• May 06, 2024, 04:04:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger  (Read 29482 times)

nevetsyad

• View Profile
Re: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2017, 12:03:30 AM »

I believe the EVSE limits the power to the charger(s), so it doesn't blow it's breaker.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2017, 12:07:25 AM »

I believe the EVSE limits the power to the charger(s), so it doesn't blow it's breaker.

A EVSE is a glorified power switch. It just sends a pilot signal to tell the EV what the limit should be. If the EV draws over the limit, the EVSE just opens the breaker switch and "unplugs" it. It doesnt "limit" power like a power supply does.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2017, 12:11:19 AM »

Good question then. If you're charging at 6.6kW and decide to plug in the onboard, going over the EVSEs, lets say, ~7kW limit, does it shut down? Does the DigiNow reduce power based on what the EVSE told it it had available?

Similarly, if I hook up the onboard to it, then plug it all in to one J-plug, will it balance the power better? Or will the EVSE just refuse to deliver 7.9kW to it?
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2017, 04:51:31 AM »

Good question then. If you're charging at 6.6kW and decide to plug in the onboard, going over the EVSEs, lets say, ~7kW limit, does it shut down? Does the DigiNow reduce power based on what the EVSE told it it had available?

Similarly, if I hook up the onboard to it, then plug it all in to one J-plug, will it balance the power better? Or will the EVSE just refuse to deliver 7.9kW to it?

I like DigiNow's new information for sure but yes they should speak to this. V1 development spent a lot of cycles trying to strike a balance because of poor J signal implementations.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2017, 03:55:51 AM »

Booked my tickets to come pick it up ;D

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2017, 05:59:35 AM »

The notes on the 7.9 suggest the use of a second Jplug for the onboard. I will update on more when the 6.6 upgrades are available.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2017, 06:02:57 AM »

But, will the 7.9 trip the 7kW EVSE if plugged into only one J plug? Or, will it slow to whatever the EVSE is capable for providing.

I'm going to try to charge with my 110v 12amp J plug from my car when I get back from work tomorrow to see if it will drop down to ~1300 watts (with onboard unplugged) and bike keyed on.
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2017, 06:42:20 AM »

6.6 comes from the charger and 1.3 from your onboard. If you run the onboard from the same jplug as the units and the station can not handle that much power it may trip the breaker or current fault.

So the recomendation is to use a second JPlug for your onboard charger so you can get a full 7.9 kW charging. In the US most stations will trip if you pull more than 6.6 so we recommend using 1 Jplug for the SC and a 2nd JPlug for the onboard.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2017, 06:55:13 AM »

Gotcha. So, from the standard ChargePoint units, just do the SC and no onboard, or get the second J plug going like you're saying. Just curious about what would happen. I see myself popping lots of random chargers later this year as I push the limits. Lots of single J plug locations out here in VA.
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »

we have 15 units in stock and are testing mounting and cooling now.

the higger power chargers require liquid cooling. if that isnt ready by the time i am back from japan we will start shipping smaller charges which can upgrade to higher power by bolting in more units.

so far we have everything working and stable but since the mounting is different we are testing a lot. were also testing different pumps for the system.

the system is fully modular and should be able to fit 19.8 kw on the bike. its fully isolated so the modularity allows the use of multiple jplugs.

our intent is to roll out upgradeable chargers from 3.3 kw all the way uoto 26 once the zero firmware is updated to allow faster charging than 1C.

the reason we would roll out smaller units to start is so you can start charging faster now and upgrade as we are ready.

i am back on the 12th i hope to get some more zeros over here in japan soon.

Are the two-module 6.6 kW units still air-cooled? Do both modules fit into the storage tank location? For users that have installed the 3.3 kW system, they would presumably just be shipped an additional module, updated firmware for the control board, and any extra cables / cooling bits required?

For higher-power units - 19.8 kW being presumably 3 groups of 2 modules - the idea is at that these modules would be wired up to separate 30A J1772 plugs? Kind of like Terry's charger array on his 2012 bike, but about a third the weight!

It'd be interesting to see what a 2017 Last Vetter Fairing + high power charger bike would look like, compared to the 2012 iteration.

Terry's bike on his Iron Butt challenge had 7 ZF3 battery modules and 8 Elcon PFC2500 chargers, for a total of 18.4 kWh onboard and 20 kW from 4 J1772 plugs. That's approximately 240 pounds additional batteries and 150 pounds of extra chargers, on top of the 340 pound bike = 730 pounds, before the fairings.

A 2017 ZF13 SR + Power Tank (14.3 kWh total) weighs in at 458 pounds, and 19.6 kW from 6 HK-J charging modules adds an additional 52 pounds = 510 pounds in total.

Even better, the 2017 iteration has more power, a stronger frame, and can fully utilize a 30A J1772 ESVE: only 3 required for the 19.6 kW charge rate, and a fourth could be attached to the onboard charger for 21 kW. Of course that's a 1.5C charge rate to the battery, which it might not like..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:47:01 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »

I suddenly get the appeal of the Tesla or 15-50 adapters.
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »

I suddenly get the appeal of the Tesla or 15-50 adapters.

I couldn't agree more. A 14-50 outlet, you plug into it, draw 50 amps or less, and you're good. Protect your own equipment as you wish; the fuse/circuit breaker will protect the outlet.

If you want a little bit more intelligence behind the hookup, which seems like a good idea at high power levels, the Tesla standard is the only one on the market that offers plenty of flexibility, lots of power, and is a single, consistently-implemented protocol. I've posted it too many times already, but I think it's a very important point:  https://xkcd.com/927/
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2017, 09:17:48 AM »

We have both air and liquid cooling options. It depends on your setup which you should get. I like the liquid cooling myself, but air is a simpler install.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »

Is air adequate for 6.6kW, in tank installs? I should stop bothering you with questions and let you do your engineeering stuff. :) Very excited for the upgrade. Thank you for your time again, amazing work!
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2017, 09:32:13 AM »

Air should be adequate for most people. If you live somewhere with very high ambient temperatures in the summer you can always buy the liquid cooling kit later. For racing in the desert I'll need that, but I don't think most people will. If you are installing in a closed top case, liquid cooling is definitely needed.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21