• May 06, 2024, 05:35:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First wash - update  (Read 1099 times)

Too little too late

• View Profile
Re: First wash - update
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 09:50:55 AM »

Thank you Brian for direction, now I know where to begin. And thank you to others for words of caution, now I may fix this awesome machine without becoming a path to ground. First step, remove the high voltage fuses. Second, extract the controller and look inside. Disconnecting that controller should free up the rear wheel, I'll let you know.

Too little too late

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 08:54:00 PM »

Never found the high voltage fuses. I checked the leads going to the controller and there was no voltage there, so I proceeded to remove it. When I removed the leads going to the motor, the rear wheel was then able to move without resistance, so the controller output is apparently shorted. I'm not sure where the contactor is, or why there is no power to anything, but I'm learning more about this bike all the time. I have no choice. The alternative is to take it to a repair place where they will charge me an arm and a leg, and I still won't get it back for months. In either case I won't be riding the Zero for quite some time. I haven't checked any fuses yet, but I'll be looking for those high voltage fuses as I continue taking this bike apart.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 12:05:20 AM »

It sounds like you don't have a choice. If the controller is defective, you'll need a new one shipped to a zero dealer, and you'll need their tools to program the controller and synchronize the motor. That totally sucks :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 03:11:05 AM »

The contactor is inside the "doghouse" area of the monolith, the block at the top rear of the case. The HV fuses are on the left side of that doghouse. Do not open the doghouse without a fully-electrically-safe workspace set up, because there is live voltage in there at all times from the battery pack.

Definitely insulate those leads properly as you disconnect them to avoid any severe faults if you forget while trying to test by powering up the bike. Really, just don't power up the bike, but cover the leads anyway.

It sounds like you have definitely narrowed the problem to the controller. Unfortunately, only dealer tools can properly configure a replacement Sevcon controller for a 2017+ model year Zero.

I'll emphasize that any further teardown you undergo will not endear you with your dealer or Zero, especially if you don't conduct it properly. This is warranty-voiding activity, really, and potentially fire-starting, equipment-vaporizing, and maybe injurious or lethal outcomes.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:14:05 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2]