• May 07, 2024, 04:10:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Experia getting a replacement ‘Charger Control Unit’  (Read 798 times)

• View Profile
Experia getting a replacement ‘Charger Control Unit’
« on: February 11, 2024, 12:41:34 AM »

Hey — my dealership/shop says my Experia LE needs a replacement ‘charger control unit.’ It isn’t surprising given a number of codes pointed to the charging manager. Just wondering how worried I should or shouldn’t be given that I have fewer than 500 miles. Also, how extensive in days/weeks is a repair like this? Thanks

smithy

• View Profile
Re: Experia getting a replacement ‘Charger Control Unit’
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 03:20:50 AM »

Hey — my dealership/shop says my Experia LE needs a replacement ‘charger control unit.’ It isn’t surprising given a number of codes pointed to the charging manager. Just wondering how worried I should or shouldn’t be given that I have fewer than 500 miles. Also, how extensive in days/weeks is a repair like this? Thanks

Unfortunate for you, I have nearly 19,000km on my Experia without any major issues. I guess it depends on which country you're in and how far you are from you dealer....and whether they have ready access to replacement parts etc..

Some owners are many 1000's of kms away from their nearest dealer so logistics of doing major work is difficult.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 03:45:03 AM »

I see you're in northern CA. Is your dealer A&S?  Anyway, I expect the big delay will be getting the CCU. And that is guesswork with Energica lately.

Don't believe anything until your dealer has the CCU.

Can you still charge with AC?  With DC?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 05:19:00 AM »

Energica tends to be decent on warranty work, I have a minor issue that was repaired promptly.  They were a bit backed up early last year to the middle of the year but seem to be doing a lot better now on getting stuff shipped out in a timely manner.

Unfortunately it sounds like you just got a bum part.  That happens from time to time no matter who you buy something from.

Please keep us informed on how the repair goes for you.

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 09:28:53 AM »

Smithy — Good to hear about yours. Mine was riding just fine too, but correlation vs. causation these issues started the 2nd ride after getting firmware 43.

DonTom — My dealer is CalMoto, which means the South SF location of Energica isn't too much farther either. It wouldn't acknowledge the AC EVSE, and I didn't have a chance to try DC.

Specter — Thanks for sharing about your experience, and I hope it's fast too.

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 09:45:08 AM »

Smithy — Good to hear about yours. Mine was riding just fine too, but correlation vs. causation these issues started the 2nd ride after getting firmware 43.

I've had .43 on mine for quite some time..I believe it was not too long after it was released. My bike has been charging and running fine since, no issues to report.

Smithy.
When I die, I wan't to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 02:46:04 AM »

Update:
Well, I didn't get the news I had hoped for. Instead, I learned they plugged in the replacement part yesterday/Friday, but it didn't solve the problem. They said the experia "will run, but as soon as you plug it back in it locks up and will not charge." They're sending the data to Italy.

If they can actually get it into 'Go' mode and ride it, that's at least better than what I was able to do in December and January etc. Appreciate the interest from you all so far.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 04:54:00 AM »

Update & Question:
13 days ago was when the dealer replied that the replacement part didn't solve the problem and trying to charge causes issues despite not actually charging. They said the data was sent to Italy. So I asked today what the dealer had heard from Italy, and I'm curious what you all think of the dealer's answers from today.

Dealer: We have not heard back from Italy. [Tech] sent off a download earlier this week.
Me: ....How was the download the [Tech] sent this week different from the data sent 13 days ago?
Dealer: ....I believe this one was for a test run with the new module.

For an Experia purchased in early autumn, my worry grows every day.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 07:47:52 PM »

While I can not comment on your particular situation, I have had dealers LIE to me before concerning stuff they supposedly 'sent' or 'ordered' from Italy, only to find out it never happened, or they just did it a week ago, and not the month ago they said they did.

My experiences have always been they are pretty quick with customer service, and following up on stuff like this.
You need to bug the shit out of your dealer, tell the dealer, well CALL them and get an update, otherwise it's just, 'Here is another annoying customer, Ill smile and lie on the phone, hangup, and not do a fucking thing because I don't care'.

I ordered a brake handle, waited MONTHS for it, only to eventually find out, the thing was in the box with the other thing I ordered the whole time, the dealer didn't bother emptying the box out completely or he'd have SEEN it, or reading the bill of sale that came in with it that showed it clearly in the contents of that box.

It's easy to blame the other guy, when that person is not in the room with you at the time.  Vehicle dealers rank right up there with lawyers and politicians on the honesty scale.  Keep that in mind.

Aaron

smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 03:12:13 AM »

My dealer has been nothing but "up front" with me, never any hint of misleading etc...if they say they did something, I can be pretty confident they did.

