• May 08, 2024, 12:22:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: It's finally here!  (Read 4058 times)

Specter

• View Profile
Re: It's finally here!
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2024, 06:18:48 AM »

Bringing the EGO to the shop wednesday to have the suspension set for me, on it, and probably put some track tires on it.  It's a bit too cold yet for slicks and I don't want to fk around with tire warmers quite yet.  Took the Ribelle to the track today for a romp.  Man that was fun, but crap, tore up my street tires pretty good :D   Gonna need to get 3 sets of tires.  DOT regular, Cold Track, Slicks and ill be good to go.

The Ribelle handled great, I needed to let some air out of the tires, running at what they recommend them tears up tires on hard corners,  about 32 psi is working so far, still tweaking with it.   Most interesting thing, I thought for sure i'd eat the hell out of the battery but NO !!  A 20 minute run took maybe 15 to 20 percent off it, and I was hitting WOT fairly often and I think my slowest corner I was taking at about 50 mph. I guess I can say it averaged 1 percent per mile, which is NOT bad considering how you ride a bike on the track, it's NOT a sunday drive thats for sure!

I brought my fast charger and limited it to 50 amp AC in, which is about 35 amp on the bikes dash since that is all they gave me is 50 amp service.  Still plenty of time to charge the bike up to like 98 percent, I actually cut it short, didn't feel like dicking around with the last 2 percent for however long it wanted to take to balance.

Cant wait to get the EGO on the track, but Jennings GP, honestly the Ribelle is all you'll ever need there, there really is not any room to open that ego up to what it can do!  (the brand new on ramp to I10 now, oh wait, nevermind).  Im so used to riding the Ribelle, on track, and it's my street bike of course, getting on the EGO is going to be such a different experience, I hope I learn it as quick as I did the Ribelle.

Even stock brakes on the Ribelle when you are slamming it from 120 mph to 60 mph in 300 to 400 feet, it handled it just fine. I am pretty sure the EGO is going to do even better since it has upgraded brakes on it, and a much  better suspension.

Was initially worried how it was going to handle charging and with my setup if it'd be enough, now I see it is going to be tons of plenty, for BOTH bikes! and everything else.

Next week is an off weekend, following I'll be at the track with my EGO fully setup for me and ready to go!  Now my only problem is my new leathers, holy shit, they are like a straight jacket, I sure hope they open up a bit, I really don't want to send them to Cali to get the chest opened up if I can help it, don't want to wait the month(s) it'd probably take.

One thing I DID learn, now I know what use a tank bag would be.  Track leathers have no pockets, so nowhere to put the ribelle key for the wireless system.  I also have a Dragy lap timer and it needs to see the phone, (not happy about that so will probably get an official chromo since I will need it when I eventually do get good enough to get into racing)  But putting a tank bag on,attached to the frame so it's considered tethered, would be great to hold your keys, phone, gps, whatever you need!

Ill post again in a few weeks once I get the EGO out and let you all know how it handles, although I am certain it'll handle a lot better than I currently am capable of handing it :)

Aaron

PS ill try to get the photographer to get some action photos.  Was going to get some today but had a major wreck and they life flighted the guy out via helicopter so that pretty much killed the photo shoot for the morning.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2024, 07:14:41 AM »

^^^^ AWESOME!!!

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2024, 04:23:07 AM »

One thing I am noticing Pard, the Ribelle, you are sitting pretty upright up so your center of balance is pretty much straight up and down, if the bike starts leaning you got some umph to push down your leg to get it back where it needs to be, when at a standstill.  The EGO now, you are hunched over it and straddled over it, your center of gravity is NOT pivoted straight down over your legs to get you lots of leverage, if that bike starts leaning, you are NOT planted to hold the bitch up, you are laying on it, with little leg torque to stop it from going over, and maybe it's just because my suspension is not right but the EGO feels a lot more top heavy, at standstill then the Ribelle is.

