• May 07, 2024, 10:57:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: FW version 43  (Read 2653 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
FW version 43
« on: December 17, 2023, 11:45:20 AM »

I asked about the FW Version 43 at the shop in Roseville, CA.  I have not had a chance to get my Experia there for the update, but I will ASAP, weather at the 7,240' summit permitting.

I mainly asked about my 2020 SS9- as it is already in Auburn, CA and I rode it down there to the shop yesterday. My Experia is here in Reno.

I wanted to know if this new FW was compatible with my 2020 Esse Esse 9-.

They said they must ask Energica and get back to me.

Here is what I received via Email:

" after asking Energica, for the VIN you provided the most recent firmware that has been tested is v.42, not v.43. It is unknown if that software would work on that bike. If you wanted to take the gamble, the cost would be $131.25. "

So it looks like not even Energica knows what bikes their own FW will work with.

But what is the V.43? I know it allows better CCS charging (especially with Magic Dock) and has a few bug fixes (that my Experia really needs, and I assume the same goes for all the others with the older FW). But is this V.43 a patch or an entire new FW?  If it's an entire new FW, I don't see how it could work on my 2020 Esse Esse 9-. Totally different menus and all.

So what improvements have Experia owners noticed with V43?  And has anybody here used it on any bike other than an Experia?

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
Re: FW version 43
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 08:46:14 PM »

They know what bike it will work with, they wrote it FOR those bikes.
They didn't test it on your special bike because it was not written for your bike.

Gee, will this Corvette update work on my old Camaro?   We don't know, we didn't write it for your Camaro, it was specifically written to address the current Corvette's issues.

Oh they don't know what they are doing!!   ::)

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 12:27:42 PM »

When I was at my dealer's shop end of September for the 30k service they offered me the FW43 update for my Ribelle which I declined. After the FW42 debacle I refuse to be a test dummy.

The bike has enough bugs as it is  ::) ::) ::)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 02:12:12 PM »

The bike has enough bugs as it is  ::) ::) ::)

I cannot think of any bugs in my 2020 Esse Esse 9 so it's probably best to leave it as is.

OTOH, the Experia is full of bugs and I am hoping V. 43 will fix most or all of those bugs.

But I know what you mean. If it works well enough, no need to fix it, which could even give more serious bugs.

Sometimes FW updates just trade new bugs for old bugs.

But my Experia has enough bugs to make it worth the gamble.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 02:44:18 PM »

jojo, when I had my bike in, they updated it.  I asked them not to but the shop here in Florida are idiots so they did it anyways.  Probably got paid to do it which is why they did it :(

To me, it does not seem to be as zippy as it was before they molested it, then again, it IS cooler out so that might play part of it too.  Otherwise I don't see any reason to get the update if you do not have an Experia.  The charging stuff was tweaked a bit, and I see it now asks you to confirm that you want to interrupt or end a charge before just doing it when you push the button.  It also address' some issues with the handshake problems some fast chargers had, although TBH I never seen any of those issues in it to begin with.  Some of you were, so hopefully this fixes that for you.

Even with that, it still does NOT automatically release the plug when the charge is complete, you have to cycle bike power to get the little lock to go down.  This needs to be fixed IMO.  Some people are going to charge publicly and NOT be sitting right there babysitting the charge, this way, and it does happen, someone else waiting to charge, sees 'charge complete' can remove it from your bike and put it in their car without potentially causing damage to your lock mechanism when they do so.  We can use another topic to discuss the ethics / courtesy of doing that, but we all know it happens a lot with these impatient clowns running around today.

The Keyfob not in range thing is still a nuisance that exists, though not as often as it originally was.  TBH I don't think they will engineer this out just because of the nature of the beast, and the incredibly low wattage the fob puts out, it's just ripe for a mosquito fart to interrupt it.  Changing the frequency it broadcast at would fix it but that's a MAJOR undertaking there, a ton of legal and red tape to walk thru, not worth it.

If your stuff is running fine, Id not bother with the update if you do not own the Experia, there is not much needable stuff in it for the other style bikes.

Now if they offered us an upgrade to the 150 mph top end the EGO has for our Ribelle's, even if we had to pay for it, id gladly buy that update!

Aaron

svelectric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 10:01:32 PM »

I'll probably forget something, but the 43 update for the experia is worthwhile.  No new bugs.  From memory (check facebook and the other threads for additional updates).

1. There's a screen now where it actually shows the firmware version.
2. You can now adjust the heated grips on the fly, relatively easily.
3. Fixed a bug where you could open the "frunk" while charging, now it has to be keyed on to open, which makes sense.
4. Charging improvements, Seems to work fine for me.
5. There was a funny visual bug where it would look weird if you were adjusting the cruise while on the consumption screen, that looks better.
6. I'm sure there's something else... 

:)

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 10:57:35 PM »

v.43 is compatible with all bikes. I don't know why A&S is confused.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 11:14:17 PM »

v.43 is compatible with all bikes. I don't know why A&S is confused.
A&S didn't claim to know anything about it. So they contacted Energica and they didn't know if it would work with my 2020 SS9-.

