• May 04, 2024, 11:40:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Fairing suggestions  (Read 14043 times)

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: Fairing suggestions
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2017, 01:29:32 AM »

Will your knees have room behind it?
'15 Zero SR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2017, 02:07:22 AM »

We'll fit it to accommodate that, might also lower the pegs a bit.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2017, 01:00:15 AM »

Very nice look. I'll upload my photos of my dustbin mount structure for reference; they're more complicated than necessary but it's exploratory so that's okay for now.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2017, 01:30:41 AM »

Thanks, it is now mounted with temporarily wooden struts and I have to say, I really like the look. Can't wait until it is painted orange.

If you want to compare here's a side shot:

It might be nice to do some photoshop magic and do a transparant overlay of both.

The only problem until now is the brake handle:

But nothing that can't be fixed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:30:16 PM by Erasmo »

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2017, 03:49:39 PM »

It looks like you got it to fit without any modification to the tank....Is that right?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2017, 12:20:04 AM »

In this position yes. We'll still have to do some fitting etc but even the tank horns should be able to stay on with a bit of luck.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2017, 02:15:35 AM »

Does the Fairing cover your knees?  I can't tell if it's flat to the frame or curves out to cover your legs.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2017, 03:30:59 AM »

Yes the knees should be behind it.

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2017, 03:48:08 AM »

Very interesting work Erasmo ! Thanks for sharing.

I have made some searching on this fairing, and it appears to be a Powerbronze Voyager
http://www.powerbronze.co.uk/899756/818248/Fairing---VOYAGER.model

It is difficult to find online information for this fairing. There is a post (in French) with some information here
http://moto-gt.fr/dossier/232/carenage-integral-powerbronze-NTV.html
And here is its Google traduction:
https://goo.gl/HQ6GF2
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2017, 06:17:09 AM »

Apologies, I haven't read this entire thread; perhaps this has been addressed: have you any idea how much this might reduce drag, hence increase mileage? Am hoping, when finished, you will post enough info for others to build.

Anyway, I'm fantastically impressed! I really think Zero should spend a year or two working on aerodynamics. At this point performance is superb and range is impressive (SR). If they could improve range by more than 25%  just by offering a fairing such as you've designed .. that would be a HUGE win for the company.

My data point for aerodynamics is my 2004  Aprilia 500cc scooter. Boring acceleration ... but I get 60mpg at fast highway speeds. 'Course, now that I have a zero, I don't ride it much ...
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2017, 09:55:03 PM »

Test fit time:

Note that this is without windscreen. Probably gonna nibble a few centimetres of the point near my foot. It does fit but some wiggle room would be nice.

Very interesting work Erasmo ! Thanks for sharing.

I have made some searching on this fairing, and it appears to be a Powerbronze Voyager

It is difficult to find online information for this fairing. There is a post (in French) with some information here
http://moto-gt.fr/dossier/232/carenage-integral-powerbronze-NTV.html
And here is its Google traduction:
https://goo.gl/HQ6GF2
Close but no sigar, it is an older NTV model from a Dutch company called Schurgers that does a lot of fairing work, here it is on a NTV:

Apologies, I haven't read this entire thread; perhaps this has been addressed: have you any idea how much this might reduce drag, hence increase mileage? Am hoping, when finished, you will post enough info for others to build.

Anyway, I'm fantastically impressed! I really think Zero should spend a year or two working on aerodynamics. At this point performance is superb and range is impressive (SR). If they could improve range by more than 25%  just by offering a fairing such as you've designed .. that would be a HUGE win for the company.

My data point for aerodynamics is my 2004  Aprilia 500cc scooter. Boring acceleration ... but I get 60mpg at fast highway speeds. 'Course, now that I have a zero, I don't ride it much ...
I don't dare guestimating how it will turn out in percentages/km. The front has a more aerodynamic shape now but it also has gained some extra surface area. There are some slots in the side that should provide some laminar air on the side and of course the fender is less ridiculous.

I'm guessing a small improvement is possible, but even if the range would remain the same, it now offers a lot more comfort on the motorway. Don't worry I'll try to document as much as possible.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2017, 01:43:24 AM »

Close but no sigar, it is an older NTV model from a Dutch company called Schurgers that does a lot of fairing work, here it is on a NTV:

Since HawkGT sized fairings fit so well... I wonder if we should all look into using the fairings they put on Hawk GTs for racing...

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2017, 02:07:03 AM »

Let me just add my voice to the chorus...fantastic work, Erasmo! This bike needs a good fairing more than any other motorcycle does. It looks like the factory did it, except it's a little too good-looking. Give me a good retro motorcycle look any day.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2017, 06:38:04 AM »

Close but no sigar, it is an older NTV model from a Dutch company called Schurgers that does a lot of fairing work
OK. Thank you Erasmo for correcting my error
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2017, 02:45:57 AM »

Let me just add my voice to the chorus...fantastic work, Erasmo! This bike needs a good fairing more than any other motorcycle does. It looks like the factory did it, except it's a little too good-looking. Give me a good retro motorcycle look any day.
Thank you but apart from finding the right parts most of the honour goes to my panelbeater. He has over 30 years of experience with fairings so instead of fumbling around myself I've outsourced the actual work to him ;) Can't wait until it is finished and painted, I'm going for a two tone orange-black to match the current lines on the bike.

Since HawkGT sized fairings fit so well... I wonder if we should all look into using the fairings they put on Hawk GTs for racing...
Depends on your goal with them, there are plenty race fairings for small bikes already. And while the size will work this build also needs some custom struts to keep it together.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10