• May 10, 2024, 04:06:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: 2016 Zero Lineup Announcement at AIMEXPO  (Read 17529 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
2016 Zero Lineup Announcement at AIMEXPO
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2015, 01:11:59 PM »

When I read the article in Motorcylce News Monthly about the 2013 S I thought I'd missed the boat! Here was an electric bike that could be taken seriously! That was two an half years ago and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since. 

Great comments Brian and grmarks.

To us, the end user, it all seems pretty straightforward. ABS, traction control, sourcing better suspension parts. However, for the people making these things it is difficult. In a fledgling company the average employees will have numerous different responsibilities. Trying to focus on one project is a challenge in itself when you are being pulled in five different directions.

I think people at Zero keep an eye on this forum and it is no doubt a valuable source of feedback for them. There is a natural progression and Zero's bikes will continue to evolve. They need to be congratulated on what they've achieved with the resources they've had.

Whatever Zero do bring to market for 2016 will be a massive achievement for them. I thought I was late to the party but it's only just starting to warm up.

Today's owners are still early adopters and should be saluted. IMHO we'll reach a tipping point within two or three years and the market will explode. It just needs a few more people like myself who are currently standing on the sidelines to jump in. I'm yet to see a Zero on the road in London despite commuting every day.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 01:15:40 PM by MostlyBonkers »

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Zero Lineup Announcement at AIMEXPO
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2015, 01:17:21 PM »

+1 wavelet, I was writing my post when you sent yours.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2015, 02:18:49 PM »

I read that Zero got (will get) a government grant, not long ago, for R&D. So we may see some new and better stuff on the 2017 model. Like the jump from a DC motor to Zero's own AC motor we have now. Many ppl have talked about an integrated controller/charger and that would make sense as it would save weight as well as being able to deliver faster charging. But who knows what Zero will develop with the money. Just that the bikes should continue to get better. 

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »

To answer this and several other several similar comments, "excusing" Zero for delivering a barebones bike at a premium price because it is a small company: of course that's the case! Will not having a good service network and not including safety features that many comparably priced bikes with similar or better capabilities have help Zero sell more bikes? Of course not... Do I want Zero to go the way of the Vectrix? Nope. But to grow, a manufacturer has to either lower their prices or match others for features (while maintaining quality and good customer service). Right now I think Zero is outside these parameters and as a result only is able to sell to a small number of early adopters willing to pay a premium and take a risk.

So let me rephrase my wish for 2016 (or soon thereafter): add a good traction and stability control, better ABS, remote diagnostics at the customer location + better service.

Zero should find out a way to get more advanced rider aids. Look at the cool stuff that comes here for about the same price as a barebones SR: https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2016-Ninja-ZX-10R-ABS-KRT-Edition

You're comparing Zero to Kawasaki?

Anyway, it's not Zero's fault for not delivering all of the nice bits you see on more common motorcycles. There's a reason they're the only electric motorcycle company delivering at under $20k.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:42:31 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »

My guess is that Zero is not designing their motorcycles for EV enthusiasts and "early adopters", but for the "man on the street".  That is where future sales are.  EV enthusiasts will buy the bikes just because they don't run on gasoline.  But there are a limited number of those people.  What Zero wants to do is to attract customers who just want a practical motorcycle that doesn't need gasoline, is easy to maintain and ride.  How they decide to do that might not make sense to most of the people that frequent this forum.  It will be interesting to see what direction they go in with the 2016 models.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2015, 01:25:44 AM »

Does somebody know if the announcement will be streamed?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2015, 03:48:12 AM »

I don't know about this year, but I seem to recall that Zero made a video of their presentation at the show and then posted it on YouTube later. I doubt there is going to be any live presentation streaming.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2015, 04:39:07 AM »

Today's owners are still early adopters and should be saluted. IMHO we'll reach a tipping point within two or three years and the market will explode. It just needs a few more people like myself who are currently standing on the sidelines to jump in. I'm yet to see a Zero on the road in London despite commuting every day.

