• May 07, 2024, 05:27:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Comparable ICE bikes for accessories...  (Read 1187 times)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Comparable ICE bikes for accessories...
« on: April 19, 2023, 03:10:28 AM »

This is kind of an open letter to Demoni but maybe others might know.

What ICE bikes are comparable to our various Energica models when it comes to accessories?

I was checking out the Rizoma Stealth Naked Winglet Mirrors for my Ribelle but they require a bike specific adapter. It got me wondering if there's any specific "mainstream" ICE bike I could use as a general compatible bike for accessories like mirrors, lights, wheels, etc.

Maybe if there were a chart of some kind like:

Ribelle controls = Ducati Monster
Ribelle wheels = Aprillia Tuono
Ribelle frame = Ducati Monster

etc...

Probably wishful thinking but until the day comes that our bikes are considered "mainstream" I think we'll always be challeged to find aftermarket parts that require bike specific adapters and such.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

jotjotde

• View Profile
Re: Comparable ICE bikes for accessories...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 12:28:56 PM »

Hi! Glad to hear that I am not the only one wondering  :D

From what I see, Energica get a lot of stuff from established automotive suppliers (in the end there are not so many anymore) but apparently are keen on not to use an exact copy of a known design. In the end they stick to what I would call an 'Italian' motorcycle design which I like very much. So the usual suspects 8) are Ducati & Aprilia.

What I found out so far:

Mirrors: The Energica mirrors are quite sophisticated with their streamlined stems. I have not found others yet that I like better.
I remember having seen quite similar looking ones on a used-part website which were for an older Ducati Monster.
As you pointed out, a bit of a problem is the mounting - the Energica mirrors have a M10 thread (normal thread), the thread for the bar/brake mount is M8 and right-wise thread for right and left-wise for left (at least that is what I remember) which appears quite unusual to me. OEM mirrors often have M8 on the mirror and M10 for the bar mount.
I have found M8R/M8R but not M8R/M8L yet.

Mirror mounts: Has anyone besides me noticed that the colors of the 'front' part of the mirror mount (LH) and brake/mirror mount (RG) do not match? When I first saw that I thougt this to be an manufacturing error or a mess-up by the dealer's workshop. But apparently Brembo does not offer this.
There are (nice but pricey) colored substitutes available by OEMs but there seem to be two different bolt patterns of Brembo stuff and I still have to see if the substitutes I found are really matching.

Indicators: As already posted in my separate thread, the design is a near 1:1 copy of older Triumphs. The mount is also the same as for Triumph and BMW. Be aware that US has 10W indicators, EU has 1,9W. Switching to LED is easier for US as you can simply install resistors if the wattage of the LED is too low.
Connectors are from Molex which apparently are subsupplier for a large number of car&moto manufacturers.
The same connectors you find on (some?) Aprilia and MV Agusta motorcycles, in case you are looking for ready-made adaptors.

Frame: Frame of Ribelle, Ego and SS9 looks like an older Ducati Monster design to me. There are frame plugs available for the two lower openings I think, they are the same as for Yamaha Tenere - refer to R&G parts. BTW, R&G offers (to my knowledge) by far the most accessories for Energicas at least in Europe.
For example they have a protector grille for the heat exchanger of Ribelle and SS9, which I can recommend.

Sliders/Frame protectors: Currently I have non-specific cheap Chinese ones which do not require sawing or drilling to make them fit. I you look for better ones, I found that most probably sliders for the Ducati Multistrada will fit.

Left hand controls: I have seen the same on another bike some time ago but can't remember if it was a Yamaha or Ducati.
The space between LHC and mirror mount is wide enough to allow installation of additional switches e.g. for relocated cruise control buttons.
On the bottom side of the LHC there are 'racks' which allow mounting of stuff. There is a design for a 3D-printed switch housing available to put there.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5526533/files

Right hand controls: Appear very Energica-specific to me.

Edit: Brake levers: The original Brembo are neither ergonomic nor looking good to me. I replaced it with a nice red one by Probrake (German manufacturer). But because it's Brembo stuff you should find alternatives everywhere.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 11:43:58 AM by jotjotde »

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 06:07:33 PM »

Thanks for the effort you’ve put in trying to figure this stuff out. It does help a lot. My gut tells me it’s going to be a lot of best guesses as well as trial and error when it comes to fitting 3rd party accessories to our bikes.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 01:44:58 AM »

Left hand controls: I have seen the same on another bike some time ago but can't remember if it was a Yamaha or Ducati.

The left hand controls on the Experia...(and I assume all other Energicas), are very close to Aprilia...I have a workmate with a 2017 V4 Tuono and the left bar controls are near identical to mine.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 11:36:05 AM »

The left hand controls on the Experia...(and I assume all other Energicas), are very close to Aprilia...I have a workmate with a 2017 V4 Tuono and the left bar controls are near identical to mine.

Smithy.
Reading this I now remember: The LH control of the Zero SR/F is exactly the same.

BTW I edited my post above regarding brake levers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 11:40:43 AM by jotjotde »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 06:58:59 AM »

Glad to see this list forming.
I am in need of a right hand brake lever and rear brake actuator myself.  Seeing there is other stuff out that looks nice is good to see.

I'll have to shop around a bit and see what I might be able to find elsewhere as well.

Aaron

most

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 11:01:52 AM »

According to the Facebook Energica Motorcycle Owners Group, the hand brake lever is identical to Triumph Speed Triple 969.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 10:43:53 AM by most »
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 06:36:23 PM »

Thank you for that Most. I am going to look into that.

The rear brake actuator TBH, in my opinion is a bit long and gets in the way.  Id like one about half the length, it does not get in the way of you resting your big clod hopper ass foot like I have, yet is enough room sticking out that if you need it, a quick twist of your boot and you can easily engage it.

If I can't find one, I am thinking of getting my buddy to help me machine one on the CNC to put on.  Maybe some knurling on T6  or something, blue it and glue it :)   Id probably use a softer aluminum bolt to put it on so it's a shear point if the  bike goes over, let it take the damage and snap there instead off twisting up and tearing up that whole assembly.

I hate to say this but... i think everyone should have a bike tip once on each side, to show them the weak spots, and learn what they can do to minimize the damage overall, or direct it to replaceable parts instead of fairings / motors / and stuff that gets stupid expensive to replace.

Aaron

most

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 10:44:42 AM »

Just to avoid confusion - the hand brake lever ;). Just corrected my previous post.
Consumption:

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 05:36:46 PM »

most

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 06:16:03 PM »

While we‘re talking…
…does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative Experia handlebar? The XP uses the SS9 handlebar - I‘d love the way it is cranked but would appreciate 50-100mm increased total width.
Consumption:

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 12:29:47 AM »

for 2023/2024 Experia. Steering Head bearings are equal to BMW Part# 31427663941, for F800GS and similar. 28x52x16 tapered roller bearings.

I used a 2014 F800GS Adventure when searching in parts finders and application selectors.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube
Pages: [1]