• May 14, 2024, 09:39:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/S 12 volt power for GPS  (Read 1034 times)

konacyclist

• View Profile
SR/S 12 volt power for GPS
« on: July 16, 2020, 03:13:01 AM »

I tried to find the 12 volt accessory source at the left of the ignition switch by loosening a nearby louvred panel with no success. I probed around the area with my inspection camera but could not spot a likely connector. Has anyone with an SR/S connected a GPS near the left handgrip? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Konacyclist
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: SR/S 12 volt power for GPS
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 03:40:01 AM »

You'll want to read this thread:  https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=10071

There's accessory power down below, you'll have to route the power you need.

I don't know if it's been ported to the unmanual yet.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Gains

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 03:49:47 AM »

Under the tank just behind the steering axel ,the plug is protected by a black cap.

konacyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 08:42:51 PM »

Many thanks to Crissa  and Gains. Now, I just need to overcome my anxiety over removing the necessary plastic panels to access the accessory connector.
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 03:32:05 AM »

Yeah, plastics are both easy and touchy ^-^;

On my S, I found that a low-power screwdriver with a tight-space right-angle adapter (and a selection of long and short bits) helped immensely, since it let me focus on holding the screws and bolts instead of twisting them.

Good luck!

-Crissa

PS: I have no idea how the SR/S plastics are held on, but I imagine Zero's penchant for tight spaces hasn't changed.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

konacyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 12:16:16 AM »

Zero has done a really tidy job of hiding fasteners for the fairing. I am usually more  adventurous when it comes to dismantling things but I have not tackled this job yet. I'm still planning and acquiring parts. I also realize that my gps has a longer battery run time than my Zero!

Konacyclist
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT

konacyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 10:57:16 PM »

I can now report that I have finally resolved my accessory power quest. I built my own accessory power cable using parts purchased from Eastern Beaver and had it installed when my dealer was installing a power tank in my bike. I now have 12 volt accessory power at the left side of the handlebar using a SAE connector at the termination of the cable. My Garmin GPS is mounted nearby using a RAM Tough-Claw mount and the Garmin mounting hardware provided with the GPS unit. To complete the connection I had to perform some surgery on the Garmin's cable (snipped approximately sixteen superfluous wires!) and soldered it to a SAE connector which mates to the cable on the handlebar. The GPS can easily be removed when desired. It was totally worth the effort!

konacyclist

Please check my additional post further down to see all four photos of the installation.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:35:01 PM by konacyclist »
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 05:03:32 PM »

Best to take tank cover off for this so you can also find the connector at the front. The one in the rear should be visible in the black wrapped wire at your inner left leg. No need to remove tank cover for that one but it does help anyway to do proper wire routing up front.

The one at you leg is SAE. The one up front is another type.

This video shows how easy the cover comes off with the 4 torx bolts of the tank and the 2 hex bolts at the silver shark teeth sides.

I partially wrapped my Zero SRF with 3M vinyl wrap | My Zero SRF long term test
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

konacyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 10:33:04 PM »

I appreciate any opportunity to see inside those plastic panels and learn how to properly remove them. In the end, I took the easy way out and had my accessory cable connected when the power tank was installed. I don't understand why Zero has not made available a cable like I made. The cables they do make are for other Zero models and terminate in a cigarette lighter outlet with a bracket to attach it. The irony of an advanced electric motorcycle like the Zero using an anachronism such as a cigarette lighter outlet is too much. Most newer automobiles don't have cigarette lighters. A DIN or SAE termination would make more sense. Unfortunately SR/S and SR/F owners don't have a choice, Zero has not made a 12 volt accessory cable available for their motorcycles.
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT

konacyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 11:12:31 PM »

Added two more pics due to size restrictions.
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT

ms_smart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 11:35:49 PM »

I personally think the GPS looks better if center mounted. Since i don't use a tank bag I have good visibility to the space below the dash screen.

konacyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 06:41:24 AM »

ms-smart,
I do like the mount position on your bike. Does the GPS obscure the dash in any way? Do you know the part number for that bolt/ball mount? I just might change the mount on my bike. Thanks for sharing.
konacyclist
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT

ms_smart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »

Attached the view from drivers position. TomTom Rider comes with a RAM mount kit. You need to replace one of the 8mm bolts and get a RAM bullet - something like this: https://www.amazon.com/-/us/dp/B005J43I56

I am confident, that there is also a RAM mount kit for your GPS:)

konacyclist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 10:42:21 PM »

ms_smart,
The photo is very helpful. Thanks. The Amazon link is “right on” also. I am going to order it today. I already have everything else I need to complete the installation. When I first envisioned the GPS addition, I wasn’t sure I wanted to leave the GPS on the bike permanently. Consequently, I went down the easily removable route but your installation changed my mind. It does look better by far!
Thanks for getting back to me with the additional info.
konacyclist
2020 ZERO SR/S Premium
2022 BMW R1250RT
Pages: [1]