• May 08, 2024, 04:58:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Minor Adjustment  (Read 308 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
A Minor Adjustment
« on: May 18, 2021, 01:46:39 AM »

After riding my K1200LT a few weeks ago I noticed something odd when I got back on the Zero.  It was something I had gotten used to and didn't think about anymore until I rode the K1200LT.  I had to double check with the XMAX but I discovered something about the Zero.

Ever since I had my first one I hated the rear-view mirrors.  I got a better view of my upper arms than I did of anything behind me.  This was also true of the one I have now.  Thanks to the ride on the LT I finally figured it out.

See, normally when I ride I like having the brake and clutch levers in such a way that in order to reach them I just have to extend my fingers; I don't have to flex my wrist at all.  My 1985 K100 was set up this way and EVERY bike I've had since then has been adjusted this same way EXCEPT (for some reason) the Zeros.  My XMAX was set up this way by the Yamaha dealership when I picked it up, but the former owners of Gold Coast (where I purchased my Zeros) never did this for either of my Zeros.  With the Zero I'd have to bend my hand upward in order for my fingers to wrap around the brake lever.

So this past weekend I whipped out my trusty metric allen keys and set to work.  I didn't QUITE get the brake lever adjusted where I want it... I need to loosen a banjo bolt holding the brake hose and move that because right now it is pressing against some cables.  I've rotated it as far down as I can without making that final adjustment but the reach to the brake lever requires almost no wrist movement at all.  Since there is no lever on the left handlebar I had to eyeball the mirror location and adjust that one so it was equal to the right side.

First ride and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  I can now clearly see what is behind me and in the lanes to either side of me without having to do any contortions.  This weekend I'll see what I can do about that brake hose connection but so far, so good.  Braking is also much easier and comfortable now, too.  I should've done this MONTHS ago.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: A Minor Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 04:51:41 AM »

Cool!

Posture really matters for how mirrors are positioned.  Gotta make sure they're positioned to match your posture.  (And body size)

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

victor6.7y

• ^.^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 12:42:39 PM »

Hmmm that is a smart Adjustment!

I should look into it. When driving for a long time i notice my right wrist starts to annoy me. Not sure if it is due to breaking or the throttle.

On my old bike I had bar mirrors. There I could look directly behind me. With my zero my posture is narrow enough for the standard mirrors. I have the left mirror setup such that I can see the traffic that is overtaking me. The right mirror is setup such that I can look partly behind myself.
- 2019 Zero S 14.4
- 2000 Honda VTR 1000F

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 11:48:51 PM »

Took the time out to loosen the banjo bolt so I could pivot the assembly a little farther.  Had to be VERY careful not to loosen it too much or I'd have leaking brake fluid.  I had to resist the urge to yank on the wrench for that reason but with slow, steady pressure I was able to break the bolt loose enough to pivot the downpipe forward.

Once that was done, I loosened up the Allen bolt holding the mirror/brake assembly and pivoted it a little more downward.  Once I was satisfied it was perfect, I snugged everything down and I'm good to go. 

I did notice ONE thing though... with the brake lever in the current position if I squeezed it too hard it banged against the throttle housing.  The brake lever does have an adjuster so I was able to push it forward a bit and it no longer hits it.  Fortunately, I don't have short fingers.  Adjusting that throttle housing requires a keyed torx bit which I don't have.  No idea why Zero did it that way but everything is good for me now.  YMMV.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1]