• May 07, 2024, 09:49:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can't enable some Tesla chargers  (Read 1353 times)

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
Re: Can't enable some Tesla chargers
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 07:55:41 PM »

Yeah 2014ZeroSR -- i assume that it would be a limited time before Tesla got rid of this "feature" ... I just wish that it was common for J1772 stations to support the full range of charging that the standard allows -- 19.2kW if i remember correctly. I have an extra J inlet for #DubJay charging, but on road trips often find only one hotel in a small town with a single J1772 plug (which may or may not work) or often only two Tesla plugs. All of the Tesla stations whether owned by Tesla or by a hotel have consistently high ratings on Plugshare, but if a J1772 station isn't owned/operated by Chargepoint (who don't really have stations outside large cities here), then they frequently don't work.

It's great to charge at 40A on a 240V NEMA 14-50 plug at RV parks, but if I have to do my driving at night because of the battery overheating issues, then I don't want to have to wake up the RV park owner at night just to ask if I can pay them a few dollars for charging ...
Here in east Texas, even at 8 or 9AM my battery temperature reads already  95F after cooling all night because humidity never lets night get very cold... and there are not many non-highway roads between towns that also have charging available along them, so I can't just ride at 40MPH ... so I am stuck with trying to charge at night if I want to ride a couple hundred miles between towns before I reach battery overheating limits ... which brings me back to why I like to find Tesla stations where I can just plug in at 4AM and not bother anyone.

In cities Houston and Austin and San Antonio it is easy to find charging, but challenging to drive between the cities.
2014 Zero 11.4

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 08:31:23 PM »

It's great to charge at 40A on a 240V NEMA 14-50 plug at RV parks, but if I have to do my driving at night because of the battery overheating issues, then I don't want to have to wake up the RV park owner at night just to ask if I can pay them a few dollars for charging ...

Under circumstances like those, I might be inclined to slip a $5 bill in an envelope with a short note, drop it in the mail slot, then just go hook up to an open outlet. If a guard or somebody comes around, explain what you did and he should be able to verify the envelope you dropped in the mail slot.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 02:53:44 AM »

This is also hapening to me. I just got the Tesla  compatible inlet from Diginow and I tested on 5 different destination charger stations ( Level II at 208-240V) and none of these are working. At first I have tought  that the gun was not going fully deep enough in my tesla  inlet  and that the  little pin  that the switch is connected to was not reaching the female pin of the tesla station gun and could not make the contact for activation but I also tried to just insert the pins alone and not the black plastic inlet.. and I got the same problem…. All 4 pins( L1, L2, GND and activation pin) insert fully into the tesla charge station gun.

The green led on the tesla station main ON  all the time and I have no sign of any  possible detection of the plug I connect to it. Normally after 11-30s if you flip the switch ON the charge would begin and the green led would be sequentially flashing  on the station but in my case it simply never happened.

I am just out of idea.. Brandon told me that in California that they all  work, but I confirm I am the only user in Quebec that use these tesla inlet and that  it does not work for me.

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Булгаков

• давай быстрее!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 05:22:25 AM »

Under circumstances like those, I might be inclined to slip a $5 bill in an envelope with a short note, drop it in the mail slot, then just go hook up to an open outlet. If a guard or somebody comes around, explain what you did and he should be able to verify the envelope you dropped in the mail slot.

Doug -- thanks - I have done that a couple times, but I would hate to be accused of stealing power if they wish to charge a ridiculous minimum price for charging (one place said $10 minimum even though I don't have a 80kWh Tesla battery .. ).

Has anyone had a problem with just throwing a few dollars in the mail slot before?

Also Doctorbass -- I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck in Quebec ...
I wonder how long it is until someone reverse-engineers the Tesla handshake that is used to verify that a Tesla car is connected?
2014 Zero 11.4
Pages: 1 [2]