• May 09, 2024, 06:31:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Performance tuning a Zero SR  (Read 11423 times)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Performance tuning a Zero SR
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 06:33:59 AM »

I suppose, given who the maker is, its "technically" a Zero... ;)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 07:47:23 AM »

Do you mean Death bike 7.0?
The owner is liveforphysics, in the endless-sphere forum

But that is, supposedly, a bicycle, not a motorcycle

;D supposedly, a bicycle.......   LOL

Ya he's got a pretty mean 1/4 mile time if I dragged my bike that is the number I would chase; I would have to use high speed gearing, (I beleive) because I need more top end
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Nuts n Volts

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 05:54:32 AM »

dgh,

have you experimented at all with change the speed (RPM) values for a give torque to find where the limits might lie?  Just curious.

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 06:22:36 AM »

I haven't changed the rpm per se but experimented with different torque levels for each rpm level. Don't see a problem with trying different rpm points but I suspect the Zero engineers know the approx max rpm at which you can run full torque without cutouts so be mindful of pushing the 180Nm torque higher

As noted earlier in this thread you can push up the torque at higher rpm to a degree but if you push too far the motor will cut out momentarily which is not fun when you've got the bike leaned over coming out of a corner.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:24:50 AM by dgh853 »
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 06:59:42 AM »

I haven't changed the rpm per se but experimented with different torque levels for each rpm level. Don't see a problem with trying different rpm points but I suspect the Zero engineers know the approx max rpm at which you can run full torque without cutouts so be mindful of pushing the 180Nm torque higher

As noted earlier in this thread you can push up the torque at higher rpm to a degree but if you push too far the motor will cut out momentarily which is not fun when you've got the bike leaned over coming out of a corner.

I ahve experienced these cut out on my modified 2012 that use the 2013 75-7 motor... i have played with many parameters in the DVT but i forgot to reconsider the torque curve i have set ... lol.. this could be the reason of the cut out .. lol

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Nuts n Volts

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 06:52:34 PM »

Cool, yea I currently have your most up to date settings on the torque values.  But looking at the curve for torque it seems as if it should be smoother.  If I play with the settings I will update this thread.  My test would be on the streets, so less likely to be leaned full over. 

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 12:03:14 AM »

Keen to see how it goes for you. I took the bike out to Sydney Motorsport Park yesterday with no cutouts at those torque settings. If you're pushing the bike harder you'll definitely need to consider motor cooling options with the higher torque settings.
2013 Nissan Leaf

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 03:31:52 PM »

This is electrical power, not actual power

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 08:48:32 AM »

dgh853,  I have noticed that the cutout seem to stop on my 2012 S 75-7 when motor is hot or after my battery is lower voltage, maybe reaching 50% or less SOC...
I guess that the torqure at high rpm that might be set too high on my setting can cause less cut out due to the lower power my battery have at lower SOC ( lower voltage but same amp limiting) = lower power..

Do you think it make sense?

Doc

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 09:05:22 AM »

Very interesting observation Doc.

Cutouts do seem more prevalent on a cooler motor and with a higher battery voltage. I have had cutouts on the first lap of a track day but then go through the rest of the day with no cutouts. I can understand less cutouts at lower voltage but I can't see how motor temperature could make a difference.

David
2013 Nissan Leaf

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »

David, The motor winding when it is hot will have higher resistance meaning it might draw less current from the controller when it is not in current limiting mode at higher rpm ;)

I definitively need to correct mt torque vs speed map!.. but i have to buy  a IXXAT as my local Zero dealer is at 2 hours run every time i need it...

There is a not really honnest person selling one for 600$ on ebay !! damn it! this thing when it was availlable brand new was priced 400$ !... lol

Doc

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2015, 12:59:55 AM »

I just picked up a IXXAT but it has not arrived yet.  Maybe sometime down the road a bit I can loan it out. ;)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 03:10:58 AM »

If you are thinking about "performance tuning" your EV, you might want to check out this story: 

https://rideapart.com/articles/will-u-s-copyright-office-decision-short-circuit-altering-bikes-software
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »

modifying your software is no different than modifying your ICE bike or car.  If Suzuki tried to sue someone for modifying one of their bikes they would be laughed out of the court house.  I didn't sign any wavers, NDA's, or agreements that I would not mod my bike.  The only thing that was in the manual from the manufacture was that non approved mods could void the warranty.  Good luck with that issue.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »

They are arguing that its a violation of the DMCA, which is just ludicrous, but then a lot of stupidity had been justified using that act...
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6