I am hoping a lot of that goes away when I can get myself flat footed on it and a firm stand on the ground, vs. my current more tippy toe holding the bike upright.We'll see Wednesday after I get it back from the shop.  Then two weeks later when I get it on the track for a little R and D on my cornering!  Need to figure out why I am tearing up tires, although some have told me that this track is just rotten on tires period. The leading edges are worn down and there are globs of rubber cemented on the tire a bit back from the leading edges.  I can see where a few times I was riding on the sidewall and in fact I think I know when!! I felt it start slipping or like bouncing once or twice on turn 8 coming into 9 and backed WAY down, thankfully I had a warning and didn't lowside, but yah, that would have been a rough way to learn your current limit! 

Too bad there aren't more people out here with electric bikes. Id LOVE to have a track day with just E bikes whirring around the track!

Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2024, 06:52:25 AM »

You will acclimate to the EGO for sure.  Just give yourself time.

Yes, tires wear rapidly when you ride track.  They are a consumable like fuel. 2 maybe 3 track days on a set of hypersport tires (DOT street legal high performance tires).

Consult the tire vendors at your track and the expert riders.  They will help you set proper pressure.

A rule of thumb that generally works is you should see an increase of 10% front, up to 20% rear cold to hot pressure if the inflation is correct. 

So lets say you set the rear at 32 psi cold, you should see around 35 -38 psi right when you get off the track.

Front set to 36 cold should be around 40 when you get back to the paddock.

If the pressure rises too much you have too little air in the tire.  Add a pound or two psi and try again.  If the pressure does not rise enough, take out a pound or two of air.

One of the benefits of tire warmers, even on no slick tires, is the ability to set hot tire pressure and not have to see what type of change you experience hot to cold.

My hot pressures on the Rebelle on Hypersport tires are 36 rear and 40 front HOT.

The Energica has a ton of weight shifted on to that front tire when you scrub speed (that massive battery) so you need very different tire pressure settings compared to other bikes at the track.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 07:07:09 AM by Pard »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2024, 06:03:27 PM »

Ive noticed that with the speed .vs. weight you can feel it really dive sometimes when you have to hit the brakes a bit harder than you wished you did, had some clown passed me in a turn we got into the setup for the straight away him dead in front of me and for some reason he slowed WAY down. I ended up standing on the brakes and going wide, the guy behind us flew by both of us heading for the weeds, he was not happy.

I got some looks when I was talking about the bike and others were saying yah, mine weighs 350,  380 lbs give or take and im saying, yah, mine weighs almost 600.   Had a few come up to me after a session and say holy shit I had no idea that thing could take off like that, I was right behind you and we got into the straight and you were gone!  I was polite of course but was thinking, what, you didn't think a heavy bike could be fast, or you didn't think electric bikes could be fast, (even given a motor is nothing but torque)

One thing I did notice I got a little pulsation in my front brake now, it's not bad but wondering if I goobered up a brake pad, I don't see anything on the rotor, but they do have 10k miles on them.  That's one thing I will have to do with the Ribelle is get the suspension adjusted as well when I get the chance.  Soon enough I'll be hauling both bikes along and there's generally a guy there from one of the Moto shops that does just that thing.  I'll grab a set of tires off him and have him set the suspenion too, maybe he'll cut me a bit of a deal :)

You need to come down this way, lets do a track weekend!  Weather is a lot nicer down here than where you are, let's make it a long fishing / biking weekend heh!  I'll help you talk the old lady into letting you go :D :D

Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2024, 07:20:27 PM »

;D

most

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2024, 04:43:35 PM »

Owning now my 3rd Energica I can say the only way to avoid brake judder is to not use the brakes AT ALL. Nether. Undo mo circumstances ;D.
Anything else will come with a certain likeliness that judder will appear sooner (3-5000km) or later (8-10000km).
Experia - see also my videos
Consumption:

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2024, 12:05:29 AM »

