• May 04, 2024, 01:49:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fully Faired SR/F Model spotted testing in the wild  (Read 2282 times)

dalamario

• View Profile
Re: Fully Faired SR/F Model spotted testing in the wild
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 03:51:51 PM »

Was just watching this video with subtitles enabled for italian and right about 1:15 mark to 1:26 mark, the subtitles say that Josef Morat (Country Manager Italia ZERO Motorcycles) confirming a faired version officially coming soon.

Maybe someone who knows italian can confirm :)

-Shayan
Yes, he say it's coming soon, nothing more.
BTW at this link there is a picture taken on the street somewhere in the US https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors/zero-srf-full-fairing-spy-photo/

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 04:59:06 PM »

I can confirm that. I've been at the EICMA 2019 Friday and had the chance to talk to the marketing director of Zero Europe (don't know his name).
He also said a SR/F-Version (may be has another name then) with fairing would come. If I remember correctly, he said, pictures would be available about January. Then I think a view month later the bike should be available. Early summer? I'm not quite sure what timeline he mentioned.

No other colors for the SR/F planned at the moment. May be, for the new faired version? I did not ask.

Wind-shields, top- and side cases should be available earlier then the new faired bike he said. No drop-protection is planned in the accessory-department. Later, another back office-member of the team Europe told me, I should look at R&G. He thinks, they are working on it.

The marketing director also told me, especially in the first months they had problems to come up with the demand, which was much bigger than they expected. He had 7 bikes for journalists and everyone wanted to test ride one at the same time. The worst thing was, that some people who ordered early (selling started in February) had nonetheless to wait nearly until the season was over. It seemed to me he had a really bad conscience about that.

I asked, if they deliver ordered bikes with the additional tank or the rapid charge system (6kW) directly from the states. They did, but have stopped. As the delivery from the states by ship takes quite some time, they are more flexible when the dealer installs the additional options. Otherwise they suddenly have enough bikes in Europe, but in the wrong setup.
I asked, if they plan to build a factory-site in Europe, as S.Pachel mentioned they had to (or have to) build more capacity. No, they don't. May be in a view years they may do the installation of the additional tank, rapid charge system directly in the Netherlands, but not soon. At the moment it is in the hands of the dealers.

One of them also told us (me and another interested guy whom I met at the stand), that he thinks that about 50 dealers wanted information about how to become a Zero-dealer.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:59:58 PM by enaef »
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 08:13:14 PM »

Sounds promising.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 12:06:51 AM »

For what it’s worth, I was onsite at Zero’s headquarters by invitation to chat with the service department and sit in on dealer training. (I also got to learn a lot about the SR/F which I’ll try to relate soon.)

Whatever this is seems to be something they want to show off when they can. There was a certain excitement when I mentioned the photo leak. I think Zero is allowing more signals these days about where they want to go next, which helps when it comes to perceived shortcomings like L3 charging solutions or fairings or whatever. Who knows, maybe this leak was intentional; they certainly didn’t seem too bothered.

As I’ve said, any fairing support with a cockpit gets my vote, even if I’m motivated to modify it to go further.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 01:59:45 AM »

Re the preceeding few posts, it all sounds very promising.

Maybe not very surprising, since the SR/F significantly higher GVWR's was a big hint that Zero has been thinking about larger bikes, more suitable for long distances -- better luggage, pillion passenger and/or higher battery capacity and range, and a fairing is a big part of that. However, it is a nice surprise that it seems to be nearer-term.
I'd expect a larger bike to also offer as an option a larger battery pack (more than the Power Tank provides).

My expectation is that such bikes will sell fairly well, despite necessarily being more expensive. Hopefully the lack of CCS DC charging won't be a serious roadblock.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 02:20:04 AM »

I'd love to see it, too...but I'm a little bit skeptical about what's considered a "full fairing" these days. If any motorcycle needs aerodynamics, it's ours, and not some half-assed thing that's only "full" in comparison to today's "bikini" fairings. We need a fairing that covers the complete motorcycle and as much of the rider as possible.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 02:25:36 AM »

Regarding the photo leak: I think it was the marketing director Europe who told me, the leak was from a guy working in a competitor factory nearby  (something with B....?) who always would observe traffic closely for 'new developments' and in that case took a picture in a hurry.
I also had not the impression that this disturbed Zero. "They are allways doing test rides around the area of course" he mentioned easily.

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 02:37:56 AM »

Quote Doug S: "I'd love to see it, too...but I'm a little bit skeptical about what's considered a "full fairing" these days."

As far as I understood it won't be a full fairing. Probably more of a bikini fairing as you named it  :). He showed me roughly, which parts would be covered. But please don't count on that; I'm a newby regarding motorcycles, not even owing one yet. So I didn't ask details others probably would have ... sorry  ;D
If it's the opposite you'll have a positive surprise ....

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 05:20:19 AM »

Not sure how they can achieve L3 DC charging capabilities without the need to overhaul their battery architecture entirely, but fairings would certainly get my vote too! It would probably be the be the most cost effective way for Zero to improve range at this point in time. But dont know how/if these fairings would be compatible to non SR/F models.

They could go about providing the 3kW chargers that they have for the SR/F to S/DS/SR/DSR bikes, since they share the same battery pack and that would be a great improvement to charge times combined with the gains in range through fairings. I really loved that custom winged fairing on the SR/F that was shown off in EICMA by a 3rd party bike customizer.

From the Laguna Seca lap of the pikes peak SR/F, so that should be some progress then:
The Pikes bike has revised firmware settings to allow the motor and controller to run deeper into its thermal limits before pulling back power.

Looking at the leaked pic, it did not look like a bikini fairing, but more like sport touring. I could be wrong though.
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »

That leaked picture is not a half top only fairing. It looks more like a sports fairing with the existing SR/F back end.

I doubt that would add much range though. Mounting clip ons  will have more effect and even then only on higher speeds.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 12:18:40 AM »

That fairing is at least ¾ by anyone’s judgement, definitely down to the bottom of the frame and fully sculpting the battery front. You can tell that it covers the trellis and case fins below the knee.

The windscreen is on the short side, and that would be my very first modification.

I’m unclear on the cockpit, but the dash getting moved forward and off the steering head would be welcome, just easier to glance at.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »

Looking at this article and the interview from Josef Morat, the faired version might be coming in April 2020:

https://advrider.com/zero-motorcycle-event-at-officine-mermaid-fuori-outside-eicma-2019/?fbclid=IwAR3ZAbQh5lcr7ZwF-uyFVcsGYfdRtYsmvE1fO5vrpL14CTbx-zm8ttYNBZw
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

daniels1216

• Zero Motorcycle SR/S premium
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2020, 06:25:55 AM »

It's coming! I'm extremely excited about it and almost as I was before the SR/F was released.
10 year daily motorcycle rider, lifelong B.M.X. rider, and lifelong academic advocating for smart transportation in California

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2020, 08:36:44 AM »

It's coming! I'm extremely excited about it and almost as I was before the SR/F was released.
What did you hear beyond the stuff abovethread, to the extent you can say without compromising sources?
Pages: 1 [2]