• May 05, 2024, 06:35:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wyoming proposes to mandate the use of fossil fuels  (Read 1010 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Wyoming proposes to mandate the use of fossil fuels
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 10:13:21 PM »

Wind power is also problematic; the hazards they present for migratory birds and bats have been well documented.

JaimeC, generally I agree with everything you said, NOTHING is maintenance-free let alone future-proof, but I do want to pick a minor point with you regarding wind turbines being "bird killers". Yes, it's true, birds do occasionally collide with wind turbines, but the numbers have been GREATLY exaggerated by the nay-sayers who can't find any valid reasons to rail against wind power. Someone recently calculated domestic cats kill something like 100,000 times as many birds as wind turbines do.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

bluefoxicy

• View Profile
Re: Wyoming proposes to mandate the use of fossil fuels
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 03:10:21 AM »

Representative David Miller, a Republican and one of the co-sponsors of the fossil-fuel requirement, is quoted as saying: "I want the electricity at my house generated by coal, because that's the cheapest way to go."   :o

That's USSR-style command economy.  The representative is stating that he understands best what businesses should produce and by what method, and so the Government should dictate the production methods for the good of the people.

This is starting to get into politics, though.  I like economics, but economics isn't generally discussed as a science; people take a political position and plug their ears as they try to cling to the ideals they want to be true.  That's why you see a lot of truly ludicrous explanations given in economic arguments--and a lot of meaningless ideals like "creating jobs".
Pages: 1 [2]