Well, you can almost accomplish that in normal riding with regen set high, using the brakes only for emergency or final 2 foot of stopping so it's not a sloppy walk but they have minimal application. 
On the track now, you have no choice, when you are doing 120 and the turn is coming up in 400 feet, you better start braking, and pretty hard too. 
One thing I did notice about it, after a while, after I came into some corners a little hotter than I wanted to and used the brakes VERY hard, it seemed to go away a bit like I burned a bit of it off.  My tires sure seen the brunt of it, I will put track tires on next run, I used my Michelin road 6 and although they did well, they are a bit expensive for the track and it blobbed them up pretty good. 
I will have 3 sets of tires.  Road, Cold Track, Slicks I think from now on.  One thing at a time.  need to get used to the EGO first so I can start pushing it like the Ribelle and then see what I can do to make everything the same so I dont have a million spares. 
Right now the R's brakes seemed to do very well on the track, but ultimately I think id be best to ultimately as I wear it out, switch UP to the better brakes and suspension like is on the EGO,so both bikes / same parts.  The olin shocks will be costly im sure but in the end, this sport is not cheap.  By doing so I can use parts interchangeably between BOTH bikes as needed.

Im estimating every track day is about 500 dollars.  At least im not spending 2 to 300 dollars on hi octane oxygenated gas to run the thing!  120 dollars for 5 gallons of gas is fkn insane.  The fun is worth it though, and you DO learn street skills too, so you can react faster and with more confidence on the road if some shit goes up in front of you and you have to do a duck and lean to get out of it's path.

Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2024, 10:30:15 PM »

@Specter  Do you use your rear brake?

This bike benefits from full utilization of rear brake along with front brake when riding track.

The rear brake application causes the rear to squat down a bit as it slows the bike, helping reduce the load transfer to the front a bit, while helping to share the slowing load with the front brake.

If you find it too hard to use your foot and modulate the rear brake application (I can't do it very well), then have a left hand rear brake or thumb brake installed.

Makes a big difference IMHO.

You can try using rear brake next time you are on the track.  Apply it in the braking zone while upright, along with  the front.  I think you will feel the difference.

Two excellent videos linked to below:

https://fb.watch/qjf7Gc0ZGn/

210 MPH down to 70 in a few seconds ... they use the rear brake to help the front...

https://youtu.be/e0EqTjPEvV4?feature=shared

Good video that explains the geometry changes that rear brake provides.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 06:55:51 PM by Pard »

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2024, 06:27:31 AM »

Well I got her out on the track today.  Wow, where to begin.
First off, there were a LOT of people pretty much the entire day asking questions about the bike, and complimenting on how awesome it looks.  Several folks mentioned, this is the first E bike i seen in person, so spent of time showing it off.  Awesome bike, im proud to show it off, especially the way they built it for me, total quality through and through.

At first I had the power setting down low until I got comfortable with the bike.  I am used to riding the Ribelle in a relaxed position, this EGO is hard core race bike, you are hunched over, and my little squat ass is on the balls of my feet not able to touch the ground fully with both planted feed.  It came with 200/65 tires on it, so yah it's tall.  I found that it didn't take long at all to get used to it, the bike is like it just naturally knew what it needed to do and I wanted to do. 

Going around turns was a breeze and it was tight as crap, I found myself sometimes almost turning too tight, basically telling me, ok I can open up the speed on this one a bit, get your crap together Aaron :D.  By the end of the morning sessions I was taking turns at 60 to 75 mph with this one that I was only doing maybe 50 on the Ribelle, because it just handled them so much better, the suspension squat right in and held beautifully, no wobbldy whoop going around corners, and a very crisp stand back up.  in fact coming out of corners, I was accellerating about 40 percent into the turn and really hammering it once i got pointed the direction I wanted to be.  The ribelle you better be pretty well already facing where you want to before romping the throttle, this one, it's a smooth takeoff and you better hold on when you do romp it.  Speed, after the first round, I was pretty confident so opened up the power band to max, and opened up my regen to max as well.  I wish the regen was a little more powerful, I really love it for controlling the bike, especially around corners.  IT's a good way to shed speed if you did not get too obnoxious with the throttle.

Jennings has a long loping back turn that you are at a lean angle but it's pretty much a straight run and you can get some speed up, but you BETTER shed it by turn 3 or VERY soon afterwards because while 3 is a loping left, 4 is a son of a bitch right and 5 is right after 4 with a sharp left, if you are coming into 3 hot you are going to jam yourself on 4 and probably end up in the grass.  THe bike is deceptive.  I was on that back run, tucked over, throttle open, .. enjoying the ride, the wind screaming in my helmet should have been a warning to check my speed.  I came up approaching on 3 at about 135, hmm. You don't realize how fast you are putting speed on.