Smithy.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 11:19:31 PM »

Finally got my Experia back, and it wasn't the Charge Manager/Charger Control Unit. Quickly before I get to the actual issue, a line from the explanation speaks to why this was such a lengthy ordeal. Something like 'the bike did what it was supposed to do, checking all the things and looking for issues as you start it up, but it wasn't able to communicate this very unique problem. Instead it communicated faults that would be like the dominoes down the line.'

I was told that it was the wiring to the push-button switch at the charge receptacle. Apparently the insulation on the wire had worn through and was connecting with metal. This resulted in a ground fault/short circuit. I think I was told they replaced the wire, and I definitely remember being told that they added insulation and positioned it differently. Also, that they gave feedback to the team in Italy.

Since this forum is often for getting help or helping others, here are some facts. After the 2nd diagnostic fault, the shop was trouble-shooting remotely. Combining remote and in-shop, they were diagnosing and trouble-shooting for more than 80 days. Eventually, I contacted Energica in South San Francisco and only asked if they were familiar with the timeline. They immediately retrieved my experia and had it back to me diagnosed and fixed within 2 weeks. Again, this has been described as a never-before-seen issue, and so I figure a long duration makes sense despite how frustrated I was.

(Lastly, I think I'd want to change the title of this topic so it can be more accurate now. Can I do that and how?)

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 02:40:10 AM »

See, this is the kind of crap I am talking about with dealers.
YOU are NOT important to your dealer.  Once they get your money they don't give a FUCK, unless they think they can sell you something else.

So it sounds like what you were saying is, the moment you contacted the company (Energica) directly, they got your bike, got it fixed and back to you, .vs. the dealer who took months of 'troubleshooting' ?

The guy can look at your bike this week, e mail them 3 days later with the info, get an update back saying, check this and that, put it on his calendar, and go 'look' at your bike a week later.  Ok that didn't fix it,  3 days later, e mail energica back with their findings when they get around to it, get a reply the next day, well ok, check THIS... oh ok, so a week later, check the next thing.  on and on and on.

Now a month later YOU call for an update,  Oh were in contact with them, were VERY busy troubleshooting!!!  the dealer is NOT going to give YOU any priority, they don't give a shit, in fact the longer they can drag it out, the more hours they can charge YOU or Energica for the work they are doing!!!

This isn't just the Energica dealer, which I don't think there are ANY 'energica only' dealers, but rather other dealers, ie like BMW, or Eurocycles who decided to also sell their bikes etc, who are NO different than Ford, Chevy, pick any other vehicle company.  YOU are just a pawn they can manipulate to get money, and if it's a warranty fix, all the better, now we REALLY can rape them, because it's a guaranteed YES to 'fixing it'.

once you actually contacted the company, they jumped on it and got it analyzed and fixed VERY quickly, all things considering.  Yes, thats typical for Energica, they as a company actually DO care about their customers!! and will,  as you see, bend over backwards to keep the customers happy.  They are just not always fully aware of what REALLY is going on at the dealers.  If the dealer is telling them everything is dandy, and the customers are not callling in bitching or inquiring about things, they have no way to know.  A dealer is never going to tell them, yeah, were fucked up ... either btw...

Any kind of power fault, typically shows up as a blatant 'Power Block' for lack of a better term to use, error.  especially if stuff is grounding.  While and AC charger may not show this, a DC CCS charger should pop this fault and tell you directly if it's one of the smarter ones.  The bike is VERY picky about grounding issues, and absolutely has that fault.   While I can not speak with any absolute authority on your problem specifically, we see similar in the power industry, ok the 120 DC bus is grounded (again) it's a transient,  shit, god dammit. sigh.... ok when did it come in and when did it go out.. look at the logs, what were they trying to do?  what valves were cycled, what switches made? what was the first out?, did they get a readout of 'when' actually did the fault pop up, that right there should have led them real quick to a place to look.  It checks insulation before letting the juice flow, and should have gotten a 'charge initialization, bus ground failure' or whatever the fault was logged as.

Energica knows this, which is probably why they were able to go, OH, yah, here it is!!! get the part from italy and your bike back, in a week or two, but a bike mechanic, doing electrical work...in a dealership...yah, not so much.

Im glad you got your bike back and it's running!  Hopefully for good this time. Im sorry it took so long.

As for changing the title here, if it allows you to edit your initial post, you may be able to that way,  SMF may let you if it's set up that way and you have that permission, otherwise, nope, it's stuck that way, but still, there are relatively few experia posts with hard problems like this, so what you posted is pretty pertinent to the eventual problem.  Id not worry about it too much.

Thank you very much though for the follow up.  We DO appreciate it.  Many people come in, asking for help, get their issue fixed and never see / hear them again, so it doesn't help much for future readers.

Take care
Aaron
Pages: [1]