What does the v43 FW do on the older bikes?  Anything other than improve charging compatibly and increase Magic Dock charge rate from 8 to 24 KW?

BTW, there are several CCS stations in Yuba City, CA.  NONE of them will work with Energicas. At least not with my Experia or my buddy's Rebelle. I wonder if the V43 will change that.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 11:38:09 PM »

The major things for v.43 non-Experia are the aforementioned Tesla compatibility and the increased timeout on the CCS handshake. This won't really affect anything for experienced riders, but it will help the new owners trying to use DC stations. It was often a point of contention that the bike timed out too soon to be able to start a charge sequence with an app or tapping a card for payment, so they finally addressed that yaaay.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 12:07:30 AM »

The major things for v.43 non-Experia are the aforementioned Tesla compatibility and the increased timeout on the CCS handshake. This won't really affect anything for experienced riders, but it will help the new owners trying to use DC stations. It was often a point of contention that the bike timed out too soon to be able to start a charge sequence with an app or tapping a card for payment, so they finally addressed that yaaay.
I find the short timeout to be an issue at some charge stations, but I can usually get them to work one way or the other. Nevertheless, it sounds like it will be an improvement on any Energica. The big hassle is having to disconnect and reconnect every time it times out.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 05:54:57 PM »

Don't forget, the timeout expire can also be initiated by the charger as well I believe, so Energica's ability to fix that might be a bit limited.  Ive noticed mine a few times when I didn't have everything right, the bike is waiting and the charger says NOPE !

Aaron

szczur333

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 05:33:40 PM »

Don't forget, the timeout expire can also be initiated by the charger as well I believe, so Energica's ability to fix that might be a bit limited.  Ive noticed mine a few times when I didn't have everything right, the bike is waiting and the charger says NOPE !

Aaron

in my country chargers from one biggest provider usually not work - i tested about 30 of them and 28 not work - other vehicles charges before me and even after me so I thought this is some king of uncompatibility

i was with 41 or 42 firmware (I get bike in may 2022), but its just back from energica and they said they updated it to 43 - I wondering if sth will change (ss9+ 2020)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 09:03:47 PM »

One thing I have noticed is that the bike is VERY sensitive to the cable being plugged in FULLY and TIGHTLY.   Those CCS cables are heavy.  Make sure it is absolutely flush and it clicks.  I hear two clicks on my bike and then I know the cable IS fully seated.  The charger face flexes a bit when I am trying to get the cable in snug so you may hear the metal pop when it flexes, but there is a definite click of the connector and the pin saying ok im in. 

If you are having problems getting the bike to start charging, sometimes it won't show anything, it'll just sit there doing nothing and annoy you, try wiggling the cable a bit, pressing down HARD to make sure it's seated fully and flush.

Also if you had a charge fail to start.  Turn the bike off and then back on, yes even with the cable still plugged in, THEN reinitialize the charge.  With a reboot and fresh look at it, often times, the problem you corrected is now out of memory and it will start right up.

I find that 43 may have corrected some problems but at least in the case of the Ribelle, put others in.  I may address them at a later date in another topic if I can get them to repeat, to make sure it wasn't just a one off thing I did.

In Energica's defense, we have to remember  BOTH the bike AND the charger can initiate a fault or a charge no-go or shut down.  If there was a problem, like a cable not fully seated or something minor that you corrected, and it still won't start, it could ALSO be the charger 'remembering' the fault and not clearing it's error state correctly as well.  The bike is saying im ready, the charger is saying, wait, not so fast, but they won't tell YOU which one is being the bitch.

I get it, these are some extremely high voltages at times,  yes 800 volts will kill your ass graveyard dead, but jeez, how hard is plug and play?

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 12:26:42 PM »

One thing I have noticed is that the bike is VERY sensitive to the cable being plugged in FULLY and TIGHTLY.   Those CCS cables are heavy.  Make sure it is absolutely flush and it clicks.  I hear two clicks on my bike and then I know the cable IS fully seated.  The charger face flexes a bit when I am trying to get the cable in snug so you may hear the metal pop when it flexes, but there is a definite click of the connector and the pin saying ok im in. 

Totally agree with Aaron! When the bike was new, I regularily had those connection problems.

The DC stations here often have the cable on a boom, so I try to park the bike in a way that the cable will hang down directly over the bike while charging. Or I park as near as possible to the charger that in the end the cable will not put too much side force on the connection.
I register with my charging card first, then connect the bike. I grab the plug in one hand and cable in the other to insert the plug without an angle into the connector, then pressing the plug into it, waiting until the pin comes up.
Can't remember if I ever failed with this strategy.

Regarding plug release after charge finishing:
At DC stations the plug is always released when charge is finished (remember, I still have the FW42.1).
But I have this issue when AC charging, ever since I got the bike. Energica agreed to have the onboard charger exchanged, but mainly because the LPR function wasn't available as well.
When the new charger was installed, everything worked well until after 6 weeks or so the plug wasn't released again (but LPR function is available).
Looks like a software thing to me. I am afraid these are the things one has to see as the quirky character of an Italian lady  8)

wadejesu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2024, 12:40:25 AM »

Has anyone ever received a notice from Energica stating that there was a new FW version available for their bike?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4