Ive taken it at about 80 before but HARD brake to hit 4 at about 50 ish and about 45 on 5.  (Im a novice here so as I get better I am sure my speeds will get better but for now this is about the max of my current comfort zone.)  I laid on those brakes HARD or Id be in the grass, and the grass is NOT smooth, it's lumpy as shit and you are not going to just smoothly make your way back on the track most times.  Well, when you hammer the brakes hard, the bike does want to stand up, so any lean angle you may have is going away, I hit the brakes harder.  (yes rookie mistake, this was totally MY fault) Let me tell you those front brakes are just insane STUPID strong!!  That bike shed speed like you would not believe.  In fact when I let off the brakes, they were still angry at me and chattering for about a second after, at the end of that stunt.  I was slow enough to finally get into the turn so bent it way over.  The bike just slapped over on it's side and like nothing I made the turn, pretending like I really wanted to do that all along  8)

This is another problem I have, I tend to do 'street rider' and have my feet out in front of the pedal, when i take a hard turn, it starts dragging the side of my foot on the asphalt, ok dummy, put your foot further back on the peddle and KEEP IT THERE.  Two turns later, I am dragging my knee, it scraped the ground.. ok so the bike takes stupid sharp turns.  The Ribelle would have been bouncing at this point.  (Not to Dis the Ribelle, I am pretty positive that is completely tune outable with some suspension adjustments, but the EGO is just designed for this stuff SO much better out of the box to begin with)

My first run was about 13 miles in the 20 minute period.  After that i was averaging 20 to 22 or so miles per 20 minute run, so picked up my game significantly

Battery, the battery held out stupid good, thru ALL that, I was averaging about a percent drop per mile, although at about 40 percent left it really started cascading with the abuse I was hitting it with.  I started at 96 percent and ended the morning run at 26 percent battery left with 68 miles travelled on the track.

The plug I was at was rated at 50 amps but the breaker was weak so I could only put about 35 amps into the bike w/o tripping it, so charging was a bit slower than I wanted but I still got back up to 94 percent after lunch break was over and our turn was next on the track.  The battery never hit yellow BUT, after a particularly hard run, I immediately recharged, (I was going to let someone else try the bike and wanted a full bat for him) it did curtail my charging from 30 dialed in to only 24 allowed, and did this for about 5 or 6 minutes then walked it right up to the asked for 30 amps.  Me thinks core temp was a bit warm so it did that.  The sun was burning down on the bike too, and with the black fairings and the battery enclosed in that, I am sure it did not help matters.

I let someone else try the bike and he let me on his ninja, that was a lot of fun too.  At the end of our sessions, he drove the EGO back and just said, wow,   I thought electric bikes were kind of a joke but THAT thing, is sick.  Now I understand what you meant when you said, you can get yourself in trouble with it pretty quick if you are not careful.  At one point I was thinking, is this bike giving me everything it is able to do? but after hearing the guy racing crotch rockets saying, this bike is scary, I just said to myself, well I guess it is, it's probably just the adrenaline you don't realize how stupid fast you really are taking off.

At the end of the day, a lot of people checking out the bike and basically loving it.  Trust me, I love it too at this point.  Well, I take that back, I think I am going to actually hate this bike.  It is going to cost me a LOT of money in tires and track days here!!

The bike was very limber, it handled super well, even with a novice on the seat, braking is just obscene on it for those oh shit moments, and the acceleration is passing liter bikes for the short few seconds before you gotta jam brakes for the turn at least :D

Jennings is a really fun track but it's all turns, most of them left.  i wish there was a track close that you could easily get on that you could just pop the thing and open it up.  Well there is the new service road / on ramp they just built... yah, I better not  ;D

It's a bit top heavy, as we all know, and being in quasi moto mode all hunched over it, is a bit awkward on the walk to the starting line during group change, but and as we all know, once you get it going a few mph, it basically is just finger touch steering at that point.

Next track day is end of March, I totally plan on being there again!
If any of you are around north florida, come on in, let's do the track thing, I got your charge up covered !

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2024, 11:26:51 AM »

Excellent write-up Sir.. ;D

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2024, 05:14:30 PM »

Well done!

