Makes And Models > Zero Motorcycles Forum | 2012 and older

Zero DS battery replacement

(1/9) > >>

stanelie:
Well,
Trying to replace the dead battery in my DS with 7 Nissan Leaf modules, as Doctorbass suggested, it will not work.

The original battery is not configured as 7s2p, it is something else. There are twice the number of wires going to the BMS. There are several sensing wires in the lower section (see attached picture)
The Leaf battery fits physically inside the battery box, but without the BMS wired, it will not work. Also, there are hints that the BMS talks using canbus to the main motorcycle controller. Without the OK from the BMS, I doubt the motorcycle controller will let it start.

Thoughts?

TEV:
Did that years ago, on a 2010 Zero S.

You have to use the middle contact of the Nissan Leaf cell, because there are two cells groups in series in the module (measure the voltage, you should have half of the module voltage on the middle post). Make sure that you identify correctly the BMS wires from the original battery ( kind of hard to do it if the battery is completely dead and you can't measure voltages) because you will burn the BMS otherwise.

Good luck.

Tom

stanelie:
Hi.
I've found this great howto https://medium.com/@ryan.mcneely_93025/restoring-a-second-2010-zero-s-5b93c4f07b2c from @RyanMcNeely for the Zero S 2010, and for this specific model, the Leaf batteries are indeed a drop in replacement.

However, the DS 2011 battery looks different. There are two sections, a top section and a bottom section, and it looks like they both make one big cell, folded.

This can be infered by the way the top and bottom section are connected together.

On the top section, the connections the BMS and motor controller look almost like those from the 2010 S, most of the BMS wire colors match with Ryan's diagram.

However, there are also BMS wires attached to the other end of the cells, under the main connection section.

How do I connect those wires? Will the motorcycle even turn on with these wires disconnected?

stanelie:
So, answering my own question :

It turns out the battery is indeed folded on 2 levels, and the mid-cell BMS connection is also parrallelised. The cable is split in Y at the end with all the connections, and goes to the top level mid-cell and the lower level mid-cell.

The answered was in the following post where a user made a wiring diagram of the DS battery :
https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7373.msg63903#msg63903 (batt_pack.pdf)
Thanks @igorbaldo !

Alan. Yes THAT Alan:
Stanelie,
  I've been reading your recent posts. Thanks for the updates and lots of photos. I'm having trouble with my 2011 S (same guts as your DS, but slightly different suspension and tires).
How did you know the batteries are bad in your DS and that the problem wasn't in the controller, the charger, or something else?
How did you get the batteries out of the motorcycle? To me it looks like Zero started with a big battery box and then built a motorcycle around it. I can't tell how the battery comes out of the frame.
Where did you get the Leaf batteries and how do you know they're any good?

I'm not sure if my Zero's problem lies in the batteries or elsewhere, but if I end up having to replace the batteries, I don't want a direct replacement (same voltage and kw/h). Why didn't you replace your old batteries with more voltage and a much higher kw/h? so that you can ride faster and have a better range?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version