• May 07, 2024, 11:57:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Experia side stand not snappy  (Read 661 times)

most

• View Profile
Experia side stand not snappy
« on: January 15, 2024, 12:01:18 PM »

With my Experia, the side stand springs back reluctantly. Obviously this is due to a weak spring. Despite good lubrication and no dirt build-up, the friction in the bearing area is at a level that the spring almost lacks the power to make the kickstand spring up safely every time. At least there is no snappy acoustic feedback - anyone who has ever used the kickstand on a BMW or Honda/Yamaha/Kawa/Suzi will immediately understand what I mean. I miss that a lot.
And if you don‘t have that issue then my Experia obviously has a unique problem.

How do you deal with it? Do you leave it as it is, or have you already had experience with a different spring?
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Specter

• View Profile
Re: Experia side stand not snappy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 01:09:39 PM »

Have you talked to your dealer yet?  That'd  be the first step if you think there is a problem or that a part might need replacing under warranty.

A spring should not be hard at all to replace.

Aaron

most

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 06:43:50 PM »

Yes - seems standard. There are 4 other ExPees delivered where he realized the stand spring is weak. Look like no warranty.
Consumption:

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 01:24:31 AM »

My Experia side stand seems to work fine....I haven't noticed anything untoward with it. My BMW S1000XR side stand does indeed snap up.....but my Suzuki Boulevard M109R stand needs to be pushed all the way home....3 very different bikes with 3 very different side stands.

Smithy. 
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 10:52:48 AM »

Could be a bent mounting bracket or pivot bolt.

Have someone hold it up and work it back and forth by hand to see if its smooth without the spring.

most

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 11:04:19 AM »

Yes - works smooth. Torqued back to speck 40Nm. Even tried torquing only with 20Nm. No change.
Consumption:

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 04:09:12 PM »

The stand on my Rebelle does not exactly spring back with conviction either.  I need to push it in to fully upright position.

Have had this issue on other bikes.  Par for the course.

Must be some corrosion inside the pivot points causing drag.  It did snap up nicely when new.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 07:39:01 PM »

I kind of like having to give it a little push to make sure.  When I first got my bike, I was parking it and flipped the stand down and heard the twang!!  thinking the stand was down, nope it popped right back up, and the sound I heard was it parking home and not extended.  Thinking the kicker was down because I swung my foot down with it, I started to get off the bike, thankfully I parked right next to my truck and it was there for the bike to lean on otherwise id have dropped it for sure.  Lesson learned, ALWAYS LOOK DOWN to make sure it is down AND fully extended before parking bike.    If you drag it a bit or move it slightly it wants to pop right back up, not stay locked down.

Aaron

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 12:31:57 AM »

I'm not finding mine to lack the snappiness your talking about, but I sometimes think its too long. I often worry that it's not leaning far enough on the side stand to stay upright if bumped. I have caught it a few times and now have taken to parking it with the front tire to the curb. The crown on the road elevates the rear and makes it easier to get more lean. Having reverse makes getting it out of the parking spot do-able.

Last week I accidentally pushed it over while washing it :(. The stock frame sliders saved the bodywork but now I have a shortened brake lever and a cracked turn signal housing.

I'm wondering if there is a longer rear shock or shorter sidestand I find.

You know what would be the easiest solution though.....a centerstand. :|
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 12:50:22 PM »

You could cut out a piece of the sidestand stem and have it rewelded, it's made from normal steel. A friend of mine did that because she's quite the shorty and had to lower her Kawa.
Other bikes have their stands made from aluminium cast, then welding is not advisable.

If you don't like to cut your sidestand, there are adjustable stands on the market. See pic.

Motoproponent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 10:32:32 PM »

You could cut out a piece of the sidestand stem and have it rewelded, it's made from normal steel. A friend of mine did that because she's quite the shorty and had to lower her Kawa.
Other bikes have their stands made from aluminium cast, then welding is not advisable.

If you don't like to cut your sidestand, there are adjustable stands on the market. See pic.

I went for a ride with a passenger and had to crank up the preload on the rear. Now without the passenger, the rear sits high enough to lean it further onto the sidestand. The ride is harsher but I think this will be my solution until I can get a center stand.
"Life is a deathbound train"

2024 Energica Experia
@motoproponent on Youtube
Pages: [1]