• May 07, 2024, 03:34:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Solar PV Charge station for my DS ?  (Read 2284 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: Solar PV Charge station for my DS ?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »

Let me make sure I understand one aspect correctly: the built-in charger does not communicate via CAN and is not controlled by the BMS in any way, other than being able to be disconnected via the contactor? (not the Meanwell, the latest single brick units)
'15 Zero SR

SolarMeter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 12:55:41 AM »

I finally got the MPPT solar charger hooked up and it works great.  I only used to charge the battery up to about half full because I did not enable the BMS.  The charger does do constant current and then constant voltage charging when the battery reaches the setpoint entered into the MPPT.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 03:35:51 AM »

I charge off my solar battery bank. Every morning the bank is usually fully charged, so as soon as solar input hits 12A, I hook up the onboard charger. In full sun, input is usually more than output so batteries are basically in float and the panels are essentially charging and the batteries not really discharging. So bike gets topped off and battery bank still remains near full. One could set up a 1500w solar array and have enough sun power to keep a cheap set of batteries full.  On a small second solar system I use, I have a 65w panel, a  cheap Harbor Freight charge controller and a cheap Harbor freight 2000W inverter, and 2 lead acid RV batteries.  I could charge the bike with that set up as well, but batteries would be discharged quite a bit.  However for OP, since he only needs to charge to top off for his short commute, this set up would work perfectly.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:37:46 AM by dukecola »
Pages: 1 [2]