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2024, 09:52:26 PM »

So I got the data downloaded out of my track suit and analyzed it.  Yah, I didn't mention a few other mistakes I made during the day, ie running into the grass once when I got jammed by someone passing me on a turn, (I should have just let off the throttle harder and let the asshole pass me, instead of thinking he would do it properly and NOT fucking slow down once he got in front of me and was too wide on  his turn.)  In retrospect I SEEN the turn coming up fast, and knew it was a lower speed turn and should have just backed out and let him do his thing, and get himself in trouble instead of forcing me into the fray as well when he cut off my path to the meatball.  This is how I knew the grass was NOT a smooth ride in my last write up, it jerked and yanked you all over the place, at 64 mph. My heavier bike was able to slug thru it more and not bounce about so much as a little 300 lb bike might.   I think the bike weighing 580 lbs was a major factor in me not taking  a tumble, I was able to get slowed down and aimed at the track again, it seemed like 4 or 5 seconds to me, but after seeing the data capture was a little over just once second.  Got on the track again, he was about stopped, waved at me (im assuming that was an apology) and we kept on our way.

My previous comment about the bike standing up on a hard braking in a slight turn.  Im thinking it's more, the bike is stopping FAST.  I am NOT a part of the bike, I am just hitching a ride, so not being bolted down to the thing, my body position is changing, ie sliding  forward under the decel, pushing me back up in to the front of the seat, (which of course eliminates any lean I have going on, which of course eliminates the bikes command to turn) so that's why it was standing back up, because I am being forced up into the seat, or pulling myself into the seat with the far hand, forcing it.  I was trying to figure out the why this is happening thing, but after seeing the hard data, the speed, the lean angle, the g forces being generated, etc I understand pretty well now.  I need to get any heavy braking done BEFORE any thoughts of leaning for a turn, and let the regen take care of any additional lesser braking I may need to do during the turn.

Being able to see a tick by tick of your entire race day is pretty awesome but holy crap a lot of data is being saved, gigs worth.  Being able to see turns, and where you are having problems at and what is happening I think is going to be a fantastic tool towards fixing issues.. and when something don't work, you can see ok this is what went wrong. 

Another thing that is odd is, when there are no other people around you, you are in your own 'area' on the track they are behind you and there is no engine noise, you can hear the tires gripping the pavement on turns, initially this was kind of an 'oh shit' WTF?? because hearing that on a regular road, you are thinking crap, I hit some sand in the road or something and my tires are sliding, but no, on the track it's just the tires gripping and doing their thing.  You WILL hear it though if they do start to slide, (yes I felt it too) I pushed one turn a bit too hard and the tires started slipping a little bit, oh you need to learn THAT sound, but being able to hear your tires, is odd, yet kind of cool at the same time.  You can't hear that with an engine screaming at 115 db.

I also forgot to mention that several people posed for pictures by the bike as well.  Not sure why but I had no problems with it. I feel that anything we can do to positively promote electric bikes in the long run, makes it better for us overall.  The more people are familiar with them or want one themselves, the more support we should see in the long run... hopefully.

I just need to do the time to get better on it and more comfortable with it, more familiar and hopefully by the end of the season I'll have my racing license... and be spending even MORE money.

Aaron
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:56:23 PM by Specter »

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2024, 03:01:30 PM »

^^^ Outstanding!  Did you record any video?

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2024, 01:52:59 AM »

NO I DID NOT !!  >:(
The tether thingie for my camera did not work and I didn't want the camera flying off on the track so left it at the trailer.
I have one of those x grip things on the bike and while it holds the phone nice and snugly one good pothole will pop the thing out and if you are not fast to notice and catch it, you are doing a U TURN using the cardo to find your friggin phone,

The photographer that is normally at the track taking pictures, decided to ride that day as well, instead of taking pictures / vids
so hoping in a few weeks when it is an open track again, Ill be able to get some videos as well as stills.

Hopefully I can find some time to get stuff all set up for next track day and get some photos for you.  I was thinking of a helmet mounted camera but I tend to scan a lot and not just look straight ahead and that would probably get annoying as hell on video.

Aaron
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7