• May 08, 2024, 01:01:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Regenerative parking !  (Read 1079 times)

CeroC

• View Profile
Regenerative parking !
« on: July 14, 2015, 04:20:40 PM »

Only couple hundred miles on 2015 Zero S model, but consistently the percentage of battery charge remaining will increase 2-4% after sitting in parking garage or outside after either 5 mile ride to barn or 10.5 mile ride to work and 5-12 hours of inactivity. Seems to increase more at barn, where it is sitting in sunlight. Not complaining, but any thoughts? Also FYI, I have added commuter windshield and Givi top case without any obvious range penalty and subjectively may have improved range, albeit small "N".

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Regenerative parking !
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:48:25 PM »

No "regeneration" of energy, but if you start your ride in the morning with the battery chilling in a garage (cell temperature ~70F) and then you park it in direct sunlight for several hours (cell temp 100-120F), then you may have slightly more energy available. It's not "free" - the maximum energy will reduce again when you park it and it cools overnight, but it may be real. You may be able to get another mile or two of range riding in the afternoon vs riding in the morning.

Battery SOC is a weird thing. Cell temperature, voltage, coloumb counting, wear, etc all factor into determining how much energy is actually available. People write PHD dissertations on how to accurately gauge available energy. In practice this is usually done either by using a lookup table or by counting coloumbs in / out of the battery, resetting after a top balance.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 08:29:53 PM »

My battery percentage-left indication seems to drop one or two points when I turn off my bike and then turn it back on after a few minutes.  I think it is just the way the program works.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Zero changed the battery-charge program slightly between the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 11:31:28 PM »

Besides regenerative parking, you have regenerative stopping. I have drained my battery twice now...near home and on purpose kind of, and if the bike shuts off after a few minutes the bike will reboot and give you another short burst of battery power..maybe half a block. Remind me of the Princess Bride where the prince wasn't completely dead, only mostly dead.

proximityproduct

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 01:20:45 AM »

Remind me of the Princess Bride where the prince wasn't completely dead, only mostly dead.

:D

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 01:52:43 AM »

A couple of times I've stopped quick-charging (Elcons or the Zero house charger) at 85% because I didn't want to wait.

After I shut down & disconnect the chargers, then switch back on, it reads 100%, not 85%
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR
Pages: [1]