• May 17, 2024, 04:44:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: water/weather resistance?....reliability?  (Read 1493 times)

ctcomputers

• View Profile
water/weather resistance?....reliability?
« on: September 24, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »

Looking to officially join the club and purchase the KTM E-XC as soon as I can locate one.  Would like to know if it's a fair weather only bike.  I have not been able to find anything specific to riding the bike through creek crossings, in the rain...etc.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:37:05 AM by ctcomputers »

ctcomputers

• View Profile
Re: water/weather resistance?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 07:56:21 AM »

I think I've answered my own question reading that the bike "should" be submersible but not recommended.

Similarly I'm curious if anyone can report on the long term reliability.  My understanding is this same model has been available in Europe for at least a couple years.  I have not yet ran across anything as far as major mechanical reports and/or replacement drive-train parts availability.  Can the motor components be rebuilt or replaced if damaged or worn as opposed to being disposable?  My hope is the platform will continue to evolve with future battery upgrades and/or a possible aftermarket parts following.  Certainly interested in hearing from anyone that might have additional information or insight.

Olav

• Custom Title
    • View Profile
Re: water/weather resistance?....reliability?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »

I think this says it all...

*moderator edit* added width to img tag
Thanks mod!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:03:14 PM by Olav »
KTM E-XC Freeride

ctcomputers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »

Do you think the Freeride E platform, specifically the battery technology will continue to evolve?  Would it be wishful thinking to think that as battery technology improves KTM would improve the existing modular battery making the platform "upgradable"?  Has this happened in Europe where the model has been available longer? 

KTM could demonstrate commitment to the platform following something similar to Ryobi where the same battery pack is not only interchangeable across models (is it currently?) but improves over time with developments in battery chemistry.  This would significantly prolong the platform as to creating something disposable.  Perhaps this even creates an aftermarket following for chargers and batteries alike.  Weight, riding range, charging time, and price would all be competitive variables to improve in the foreseeable future.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »

Hello,

is  ctcomputers near to Stafford Springs?  I am guessing Ct means Connecticut.  Did you manage to find an electric freeride?

As to the question in post 1.  A riding on dry guroud is the safest and easiest on a whole lot of components of the bike.  I did add a disc guard and the way the front wheel bearings seal is quite well thought out.  The battery can be removed which I have no real intention of doing but you get a few spare o rings perhaps wrist sized.  I am guessing the computer control module is up just behind the top shock mount.  No air filter, no carb vent tubes, no exhaust pipe.

I am  not all that excited about the platform, there is no way to attach anything I can see unless it is to the triple clamp in the front.  Of the choices available this one best fit my priorities.  I think it is probably as close to a battery drill or battery chainsaw as one will ever find.   The narrowness, lack of pedals, control ability of the amount of thrust, the lack of heat or noise at idle can certainly make for some quality time on a motorcycle.  I expect more cell chemistrys will be available in the future, perhaps whatever cells are in this can be made better or longer lasting.  I am not sure how much battery technology actually is besides the cells themselves.
Pages: [1]