Not a lot of us on the road... though I swear I saw a Zero near Southam last week (no it was not mine, a 2012 DS probably) a small motocross bike nipped past me on the other side of the road, and there are not many small sized motorcross bikes that make no sound... Headlamp and forks looked really familiar too. I probably should have spun around and chased it down to see if I was right, but that's just, well rude. ;)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2015, 05:32:53 AM »

My guess is that Zero is not designing their motorcycles for EV enthusiasts and "early adopters", but for the "man on the street".  That is where future sales are.  EV enthusiasts will buy the bikes just because they don't run on gasoline.  But there are a limited number of those people.  What Zero wants to do is to attract customers who just want a practical motorcycle that doesn't need gasoline, is easy to maintain and ride.  How they decide to do that might not make sense to most of the people that frequent this forum.  It will be interesting to see what direction they go in with the 2016 models.

Do you have any idea how expensive the parts are on the Zero's?. I started to build/convert my own bike to electric. The battery on my bike was 11 kwh and cost $5,000 AUD about 4 years ago (when the Aussie $ was worth more than the US $) but my battery is at least 3 times the size of the Zero and heavier. At the time I could have got a battery that was maybe 2/3's the size for about $30,000. My motor was 15kw peak. My controller was 400 amp, voltage is about the same as the Zero. The bike weighs 250kg.
My SR cost me $25,000 AUD this year, the battery, as I said, is 1/3 the size, and 12.5 kwh (bigger), the bike weight is 188kg and the motor is 50kw.
The battery is on the cutting edge for size and weight and so is the motor and the controller is more powerful. What Zero have achieved is amazing for the price.
It's just not possible to make an electric bike with similar performance to a petrol one for a similar price yet.
But in a few years it will be, and the electric bike will be better, more powerful and more range than a petrol bike. It all comes down to the price of the battery.       

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2015, 06:54:42 AM »

I'm sure people will post articles as soon as they are available.  We're a pretty alert group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2015, 07:37:03 AM »

Go to the Zero facebook  page they may stream something there. I signed up for the news letter so might get an email from that.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2015, 08:00:33 AM »

First Post!

I work near Zero Headquarters and I see Zero guys all the time eating at my local places.

I saw a guy that was in the know on 2016, but I forget his title.  I started asking him what to expect.

He told me he could not tell me, but he did tell me this:

1. Big changes happened last year, so this year is a update. (This is the second time I have been told by a Zero employee that 2016 will be a tiny launch)
2. No fairings.  Those are long to develop. 
3. A better, more integrated commuter windscreen for the R & SR is coming as a accessory, but not during the 2016 launch. 

My guess is that the engineering team is busy doing custom builds for the police and military.  Navy Seal stuff. 

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2015, 08:26:45 AM »

First Post!

I work near Zero Headquarters and I see Zero guys all the time eating at my local places.

I saw a guy that was in the know on 2016, but I forget his title.  I started asking him what to expect.

He told me he could not tell me, but he did tell me this:

1. Big changes happened last year, so this year is a update. (This is the second time I have been told by a Zero employee that 2016 will be a tiny launch)
2. No fairings.  Those are long to develop. 
3. A better, more integrated commuter windscreen for the R & SR is coming as a accessory, but not during the 2016 launch. 

My guess is that the engineering team is busy doing custom builds for the police and military.  Navy Seal stuff.

I think part of that is the "party line".  Summer of 2014, I was told to expect minor updates and slight increase in range.   There was more than that when 2015s were announced.  One can always hope for more at least.  The biggest thing I want before I buy is not additional features, but better reliability and support.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »

The strategy of producing a bike that people want to buy, regardless of its powertrain, is a good one. That's what Tesla are doing. They allow people to justify the price premium because of the powertrain and running costs but also because it makes the whole experience better.

Aside from really hard core petrol heads, the average biker will want to buy a Zero in a few years when range, fast charging, dealerships and support are sorted. Rome wasn't built in a day. [emoji4]

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2015, 01:28:34 PM »

Oh, and the price of oil starts creeping up again...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13