• May 04, 2024, 11:49:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What was your previous bike?  (Read 1883 times)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: What was your previous bike?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 08:53:53 PM »

I've got a Diversion 900 that owned before getting my Zero-S, however I still use it for longer trips.

I've had a fair few bikes in my time, everything from off roaders, to supersports and tourers. The only thing I've not really owned is a cruiser.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 11:25:08 PM »

What bike did the Zero replace as your daily rider?
Is the Zero now your only motorcycle?

12 Zero DS replaced a Yamaha XT250 as a commuter bike.   It was my ONLY motorcycle for a season.   It was a great commuter bike but I missed longer rides. 

Now I have a 13 Zero FX5.7 which makes an excellent commuter bike AND it is just a kick in the pants to ride as it has much more thrust and power than the 12DS did although I have missed the range of that 9KW battery pack at times. 

After one season of electric only riding I decided that I missed the call of the open road and longer trails so I added a Yamaha WR250R to the stable.  Between the 2 bikes I can take on most any ride that I want to.

If Zero could add fast charging options to their bikes that would work in the real world I would consider going electric only again.  For me I would need around 170 miles of range and the ability to recharge at least to 80% in 30 minutes or less and being able to do that in rural areas.  I don't see that coming for several years.   It is pretty easy to pour in 3 gals of gas in the WR and roll for another 200 miles. 
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 07:46:41 AM »

My '88 Honda Magna 750 was a joy to ride, almost "electric" in its smoothness.  It became [even more] high-maintenance at about 60,000 miles, and I finally parked it in my garage for so many years that the carbs are frozen.  I test rode 2011 S and DS models late in 2011, and, on Halloween day, cut a purchase check for a 2011 DS, with the condition that the dealer hold off on transferring the title for 8 days until the impending EICMA show, when the '12's would be revealed.  The new AC motor and regen sold me, so I had effectively made a BIG deposit on the '12 model, which I received in January 2012.  I really like my DS ZF6, but it tends to overheat when I try to ride it like my Magna on the highway, which accounts for 80%+ of my daily commute.  A test ride on the SR convinced me that it would solve any speed/acceleration shortcomings.  Sure enough, I am VERY happy with my SR ZF 14.1!  =D 

...AND I don't miss the cost of those 16-valve tune-ups!! 8)

Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

ut-zero

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 02:09:54 AM »

Quite a diverse crowd here.  My wife forced me to sell my old Honda Blackbird to get the Zero.
Things I miss: extended tours, excessive speed, that $15K in savings
Things I don't miss: engine noise, clutching, shifting, filter changes, chain adjustments, oil changes, gas stations

tommi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 03:33:24 AM »

Vespa 50 S! (I'm sticking with 'S'  models for now)
Using Tapatalk

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »

First year S1000RR.  I really do not miss getting fried at stop lights here in S. Florida.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »

My 2014 Zero DS 11.4 with powertank replaced my 2011 H-D XR1200 and I don't miss the engine heat! I enjoy the reduced sound from the DS as I ride through the Santa Cruz mountains. Previous bikes have included Triumph Bonneville 850, Norton Commando, Yamaha DS400, H-D dresser, and many smaller machines over the past 30 years.
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com
Pages: 1 [2]