my givi monokey plate. Any advise ? (size, form factor, compound...)
Sorry, can't help you with luggage compatible with Zeros. There should be some info on this forum or in the Zero Unofficial Manual at  http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Common_Modifications#Luggage_Rack_Installation.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:09:08 AM by evtricity »
2013 Nissan Leaf

grandpa

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2017, 01:58:56 AM »

ok thanks for your detailed answer :)

no problem for the givi topcase, i will check later.

About the mennekes adaptor, have you tested many EVSE stations ? When the "car ready" signal is sent to the station ?
Zero S 11k 2016

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2017, 03:15:42 AM »

We have tested the Mennekes adaptor with Tesla (EU/HK/AU Mennekes plug) three phase and single phase destination charging stations and Rolec 22kW stations. We would test with more but there are literally no other stations in Sydney, Australia. We expect the adaptor to work with any Mennekes station that follows the Type 2 signalling standard and provides sufficient power.

As far as we are aware, this is the only available Mennekes adaptor that works on three phase Tesla Mennekes destination charging stations.

We will happily refund the purchase price if the adaptor doesn't work on the majority of Mennekes stations in your area.
2013 Nissan Leaf

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2017, 03:21:16 AM »

I'd be interested in one for USA usage.

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2017, 04:01:24 AM »

The USA doesn't have charging stations that use the Mennekes plug. Tesla use a different proprietary plug for charging stations in the USA. If we find a source for high quality Tesla USA charging station adaptors we'll let you know. You could try asking http://shop.quickchargepower.com to see if they could make you one.
2013 Nissan Leaf

forestlane

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2017, 04:22:37 AM »

Hello Evtricity,

great job, these chargers. I am interested in a 6.6 kW and will be happy to hear about the test results in Europe.

ps. I live in The Netherlands and I was in Sydney last december 2016.
2014 Zero S, 2013 Tesla Model S

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2017, 04:45:35 AM »

Hello Evtricity,

great job, these chargers. I am interested in a 6.6 kW and will be happy to hear about the test results in Europe.

ps. I live in The Netherlands and I was in Sydney last december 2016.
Thanks forestlane. We really think the 6.6+kW (7.36kW in Europe at 230v and 16A limit) is the way to go as it maximises the charging you can do on a stock Zero S/SR/DS/DSR. The single charger is good but leaves you charging for 2-2.5 hours from empty which I think is too much to call it fast charging! You either charge fast ~1 hour (6.6+kW plus onboard) when you're on the go or slow (onboard) 5+ hours overnight or at home/work.

Hope you enjoyed your time down under. I stayed in Nunspeet in the Netherlands about 20 years ago when I used to race bicycles. Flat and often windy but the local forests were very nice.

Will definitely update this forum with testing progress in Europe.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:10:03 AM by evtricity »
2013 Nissan Leaf

Emtkopan

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »

The USA doesn't have charging stations that use the Mennekes plug. Tesla use a different proprietary plug for charging stations in the USA. If we find a source for high quality Tesla USA charging station adaptors we'll let you know. You could try asking http://shop.quickchargepower.com to see if they could make you one.

Boo! You just made me sad.  :'(

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2017, 01:03:51 PM »

We also wanted to share that we have been testing a conformal coating to the chargers and will be applying that coating to all production units i.e. those shipped from now onwards.

The conformal coating is applied to the internals of the chargers and provides an additional layer of environmental protection. The actual product we are using is Electrolube's HPA - http://www.electrolube.com/products/conformal-coatings/hpa/acrylic/ if you want to understand a little more about what the product does.

While this coating doesn't make the chargers waterproof per se, we believe it will improve the charger's ability to perform well even in high moisture environments (fog, mist etc).
2013 Nissan Leaf
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15