• May 19, 2024, 07:45:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 3238 times)

most

• View Profile
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 08:53:25 PM »

Guys, let me repeat my warning: If you have the carbon cover the ECU (not sure if it is „THE“ VCU or a secondary ecu) will give you two identical sockets. There is a chance that you unintentionally grill your CANbus with 12V when using the wrong one. Just be careful!!
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 09:02:34 PM »

Guys, let me repeat my warning: If you have the carbon cover the ECU (not sure if it is „THE“ VCU or a secondary ecu) will give you two identical sockets. There is a chance that you unintentionally grill your CANbus with 12V when using the wrong one. Just be careful!!

Any pics of the correct vs incorrect sockets?

most

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2023, 10:14:22 PM »

I‘m afraid no. Would have posted them. Just learned about it from my dealer.
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2023, 10:28:56 PM »

wonder if you order heated grips they come with instructions?

joesedroid

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 12:48:31 AM »

I may be interested in installing them myself. I do not have a carbon cover and do have the led light in the "tank area" I did see a pretty good video on Youtube of someone installing them fairly recently.
Joe

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 03:02:41 AM »

Here is youtube, looks like it comes with instructions and if your menu works you won't need dealer. Mine are on order, hope it don't take as long as bike did to receive.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2023, 01:26:36 PM »

Strange, because on my Ribelle, the heated hand grips on high you can barely touch them, they are HOT.  I thought that was so you can feel them thru riding gloves or something, but now hearing that everyone else says theirs are real cool, I am wondering.

Aaron

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 01:56:03 PM »

Strange, because on my Ribelle, the heated hand grips on high you can barely touch them, they are HOT.  I thought that was so you can feel them thru riding gloves or something, but now hearing that everyone else says theirs are real cool, I am wondering.

Aaron
Is it extra cold there?  I wonder if they are designed like some other heated stuff, where they regulate the temp using PWM. That means if it's already warm, they will not work at all. But they work great when very cold. The warmer it is, the less they seem to work. But always heats to the same temp regardless of ambient temperature.  That makes them feel hot when it is very cold and seem not to be working so well when warmer.

-Don-  Salton Sea SRA, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 02:45:58 PM »

DonTom, I don't think they work like that. I have ridden in temps down to low 20's F and they have never gotten any warmer than they get at warmer temps. I use heated gloves when it gets cold as the heated grips just don't put out enough heat. I have never used any setting other than high because I don't think you would even know they are on at the low or medium setting. I guess it doesn't get very cold in Italy so they never saw a need to have them get warmer.

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 08:00:22 PM »

How much affect will heated grips have on range?

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2023, 08:08:38 PM »

Imperceptible.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2023, 08:30:52 PM »

Well, after this latest update, it might cost you a few hundred km   8)

Aaron

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2023, 06:34:33 AM »

Received heated grip kit from AF1 ,  installed,  everything works perfect, no dealer required.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2023, 10:24:46 AM »

Let's dot the math. The heated grips draw about 5 amps at the most, on the highest setting. That is 63 watts, (12.6V times 5 amps=63 watts)which is quite hot. I doubt if the heated grips are even near that, but we will take the worse case.

If you have the ~20KWh (usable) battery, that is 20,000 watts divided by 63 watts. You're good for 317.6 hours before a fully charged battery will discharge from the heated grips if NOT riding the bike. Won't make much difference when riding. But the biggest difference will be when riding VERY slowly as then they are on longer for the same distance. But IAC, it will reduce your range by around two feet or so. Unlikely you will notice the difference.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2023, 04:08:44 AM »

From my observations, the moment you stop the bike, or take it out of 'ride mode'  ie press stop button OR set off tipover trigger, OR click the kickstand down, the heaters de-energize.  It won't turn them on unless the bike is actually in a mode for you to turn the throttle and GO.  I would not worry too much about  running down the battery if it was accidentally left on and you are not there.

ON the heated grips.  I went for a ride the other day. it was 40 degrees out. (40F for you non yanks).  Decided, oh I don't need my gloves, I got heated grips, lets try them out.  Lemme tell you, even with the heated grips, doing 60 mph or better. yah the bottom of your hands may feel cozy but you are freezing the tops of your hands off !!  So how 'useful' are they really?

Maybe if I wear gloves?

But ok then,  can you feel them thru your gloves, and are they really 'useful' as in a REAL benefit thru some good gloves then?  Wont the gloves keep your hands warm w/o the heater.  Besides protection from injury, ARE gloves a tool for warmth?  What I am getting at I guess is.

is this something that is really great, or just another bragging right.  Oh hey LOOK !  I got heated pads, I got cruise control neener neener thing?

Aaron
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4