• May 07, 2024, 10:30:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Instrumentation  (Read 2804 times)

ender9492

• View Profile
Instrumentation
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:12:12 AM »

Does anybody have any recommendations for which gauges to use? I know I'll need an amp meter, and volt meter, plus I'll need a speedometer too, as I'm not using the stock one. I was looking into the Cycle Analyst, since it seems to cover everything in one nice little package, as well as being fairly inexpensive. Does anyone have a review on that?
The Curtis enGage IV seemed a little more hi-tech, but I'm not sure it's worth the money. I basically just want something that is bolt-on, and plug-and-play. I really don't want to have to do a lot of work to get it hooked up.

Bogan

• View Profile
Re: Instrumentation
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:20:10 AM »

really all you need is a speedo and odometer, just reset the odo each time you charge it to avoid being stranded. Amp meter and voltmeter provide good telemetry but are not essential. The ones that show current level of charge in the battery would be quite useful as well.

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:45:14 PM »

@7genblog replied with the following on twitter...
@ElectricRiders On my electric motorcycle I have a high-current CycleAnalyst as well as PakTrakr.. pretty good but I still want better

FYI, RSS from this site is sent to twitter and posted by user http://twitter.com/electricRiders

ender9492

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:52:49 AM »

Skadamo, what are the advantages/disadvantages of what you are currently using? What would you look into getting instead?

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:22:58 AM »

I had this guy on an electric artcar I helped build. I've been wanting to see if it will even power up with the zero. Its low end is 60volts so I dont think it will
http://www.metricmind.com/evision.htm But its a great display just insane price.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:52:59 AM by picasso »

NewAge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:27:56 AM »

I use a PakTrakr 600 for my 48v lead acid pack, i included the current sensor option which allows me to view how many amps and watts are being used in real time (either motor or battery depending on where you mount the bus bar).

Regarding the speedometer, I use a Garmin nuvi 205 (GPS), it is super valuable for electric application because it not only is a speedo/odometer but it can record the max speed attained during that riding session as well as moving time, stopped time, moving average, and overall average. All of that information can be monitored while you ride so that you can more accurately judge how much battery life is left to get you home.

Incidently, one of the Paktrakr 600's multiple displays is a two line state of charge bar graph (line one) and digital overall volt readout (line two) to assist in keeping you aware of your range.

http://www.paktrakr.com/index.html

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:31:46 AM »

really all you need is a speedo and odometer, just reset the odo each time you charge it to avoid being stranded. Amp meter and voltmeter provide good telemetry but are not essential. The ones that show current level of charge in the battery would be quite useful as well.

I disagree... I feel that you need something to monitor volts and amps... I don't see how you could get away without it. You need some sort of way to tell your battery state of charge... and a way to tell how many amps you're pulling while you're dialing the system in. Otherwise you're a little blind when it comes to estimating range especially with a partial charge.
Travis

Bogan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 03:42:59 AM »

good point, i was just thinking reseting the odo once charged would be enuf, works on petrol bikes anyway. but it wud be nice to know the level of charge at all times

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 03:49:36 AM »

Yeah, I guess I can't completely disagree then....

you could measure how long you can go.... and just KNOW that you have to start being careful by mile 25 or whatever....
Travis

MotoJussi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 03:38:57 PM »

Does anybody have any recommendations for which gauges to use?

No recommendation, but I have Cagica Freccia original speedo and Victron BMV 600 (volts, amps, cumulative amps, charge left, understands regen. Not bad.)

http://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-600%20and%20bmv-602/

I'm planning to reuse the Cagivas original termometer. I think I'll get original termistor and sink it to motor (epoxy?) to see how it goes. Water does not get much warmer than 100C, I have no idea about the ME0708 safe limits (ok, vendor said 190F is still in the sane area).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:40:40 PM by MotoJussi »

NewAge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:07:39 PM »

I had this guy on an electric artcar I helped build. I've been wanting to see if it will even power up with the zero. Its low end is 60volts so I dont think it will
http://www.metricmind.com/evision.htm But its a great display just insane price.

Cha-ching!! and I thought that $200 was big bucks for the paktrakr... They sure are pretty though  ;D

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »

Viktor (the guy who is selling those) has something else in the works ... there's a real need for instrumentation right now, as well as boards to monitor.

I'm working with some people on a 3.5" Touchscreen color LCD, but I need a monitor board that works....
Travis
Pages: [1]